Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Yeah, it's looking real good. How many helpers do you have on this project? Is the whole family involved? Love to hear about young ones learning how to make things.
The minors havent really shown interest in helping this time. A lot of it is just me...hubby will help if i cant get something. Or he'll hold the wall so i can screw...he does NOT do well on the heat with labor intensive stuff.

And thank you for the compliment.

That's sounds great. I'm all for saving as much money as possible, but I certainly understand wanting to make something look better - especially if it's close to the house, for example.

Last year I watched a YouTube video on some guy making shaker shingles out of his pallet wood and using that as siding. It looked great, but I bet it was a lot of work.

I remember your shaker shingle post....but...whew buddy...so so so much work lol.

Also... @gtaus i use 4inch wood screws to attach the 4x4s into the running 2x4s in the pallet if that makes sense.

Yes, I think I understand. Just wondering if a 4 inch screw is big enough to go through a 4X4 into the running 2X4 in the pallet wood end grain and be strong enough to hold? Will you be adding additional bracing inside to hold everything together? Depending on your final type of siding, that should provide some additional strength. But I typically don't trust screwing into the end grain of a 2X4 as a strong connection. I have seen too many screws work themselves loose on the end grain.

For example, in my newly designed pallet wood raised beds, I screwed long nails into the but end of the 2X4's to make the top and bottom frames. But I know that a butt connection is a weaker connection than I would like. So, I used 2X4's in the inside corners to provide the real strength for the build. Those screws go into the wood cross grain and should hold fast for many years.

Although I have built a number of things in my lifetime, I was never a trained carpenter or construction worker. So, I ask a lot of questions and try to learn things as much as possible. Don't take my questions to you in any negative way. I'm just thinking through the process as you post your updates and wonder what I will do.

:clap Love your updates. Keep them coming.

Yes, I think I understand. Just wondering if a 4 inch screw is big enough to go through a 4X4 into the running 2X4 in the pallet wood end grain and be strong enough to hold? Will you be adding additional bracing inside to hold everything together? Depending on your final type of siding, that should provide some additional strength. But I typically don't trust screwing into the end grain of a 2X4 as a strong connection. I have seen too many screws work themselves loose on the end grain.

For example, in my newly designed pallet wood raised beds, I screwed long nails into the but end of the 2X4's to make the top and bottom frames. But I know that a butt connection is a weaker connection than I would like. So, I used 2X4's in the inside corners to provide the real strength for the build. Those screws go into the wood cross grain and should hold fast for many years.

Although I have built a number of things in my lifetime, I was never a trained carpenter or construction worker. So, I ask a lot of questions and try to learn things as much as possible. Don't take my questions to you in any negative way. I'm just thinking through the process as you post your updates and wonder what I will do.

:clap Love your updates. Keep them coming.

I built the chicken chalet in the same manor, however i didnt use the 4x4s to make distinct corners. The 4inch screw screw in a bit "far" but they seem to be doing the job. Bracing is a for sure thing and we will tie it all together along the top with rafters and perlins ...@ least thats the plan lol

I dont take you questioning at all. I have no idea what i am doing. I see a vision in my head and do my best to build it the best i can. My husband helps when he can and he comes up with things i havent thought abt bc i have no expierence.

Your questions do the same....

I saw your blow out post.... i am hoping this will be ok...but i will be sure to add extra bracing around the corners.

Eta...i am sorry i thought you were referring to your blow out bed...i went back and reread and that makes sense...what youre saying.

The minors havent really shown interest in helping this time.

That's too bad. They seemed to be all in for the projects for your animals.

:lau Since your 20X20 shed is going to be so big, maybe you could tell them it is secretly going to called the Elephant Emporium? That might spark renewed interest!

A lot of it is just me...hubby will help if i cant get something. Or he'll hold the wall so i can screw...he does NOT do well on the heat with labor intensive stuff.

Yeah, it's been really hot here for me, too. I don't do so well in the heat either. And I work alone so some things just don't get done fast, if at all....

I remember your shaker shingle post....but...whew buddy...so so so much work lol.

Yep, it was a great looking project that guy built, but I can only imagine how long it would take to complete. When I design a pallet project, I'm looking more at how fast can I put it together, or how can I make it better next time with less effort.

That's too bad. They seemed to be all in for the projects for your animals.

:lau Since your 20X20 shed is going to be so big, maybe you could tell them it is secretly going to called the Elephant Emporium? That might spark renewed interest!
🤣🤣🤣
Imma try that!!!!

My oldest has been working on her duck dome 🤣🤣🤣
So thats where her attention is. (I build a little type domed playhouse type thing...from pallets.
.thats now her Duck Dome)

Yeah, it's been really hot here for me, too. I don't do so well in the heat either. And I work alone so some things just don't get done fast, if at all.

I am actually moving slower too. Its so hot. Hubby starts to cramp really really bad....and it concerns me..ya know since the heart is also a muscle and he cramps everywhere from fingers to toes.

Me i get dizzy amd nauseous.

The list is moving slow this summer for sure....

When I design a pallet project, I'm looking more at how fast can I put it together, or how can I make it better next time with less effort.
Exactly this! I wanna cut time and make it better

I saw your blow out post.... i am hoping this will be ok...but i will be sure to add extra bracing around the corners.

Eta...i am sorry i thought you were referring to your blow out bed...i went back and reread and that makes sense...what youre saying.

The blowouts in the old raised bed were where I just screwed into the end grain of the wood. That's not a very strong connection. My newer raised bed designs have additional support. So, I'm glad to hear that you will be adding additional bracing for strength on your shed.

Yall....do you see it...

Spent 45min putting this wall up 🤬🤬

Imma fill in the gap with wood to make it level....
We are working with the ground we have and I am doing my best...

But sometimes......

The plan is to cut the excess 2x4s and 4x4s off...so those don't matter...imma use a 2x4 or a piece of 4x4 and level it up

Attachments

• 20230607_071741.jpg
    20230607_071741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Yall....do you see it...

Spent 45min putting this wall up 🤬🤬

Imma fill in the gap with wood to make it level....
We are working with the ground we have and I am doing my best...

But sometimes......

The plan is to cut the excess 2x4s and 4x4s off...so those don't matter...imma use a 2x4 or a piece of 4x4 and level it up

:caf Yeah, coming along fine. I have never built a shed on soil. My first step was always to level a form, pour concrete and build up from a level surface. I can see that your ground is not level, as to be expected. Good idea just to fill in the difference with some spare wood. Just want to mention that it might be to your advantage to make certain that the wall is going up plumb, even if the ground is not level. That will save you time and effort later on when you put on the siding.

:thumbsup In any case, you are certainly moving along on the project and I am loving the updates.

Still chugging..

I gotta get out at like 6am bc its been so hot here....4 more walls.....and it'll be a rootless shed!!

:lau A "rootless" shed! Hoping that it decides to grow some roots and stay with you for many years!

More seriously, I am anxious to see what you do for a roof. Where I live, we have to build our structures to withstand significant snow loads. That is where, in the past, I have spent a lot of money on my builds.

:idunno Are you thinking of buying prebuilt rafters or making your own? That 20X20 shed is pretty darn big and I just wonder how you are going to put up a roof.

Back
Top Bottom