Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
somehow I missed notification. I need time to catch up - 21 pages!

There are so many great threads on the BYC forum, that I know I don't have time to keep up with everything I would like to read each day. If you have an interest in pallet projects, I am hoping that this thread will be the go-to source for information and inspiration for all things pallet project related.

:idunno I tried keeping up with the "What Did You Do In The Garden Today" thread, but it was impossible for me read that many posts every day and still have a life outside of BYC forums.

Most of my current pallet projects are gardening related, including pallet raised beds, pallet planters, pallet garden tool holder, and pallet potting bench. But a number of people requested/suggested that I start a thread specifically for pallet projects in general.

:clapHope you find some inspiration in these pages. I know I have.

While this plant stand isn't exactly made out of pallets, it could be, so I hope this is okay to post here for inspiration. I used free wood that came with pallets for the slats (I think it was for some kind of crate?) and scraps I had lying around. Some of the wood was horribly warped and had to be forced into place, but it worked out great for what we needed and I didn't need to buy anything extra.

d75_2208-jpg.3228689

While this plant stand isn't exactly made out of pallets, it could be, so I hope this is okay to post here for inspiration. I used free wood that came with pallets for the slats (I think it was for some kind of crate?) and scraps I had lying around. Some of the wood was horribly warped and had to be forced into place, but it worked out great for what we needed and I didn't need to buy anything extra.

d75_2208-jpg.3228689
That looks fantastic ❤️

Got my second pallet raised bed in place out in the backyard. It's the one on the left. I will be turning it into a hügelkultur raised bed, using wood logs on the bottom, then a layer of sticks and branches, followed by a layer of green organics, then the top 6-8 inches will be a chicken run compost and top soil mixed 1:1.

View attachment 3237277

In the background, you can see my chicken coop and run. I am slowly moving all my gardening from my main garden (that does not have running water) to here behind my house where I can hook up a hose and sprinkler. Our summers have been getting hotter, with less rainfall, so my main garden has really suffered. My raised beds here in the backyard are doing really great.

Also, I think it's a better idea to have my garden next to my chicken coop and run. I use my chicken run compost to feed the raised beds, and the raised beds feed the family. The chickens get our leftovers and kitchen scraps, and the chickens make more compost. And so the cycle continues...
I see you have a couple of planters/garden beds on legs. How do you like those? I'm contemplating building some next to my chicken run, but I'm not sure about the logistics of having them on leg like that

:clap That's a nice piece of inside furniture! Great job. It sure falls within the scope of (potential) pallet projects. I know I have used reclaimed wood on my projects as well - not just pallet wood. It's still in the spirit of the thread and thank you very much for uploading the picture.

BTW, I have found inspiration in some expensive cedar wood projects, but just use free pallet wood instead. I don't expect pallet wood to last as long as cedar wood, but I'm enjoying building things so that is my motivation.

:clap That's a nice piece of inside furniture! Great job. It sure falls within the scope of (potential) pallet projects. I know I have used reclaimed wood on my projects as well - not just pallet wood. It's still in the spirit of the thread and thank you very much for uploading the picture.

BTW, I have found inspiration in some expensive cedar wood projects, but just use free pallet wood instead. I don't expect pallet wood to last as long as cedar wood, but I'm enjoying building things so that is my motivation.
Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm a novice woodworker and it was my first time creating half-lap joints. :) It was a challenge to figure out what I could do with the small amount of lumber I had. I didn't really have a plan - I just figured it out as i went.

I see you have a couple of planters/garden beds on legs. How do you like those? I'm contemplating building some next to my chicken run, but I'm not sure about the logistics of having them on leg like that

I have 3 of those planters. They are elevated sub-irrigated planters. There is a pond liner on the inside to make a waterproof reservoir on the bottom. These planters have 4 inch perforated drain lines in the bottom, and an overflow hole drilled into the planter at 3 inches. That leaves a minimum of a 1 inch air gap in the planter between the water level and the potting soil. I have a fill tube at the end of the planter....

