Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
My starting point 🤷‍♀️

(I'll just edit and add pics as I go to this post on this thread)

Gotta get plywood to cover walls
Continued...

I rotated the pig hut so that the roof will slant to the right, the front "door" will be open yr round and it faces the front of what the pen will be.

Still working on filling in that back wall!

ETA more pics and the back wall is done

Attachments

• 20220813_173849.jpg
    20220813_173849.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220813_180359.jpg
    20220813_180359.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220813_180916.jpg
    20220813_180916.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220813_181614.jpg
    20220813_181614.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220813_182103.jpg
    20220813_182103.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_183030.jpg
    20220813_183030.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_183454.jpg
    20220813_183454.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_192249.jpg
    20220813_192249.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_195003.jpg
    20220813_195003.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220813_195013.jpg
    20220813_195013.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220813_195213.jpg
    20220813_195213.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Some of you have commented on using the Sawzall approach to breaking down pallet wood. I liked this YouTube video I watched this evening on that method. What I liked was how she had made a pallet stand for breaking down pallets. Notice the vertical 2X4 on the pallet stand where she screws in the pallet to be broken down. Great idea. Holds the break down pallet in place while you work on it.

:old Also, I liked the method of keeping the break down pallet vertical where I would not have to be bending over to cut the boards off if the pallet to break down was sitting on the ground.

⚠️ I personally don't use the Sawzall method very often, because it leaves the nail heads in the planks and the nail bottoms in the 2X4 stretchers. You can use a punch to take out the nail heads from the planks, but I have yet to find a way to remove the nail bottoms from the 2X4 stretchers. If you have a use for the stretchers without having to cut them to size, then I guess it's not an issue. But I don't want to have lumber with nails in it anywhere near my saws with spinning blades. Free wood would cost a lot if I had to buy new blades on my saws or planers.

:caf Would love to hear any thoughts or comments on the methods you use to break down your pallets, and the pro's and con's of the various methods for your projects. I find it helpful to know a number of different ways to break down a pallet because the pallets are not all built the same way. Your pallet project may have some consideration on what break down method you choose.

I enjoyed that. I've always used a cement breaker bar as a lever to pry the boards off...it's a pain in the bleep but works. I'm not handy enough to make one of those tools you did...and I'm too cheap to buy one 😂

I have a hackzall...it's Milwaukee's lighter version of the sawzall. I use that just like you use your circular saw to cut between the heavier boards in the center. The stretchers? At any rate...if shorter boards will work then I just do that.

I like the way she did it...I've got so many projects in progress right now...but I'm itching to get some pallets and try that. Not sure my hackzall will handle it as well but can borrow my daughter's sawzall if needed. I have lots of punches if needed...but think I could work around most of the heads and just remove them if needed.

I want to build a new doghouse...pallets might be perfect for it. But...I know it's not likely that I can start that until sometime in November at the earliest.

Loving @Hedgeland Farms hog shed build...that could make a great dog house too. I have a ton of osb that I got for $2 a sheet. Could use it in place of plywood. Make a pallet frame and then cut apart some pallets for siding to pretty it up.

I haven't used a lot of osb. It feels pretty flimsy and looks like it's meant for interior something or other. Curious how it'll hold up over a pallet frame if well primed and painted.

I enjoyed that. I've always used a cement breaker bar as a lever to pry the boards off...it's a pain in the bleep but works. I'm not handy enough to make one of those tools you did...and I'm too cheap to buy one 😂

I have a hackzall...it's Milwaukee's lighter version of the sawzall. I use that just like you use your circular saw to cut between the heavier boards in the center. The stretchers? At any rate...if shorter boards will work then I just do that.

I like the way she did it...I've got so many projects in progress right now...but I'm itching to get some pallets and try that. Not sure my hackzall will handle it as well but can borrow my daughter's sawzall if needed. I have lots of punches if needed...but think I could work around most of the heads and just remove them if needed.

I want to build a new doghouse...pallets might be perfect for it. But...I know it's not likely that I can start that until sometime in November at the earliest.

Loving @Hedgeland Farms hog shed build...that could make a great dog house too. I have a ton of osb that I got for $2 a sheet. Could use it in place of plywood. Make a pallet frame and then cut apart some pallets for siding to pretty it up.

I haven't used a lot of osb. It feels pretty flimsy and looks like it's meant for interior something or other. Curious how it'll hold up over a pallet frame if well primed and painted.
So, we've had OSB outside uncovered for probably 3m or more...its held up GREAT to the elements!!! I bet primed and painted it'll last a long while!!

ETA ours is 1/2 and 3/4 thick...

Some of you have commented on using the Sawzall approach to breaking down pallet wood. I liked this YouTube video I watched this evening on that method. What I liked was how she had made a pallet stand for breaking down pallets. Notice the vertical 2X4 on the pallet stand where she screws in the pallet to be broken down. Great idea. Holds the break down pallet in place while you work on it.

:old Also, I liked the method of keeping the break down pallet vertical where I would not have to be bending over to cut the boards off if the pallet to break down was sitting on the ground.

⚠️ I personally don't use the Sawzall method very often, because it leaves the nail heads in the planks and the nail bottoms in the 2X4 stretchers. You can use a punch to take out the nail heads from the planks, but I have yet to find a way to remove the nail bottoms from the 2X4 stretchers. If you have a use for the stretchers without having to cut them to size, then I guess it's not an issue. But I don't want to have lumber with nails in it anywhere near my saws with spinning blades. Free wood would cost a lot if I had to buy new blades on my saws or planers.

:caf Would love to hear any thoughts or comments on the methods you use to break down your pallets, and the pro's and con's of the various methods for your projects. I find it helpful to know a number of different ways to break down a pallet because the pallets are not all built the same way. Your pallet project may have some consideration on what break down method you choose.
I suck at breaking down pallets! (Case and point the pig hut 🤣🤣🤣🤣) I may try this method on other builds...

The idea to use whole pallets came to me from Rural King if you look how they section off their displays with pallets...they connect them (one on back 2 on sides) and I started thinking...that I can do...and can then cover the interior walls to fill in the gaps...takes out a lot of measuring and fitting together...

But it probably costs more...I have abt 200 in the lumber for the pig hut...if I broke down pallets it would have been cheaper 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom