Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Just a little update on my pallet projects and what is going on with me. I took the old Explorer into town today to pick up 4 or 5 pallets I saw outside one of the places I get pallets. They were there yesterday. Unfortunately, they were gone today. :tongue

So, I missed out on that load. But I stopped at another place and managed to pick up one full sized pallet that was in OK condition, and there was another half pallet at that same place that had some really nice wood on it. I snagged that half pallet as well.

There was another pallet there at that store, about 10 foot long, but I could not fit that into the back of my Explorer. So, I had to leave that one there. I can't pick up any of those long pallets until I can dig my trailer out of the snow. Might be a number of weeks before that happens.

I stopped at one final place on the way home and there were two nice pallets that I wanted to take. Unfortunately, they were frozen hard to the ground. I had to leave them there as well. :tongue

:idunnoWell, it's a really good thing that I picked up lots of pallets last summer because when I miss out on a load, I don't feel too bad.

:caf As for pallet project themselves, I am looking forward to building some top covers to put on my raised beds. Maybe some with hardware cloth to keep out the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc... and maybe some others with plastic on them to make a mini greenhouse or cold frame type of setup.

Here's some pictures of what I have in mind...

223bef9fd22a099ddef95ddc2294f5e6.jpg

R.ab7e04b54f8ae3e9fc5f4f1c404bb1aa

51u8wJFbQML.jpg

I am leaning towards the first A-Frame design with the hardware cloth on it. To make it into a mini greenhouse, I would just staple some plastic on to the frame over the wire. When I don't need the greenhouse plastic, I could just take it off and still have the raised bed protected from varmints by using the hardware cloth.

:tongue Last year I only got about 5 strawberries out of 24 plants. Something was eating all the berries before they ever had a chance to grow to full size and ripen. I don't know if it was birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc... or all of them. Everything was eating my strawberries except me and Dear Wife! I plan on protecting the berries this year with a raised bed cover to stay ahead of the game.

I did something similar...
But not lol...I leanest a pallet up against the Chicken Chalet and they use it ALL THE TIME!

I also made them a graze box using a full (irregular) pallet.

Hubby and I have been married just 18m 🤣🤣🤣
Babies compared to everyone else, but best marriage for me by far!!!

Attachments

• 20230329_173136.jpg
    20230329_173136.jpg
    944.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230326_171554.jpg
    20230326_171554.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Wow! So nice to see so many people stay together! Hubby and I celebrated 36 years this past November. Isn't it great when you marry your best friend? ❤️

@gtaus I think all creatures like strawberries. The squirrels and deer attack mine if I don't cover them. I've caught squirrels eat the green ones too. I like some of the pics you posted. I have metal hoops with netting over mine. I have to lay edging around it or the squirrels go under. It gets to be a hassle to uncover and recover when I pick. Been looking at other options.

@Hedgeland Farms Congrats newlyweds!

I did something similar...
But not lol...I leanest a pallet up against the Chicken Chalet and they use it ALL THE TIME!

I also made them a graze box using a full (irregular) pallet.

Hubby and I have been married just 18m 🤣🤣🤣
Babies compared to everyone else, but best marriage for me by far!!!
Congratulations! :ya

Please elaborate about your graze box. I'm curious, not seen one before.

Congratulations! :ya

Please elaborate about your graze box. I'm curious, not seen one before.

Basically you take all the slats off a pallet except the 2x4s on the side and the one to the far left, and far right top and bottom. Place hardwire cloth over top of it. Plant grass seed under it...and allow to grow.

It's so they don't kill the grass, and still have access to it...even though they are closed in...

Here's a site...but you CAN do this with pallets...as I have

https://www.attainable-sustainable.net/diy-grazing-boxes/

Here's a photo of some I had. After several years the wood was starting to rot. Salvaged all the hardware cloth. I am rebuilding some now out of a huge rack hubby picked up at the landfill. Never know when and where you will find useful stuff.

They love sunflower seeds too. I cut them with long stems and poke them in the fence sometimes.

Grazing Frames and Sunflower Buffet.JPG

Here's a photo of some I had. After several years the wood was starting to rot. Salvaged all the hardware cloth. I am rebuilding some now out of a huge rack hubby picked up at the landfill. Never know when and where you will find useful stuff.

They love sunflower seeds too. I cut them with long stems and poke them in the fence sometimes.

View attachment 3452567
Lovely!!
I am hoping to find one more odd ball pallet to make another!!

Back
Top Bottom