Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

I'm just attaching the pickets with two nails, so the panel can flex when I put it in to keep them plumb on a sloped surface. That's the theory, anyway. I can pound/drive more fasteners later when I'm satisfied it will work.

I have never put up a fence on a slope. Are you planning on making the fence top level, at a certain height, and increasing the length of the fence boards as you go down the slope?

I'm transition to longer pickets for the next section of fence. I ran out of the 24 inchers. Now I have 29 inchers to work with.

I guess I really don't understand where you are going. It looks like the bottom is flush but the top is increasing. I have never built a fence on a slope, but I would have thought the top would be flush and the bottom would contour to the slope. Or, maybe just have everything contour with the slope. I don't know.

Having said that, the pallet wood fence is looking pretty nice. Hope you continue to update us with your progress.

I finally started putting up a pallet fence. The posts and runners are just some weird, lightweight pallets. I'm just attaching the pickets with two nails, so the panel can flex when I put it in to keep them plumb on a sloped surface. That's the theory, anyway. I can pound/drive more fasteners later when I'm satisfied it will work.

I'm transition to longer pickets for the next section of fence. I ran out of the 24 inchers. Now I have 29 inchers to work with.

There will be a few strands of electric fence wire above the wood. I believe the chickens will see them and it will keep them from trying to fly over. Deer protection, too.

View attachment 3528858View attachment 3528859
Looking pretty darn good!!!

We are slowly adding to the Shed Pallèt (if you say it fancy it makes it fancy! 🤣🤣🤣

@gtaus we are using 4x4s on the corners and 2x4 (x2) inbetween each wall...bc .... we cant attach the pallets any other way...gotta have a 2x4 on each pallet side to connect and form the wall.

Attachments

• 20230603_161729.jpg
    20230603_161729.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
We are slowly adding to the Shed Pallèt (if you say it fancy it makes it fancy! 🤣🤣🤣

@gtaus we are using 4x4s on the corners and 2x4 (x2) inbetween each wall...bc .... we cant attach the pallets any other way...gotta have a 2x4 on each pallet side to connect and form the wall.

👍 Yeah, it looks like it is coming along just fine. I like the idea of using those 4X4's and 2X4's to tie things together. I would think that is going to be a stronger build for the shed. On my long list of things to do, is building a pallet wood shed, and that is why I'm so interested in the details of what you are doing.

FYI, I have a number of reclaimed 4X4 beams and long 2X4's that I have salvaged. They are looking for a good pallet project.

Another question comes to mind... why did you choose to put the pallets orientated the way you did with the slats vertical? I can see that stacking them on top of each other is easier that way, and you can just screw the pallets together on the pallet 2X4's. But how do you attach those vertical 4X4's and 2X4's to the ends of the pallets without any pallet wood 2X4's at the ends?

I don't know if you plan on filling in the gaps in the sidewalls, but a nice board on board method would be very easy the way you put up the pallets. If/when I build my pallet shed, I'll want to cover the sides completely to keep the snow out and the board on board method looks nice to me.

Keep posting those progress pictures. Loving it! :highfive:

I have never put up a fence on a slope. Are you planning on making the fence top level, at a certain height, and increasing the length of the fence boards as you go down the slope?

I guess I really don't understand where you are going. It looks like the bottom is flush but the top is increasing. I have never built a fence on a slope, but I would have thought the top would be flush and the bottom would contour to the slope. Or, maybe just have everything contour with the slope. I don't know.

Having said that, the pallet wood fence is looking pretty nice. Hope you continue to update us with your progress.
Yes, the fence is increasing in height. I just ran out of the shorter boards and had longer ones to work with, so I made a gentle curve upward to accomodate the longer boards. I'm just putting it together and trying to fit in all the boards of different lengths. Heck, maybe I'll make the top show a little up and down wave like action. It's a work in progress, and I don't know what it'll look like until it's done. Kind of fun working with free pallets!

It's a work in progress, and I don't know what it'll look like until it's done. Kind of fun working with free pallets!