1661650980618.jpeg

1661650645678.jpeg

... and I just stick in a strip of pool swimming noodle as a water level indicator cut down to size to fit into the tube. That lets me know at a glance how much water is in the reservoir and if I need to refill it. As the plants drink up the water, the swimming noodle indicator in the tube drops. When the indicator is level with the top of the fill tube, it's time to refill the planter.

I have had my best success with these planters. Last summer, we had a terrible drought and no rainfall all summer. I don't have running water in my main garden, and all my "normal" raised beds dried out and the plants died. I had a couple hügelkultur raised beds in the main garden and they produced some food, but not like a normal year. Anyway, it was a credit to the hügelkultur method that anything grew.

Meanwhile, my elevated sub-irrigated planter on my deck was full of produce...

1661651330840.png

The water reservoir in these planters holds about 15 gallons when full. In a normal summer with average rainfall, I only refill the planter maybe once a month. Last summer, with no rainfall, I had to refill the planter every week. But just look at all that produce (beans) whereas I was growing dust in the main garden.

Since I was at first thinking of making all these planters for the deck, I wanted them on legs. But the same sub-irrigated planter idea would work on a planter sitting on the ground without any legs.

I built these elevated sub-irrigated planters prior to COVID-19 and the sky high lumber prices, yet, it still cost me about $50 in pine wood 5 years ago. Add to that, you would need to buy a liner to hold the water and some perforated drain pipes. That would add maybe another $50 to the project. That build cost me probably just under $100.

Of course, today I might make that same planter using pallet wood and save money there.

Although the elevated sub-irrigated planters are my best producing planters, they are the most expensive planters I have built. Which is why I am now building pallet wood raised beds for my new garden plots and filling them up with the hügelkultur method to hold the water. I have been building all my new hügelkultur raised beds in my backyard where I can run out a hose and hit the beds with a sprinkler whenever I want. In other words, it's not such a big deal to have a built in water reservoir in a planter out there. It's not needed if you have running water.

You really can't move these elevated planters once filled with potting soil and water. They are just too heavy. If I have to move those planters, I have to remove all the potting soil and water first. The planters are 2X4 feet each, and too heavy for me to carry by myself, even when the planters are empty.

The legs worked great on my wood deck, but out in the backyard, the legs are digging into the soil and I noticed that the planters are no longer level. I should have put down some cement pavers first, and then put the planters on the pavers. Next year I might have to empty those 2 planters and reset them on pavers.

For bang for the buck, I am building my pallet wood hügelkultur raised beds out in the backyard...

1661652730825.jpeg

...Filled with hügelkultur wood to act as a giant water sponge...

1661652767304.jpeg

...Added a layer of organics on top of the logs and branches...

1661652794731.jpeg

Next spring, I will top everything off with chicken run compost and top soil mixed 1:1. That will be the topsoil mix for 6-8 inches in each bed. The top boards on the corners will come off as they were only needed to keep everything square while I moved the raised beds to the back yard.

Instead of spending about $100 in new wood at the big box store, I am making these raised beds out of pallet wood and reclaimed lumber for free. Well, pocket hole screws and nails cost about $5.00 per raised bed. It has been one of my favorite pallet projects because I know how much food I can grow in them next summer.

Thanks! I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm a novice woodworker and it was my first time creating half-lap joints. :) It was a challenge to figure out what I could do with the small amount of lumber I had. I didn't really have a plan - I just figured it out as i went.

:bow Well, that stand looks like it was made by a professional! Planned or not, it ended up great.

Just wanted to add that I had to take some of my pallet planks for one of my pallet projects and plane down and sand the wood. It really is amazing how clean, fresh, and differently the wood looks when you take the time to finish it off. You lose the look of pallet wood, but the underlining wood grain pops to life in the process of planning and sanding.

Back
Top Bottom