• 20230530_151410.jpg
    20230530_151410.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230530_151410.jpg
    20230530_151410.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 3
Starting the shed....
Its hot out ...this is all we managed to get done lol

I often find the hardest step in any project is just the first step in starting! At least you are over that hurdle.

It looks like you are using some 4X4 posts for the framing. Is that right? Anxious to see where you go on this project. Please continue to upload progress photos. Thanks.

I didn't use any pallet parts, but I got my electric fence posts and wires in place. I'm going to try to get the fence charger hooked up tomorrow and make the fence LIVE!

No progress today on the pallet chicken fence project, but yesterday I sorted out, by length, 70 of the boards I cut out of the pallet that will be enough to protect one side of my garden area.

⚠️ Pallet Wood Chicken Run Grazing Frame Update

A few weeks ago, I started upgrading my grazing frame in the chicken run. Basically, I built a 4-inch-high frame out of salavaged beams I got in my pallet pickups. I put that under my existing frame to raise it up another 4 inches higher. The old grazing frame was not high enough to prevent the chickens from scratching everything on top of the grazing frame wire last summer, blocking out the sun, and nothing grew inside the grazing frame.

To bring everything up to date, here is the new riser frame I built out of salvaged composite 3X4 beams I got on a pallet pickup...

1685547430942.jpeg

After putting it together, I put it down on the dirt in the chicken run, then reseeded it with some new grass seed...

1685547476172.jpeg

Then I put the original grazing frame on the riser frame I just built....

1685547493770.jpeg

:clap Now, it's about 3 weeks later. I was out planting some peppers and eggplants in one of my pallet wood raised beds and noticed that I had some chickens eating grass over on the grazing frame! Success!

I had my phone with me, so I went over the chicken run to snap a few photos. Of course, by the time I got there, only one chicken was left on the grazing frame, but still, here is an updated photo for you...

1685547902016.jpeg

Notice how the grass inside the grazing frame is filling in nicely. Also, there is a little bit of debris scratched on top of the wire, but not very much. Last year, it was completely covered and totally blocked out the sun.

Here's a close up of one section of the grazing frame...

1685548057679.jpeg

The chickens will eat any grass that gets tall enough to poke up through the wire, but they cannot pull the grass out by the roots so the grass will continue to grow all summer long. It's a nice way to provide some fresh grass to the chickens without letting them totally dig up and kill everything. You can see that the chickens have "mowed" the grass down to the wire, just like it was meant to be. Of course, they dug up and killed everything else in the chicken run. But the grazing frame is a small patch of living grass.

I put grass seed in my grazing frame, but I suppose a person could put anything like, wheat, barley, or oats, etc... and grow that in the frame as well.

Just a quick pic of my early morning planting of peppers and eggplants in one of the pallet wood rasied beds I built last year. I use the square foot gardening method in my raised beds and these were all planted one plant per square foot.

1685548831578.jpeg

Of course, I had to top off the raised bed with 2-3 inches of topsoil/chicken run compost mixed 1:1. I use the hügelkultur method of filling the bottom with wood tree trunks, branches, wood chips, and maybe a layer of organic material before the topsoil mix. Every year I can expect to top off a few inches more as the soil settles and the wood decomposes underneath. Using chicken run compost revitalizes the soil for feeding the plants.

⚠️ Pallet Wood Chicken Run Grazing Frame Update

A few weeks ago, I started upgrading my grazing frame in the chicken run. Basically, I built a 4-inch-high frame out of salavaged beams I got in my pallet pickups. I put that under my existing frame to raise it up another 4 inches higher. The old grazing frame was not high enough to prevent the chickens from scratching everything on top of the grazing frame wire last summer, blocking out the sun, and nothing grew inside the grazing frame.

To bring everything up to date, here is the new riser frame I built out of salvaged composite 3X4 beams I got on a pallet pickup...

View attachment 3524225

After putting it together, I put it down on the dirt in the chicken run, then reseeded it with some new grass seed...

View attachment 3524229

Then I put the original grazing frame on the riser frame I just built....

View attachment 3524230

:clap Now, it's about 3 weeks later. I was out planting some peppers and eggplants in one of my pallet wood raised beds and noticed that I had some chickens eating grass over on the grazing frame! Success!

I had my phone with me, so I went over the chicken run to snap a few photos. Of course, by the time I got there, only one chicken was left on the grazing frame, but still, here is an updated photo for you...

View attachment 3524239

Notice how the grass inside the grazing frame is filling in nicely. Also, there is a little bit of debris scratched on top of the wire, but not very much. Last year, it was completely covered and totally blocked out the sun.

Here's a close up of one section of the grazing frame...

View attachment 3524241

The chickens will eat any grass that gets tall enough to poke up through the wire, but they cannot pull the grass out by the roots so the grass will continue to grow all summer long. It's a nice way to provide some fresh grass to the chickens without letting them totally dig up and kill everything. You can see that the chickens have "mowed" the grass down to the wire, just like it was meant to be. Of course, they dug up and killed everything else in the chicken run. But the grazing frame is a small patch of living grass.

I put grass seed in my grazing frame, but I suppose a person could put anything like, wheat, barley, or oats, etc... and grow that in the frame as well.
Looks fantastic...
Mine is still in the expeirmenting phase as i read thier poo can and will kill the grass anyway...just slower....so if it does ok this yr...ill be making another...

[Pallet Wood Grazing Frame] Looks fantastic...
Mine is still in the expeirmenting phase as i read thier poo can and will kill the grass anyway...just slower....so if it does ok this yr...ill be making another...

Well, chickens mostly poo at night, it seems. In any case, I have not seen any poo on the wire of my grazing frame. Chicken poo would be too chemically hot and probably kill any grass in the immediate area, but I don't think much gets dropped on the grazing frame. I'll have to watch to see if that is a concern. Right now, I am very happy to see grass growing under the grazing frame and that the chickens are jumping up there to pick off the blades of grass that grow above the wire.

Well, chickens mostly poo at night, it seems. In any case, I have not seen any poo on the wire of my grazing frame. Chicken poo would be too chemically hot and probably kill any grass in the immediate area, but I don't think much gets dropped on the grazing frame. I'll have to watch to see if that is a concern. Right now, I am very happy to see grass growing under the grazing frame and that the chickens are jumping up there to pick off the blades of grass that grow above the wire.
They definelty poo on mine...BUT grass is still growing and it seems to be doing the job pretty ok...

Back
Top Bottom