:lau Yep, I'm not a very creative person. I always think of flush and level in my builds, but I suppose I'm missing out on a lot of fun. Like this pallet wood fence I found on Goggle pictures...

1685932804321.png

I agree that building projects with pallet wood is great because if I don't like it, I can tear it all down and start over, or just get rid of it, and not feel like I wasted a couple hundreds of dollars on wood. There's a certain freedom to try things out with free pallet wood that you might not want to do if you paid lots of money for lumber at the store.

I'm coping a post I made on the gardening thread here because I realized that it shows three different raised bed designs that I made out of reclaimed/pallet wood. Might give someone an idea of what they could build...

A few months ago, when my garden was still under 2 feet of snow, I asked the forum for help in setting up my very first attempt at starting seeds in the house for transplant later. I got lots of good advice from the members here. It's been raining all day today, but I had a few moments to snap a few pics of my progress....

1686003555523.jpeg

Those are my cherry tomato plants that are over 2 feet tall! Compare that to last year when I bought my 6 packs of tomatoes and those plants, at this time last year, were maybe 4-6 inches tall.

More tomato plants...

1686003782193.jpeg

Finally, some eggplants and peppers I started in the house...

1686003843893.jpeg

Those pepper plants are 6-8 inches tall and the eggplants are just over 12 inches tall.

I don't know how the rest of the growing season will turn out, but I figure I'm about 2 months ahead of last year's growth!

Well, just a big thank you to those who took the time to offer their suggestions and encouraged me to try to start my seedlings myself this year. I'm really happy with progress so far. :love :highfive:

⚠️ Pallet Wood Compost Bin In The Chicken Run - As Chicken Furniture...

Just wanted to post a few pictures of the pallet wood compost bin I put into the chicken run a number of years ago. I eventually converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system, but I kept the pallet wood compost bin in there because the chickens use it as furniture. So, it has outlived its original purpose but lives on as furniture and shelter.

1686004458075.jpeg

1686004507208.jpeg

1686004533645.jpeg

As to the build, I used 4 pallets. 3 pallets form the back and both sides. The 4th pallet was cut in half. Half of the pallet was put in the front of the compost bin and the other half was just placed on top. It's a super simple build that only took minutes to put together.

Originally, the idea was to put my compost stuff in the bin and the chickens could jump in there and scratch and peck around for food to eat. That worked great. But I converted my entire chiken run into a chicken run composting system and the need for a compost bin was no longer needed.

However, my chickens love to sit on top of the compost bin on that halt pallet top, and when the sun gets hot, they like to sit inside the compost bin under the shade of the top. Chickens will be chickens and occasionally I will see all 10 of my chickens up on the top just sunning themselves on a cool day. Other times they are underneath in the shade cooling off on a hot day.

For those who are considering getting into chicken composting, this type of pallet wood compost bin is an easy way to start off. It worked fine for composting, but I eventually decided to convert the entire run to make compost.

The "ground" that you see in these pictures is actually grass clippings I put in there a few days ago. You can see that they are all dried out and brown now. That compost litter is about 14 inches deep currently. If I scrape away the top 3-4 inches, I hit black gold compost ready to harvest whenever I want. It's a very nice composting system and I encourage anyone to try it if you have gardens and grow plants.

My chicken run composting system never smells. The top layers of the litter are usually dry but underneath you get that wrung out sponge consistency. After a heavy rain, the chicken run smells like fresh forest floor. Very earthy and nice.

Just a quick post on one of my girls in a previous picture...

1686005908557.jpeg

This is my Silver Laced Wyandotte. As a teenager, she was the standout beauty of the flock. After her second molt, her feathers never really came back right. I don't know if this is normal, or not. She is just over 3 years old now. But when I see her, I still remember her as a beautiful teenager and the prettiest girl in the flock. :love

Not much related to pallet projects, but oh well. She deserved a shout out. She is out there making compost for me and still manages to lay some eggs even at her age.

Back
Top Bottom