Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Great ideas, here is a small growing/seeding bench I made for the Mrs. 3 slat sections, extra 2x4 pieces for support and some landscape Timbers we had laying around. Oogie the outside cat approves.

Attachments

• 2AE9F905-77E9-4729-AD4F-0C173A18C3C1.jpeg
    2AE9F905-77E9-4729-AD4F-0C173A18C3C1.jpeg
    926.8 KB · Views: 8
Great ideas, here is a small growing/seeding bench I made for the Mrs. 3 slat sections, extra 2x4 pieces for support and some landscape Timbers we had laying around. Oogie the outside cat approves.

:thumbsup And I approve, too. Very nicely done. Love the landscape timbers look.

:tongue I made a nice potting bench for myself, but have not found a good place to put it yet. So, it sits next to the garage with a pile of lumber on it. My bad. Hope to find a permanent location for the potting bench this summer so it can be used as intended.

After her second molt, her feathers never really came back right. I don't know if this is normal, or not. She is just over 3 years old now.

Three years is not really that old. I have several that are 7-10 yrs old.

Since she feathered out rough like this has she molted again? What ever caused this may not correct until after her next full molt. She could feather back nice again.

You didn't happen to worm her with Safe Guard prior to this happening? I have read not to use it prior to molt as it could cause the bird to grow in damaged feathers. I've not seen it myself though.

Just thought I'd mention it. Love seeing your birds!

Since she feathered out rough like this has she molted again? What ever caused this may not correct until after her next full molt. She could feather back nice again.

That would be nice for her. I did not know if she would survive our winter with half her feathers gone, but she made it OK.

You didn't happen to worm her with Safe Guard prior to this happening? I have read not to use it prior to molt as it could cause the bird to grow in damaged feathers. I've not seen it myself though.

I have not given any medication to my flock.

Love seeing your birds!

Well, that post might not have too much to do with pallet projects, but it all started with getting my backyard flock and finding things that work for them. I like sharing pictures of the girls even when they are having a bad hair day. Still love them.

⚠️ Pallet Wood Compost Bin In The Chicken Run - As Chicken Furniture...

Just wanted to post a few pictures of the pallet wood compost bin I put into the chicken run a number of years ago. I eventually converted my entire chicken run into a chicken run composting system, but I kept the pallet wood compost bin in there because the chickens use it as furniture. So, it has outlived its original purpose but lives on as furniture and shelter.

View attachment 3530382

View attachment 3530383

View attachment 3530385

As to the build, I used 4 pallets. 3 pallets form the back and both sides. The 4th pallet was cut in half. Half of the pallet was put in the front of the compost bin and the other half was just placed on top. It's a super simple build that only took minutes to put together.

Originally, the idea was to put my compost stuff in the bin and the chickens could jump in there and scratch and peck around for food to eat. That worked great. But I converted my entire chiken run into a chicken run composting system and the need for a compost bin was no longer needed.

However, my chickens love to sit on top of the compost bin on that halt pallet top, and when the sun gets hot, they like to sit inside the compost bin under the shade of the top. Chickens will be chickens and occasionally I will see all 10 of my chickens up on the top just sunning themselves on a cool day. Other times they are underneath in the shade cooling off on a hot day.

For those who are considering getting into chicken composting, this type of pallet wood compost bin is an easy way to start off. It worked fine for composting, but I eventually decided to convert the entire run to make compost.

The "ground" that you see in these pictures is actually grass clippings I put in there a few days ago. You can see that they are all dried out and brown now. That compost litter is about 14 inches deep currently. If I scrape away the top 3-4 inches, I hit black gold compost ready to harvest whenever I want. It's a very nice composting system and I encourage anyone to try it if you have gardens and grow plants.

My chicken run composting system never smells. The top layers of the litter are usually dry but underneath you get that wrung out sponge consistency. After a heavy rain, the chicken run smells like fresh forest floor. Very earthy and nice.
I turned my run floor into a compost. Never considered building the actual compost bin in there...(made from palletd but sits in the yard!)

Steady making progress on the shed. This is the biggest build ive done. Its 20x20 after adding in the 4x4s and 2x4s.

I need to go back and get 2x4s but i have only 144 dollars in this so far!!

Pretty happy with how its turning out!

Attachments

• 20230606_113525(0).jpg
    20230606_113525(0).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Another question comes to mind... why did you choose to put the pallets orientated the way you did with the slats vertical? I can see that stacking them on top of each other is easier that way, and you can just screw the pallets together on the pallet 2X4's. But how do you attach those vertical 4X4's and 2X4's to the ends of the pallets without any pallet wood 2X4's at the ends?
I chose the way they are laying bc i like the verticle look of the wood...but also...in my mind easier to screw together using the already provided 2x4. I thought the 2x4s would work better vertically as well. No cutting.

I don't know if you plan on filling in the gaps in the sidewalls, but a nice board on board method would be very easy the way you put up the pallets. If/when I build my pallet shed, I'll want to cover the sides completely to keep the snow out and the board on board method looks nice to me.

We are thinking of siding...someone offered me enough for free...just to get it off their property. Left ovee from residing their house. I havent heard my more abt it...but i do believe he will come through. If not board on board with bought wood...for a cleaner look. Though i do get a lot of comments on my chicken chalet! And i simply used broken pallet boards from work lol

Attachments

• 20230114_123316.jpg
    20230114_123316.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I turned my run floor into a compost. Never considered building the actual compost bin in there...(made from palletd but sits in the yard!)

Steady making progress on the shed. This is the biggest build ive done. Its 20x20 after adding in the 4x4s and 2x4s.

I need to go back and get 2x4s but i have only 144 dollars in this so far!!

Pretty happy with how its turning out!

Yeah, it's looking real good. How many helpers do you have on this project? Is the whole family involved? Love to hear about young ones learning how to make things.

We are thinking of siding...someone offered me enough for free...just to get it off their property. Left ovee from residing their house. I havent heard my more abt it...but i do believe he will come through. If not board on board with bought wood...for a cleaner look. Though i do get a lot of comments on my chicken chalet! And i simply used broken pallet boards from work lol

That's sounds great. I'm all for saving as much money as possible, but I certainly understand wanting to make something look better - especially if it's close to the house, for example.

Last year I watched a YouTube video on some guy making shaker shingles out of his pallet wood and using that as siding. It looked great, but I bet it was a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom