Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

We are talking abt trusses now. I am not sure how we'd do the roof just yet.
That requires some research!

Shout out to hubby who was able to help me knock out the last 3 walls!!!

It only goes up so fast bc I hyper focus on stuff like this. I also obsess....in my head....abt plans and how to until the project is started. I have been planning this shed for a yr...(some plans have changed lol)
And its like a release for me to get it up...and outta my head....

Now the focus is the roof...and I am constantly thinking abt how to put it on there 😂😂😂 (the plan for this changed)

So far my total in this shed is $219

:idunno Sometimes I think things to death, and nothing might get started in the process. I kind of envy your ability to jump in there and get to building that shed. I'm sure you will find a solution to the roof - because - you have to! Just amazing what you have built so far with only $219! Keep those updates coming.

In case anyone is curious...we are pretty darn square. The exact measurements are
L17'8"xW17'5" which is to be expected as I left 2 2x4s out on the front and back side.

The front is measuring a W of 17'7" currently back is at 17'5" we are off by 2" but that is easily fixed with some able bodies.

The original plan was 16x16...we added 1.5ft by adding in the 2x4s and 4x4s

:clap Yep, that's really good for a pallet wood shed. Easy to fix like you mentioned. I have only built things that big with all new standard lumber and getting things square is a must. I don't know if I would be able to get as close as your build if I used pallets. Great job.

It wasn't much of a pallet project, but I used some of the pieces left over after I cut the boards I wanted off of those huge pallets. I stacked four sections up to make a quick and easy roost in the coop, where I'm introducing my new roosters to the girls. I layed a 6 inch wide flat board on top of the stack so the roosters would have a nice flat space for their feet.

View attachment 3534456

No need to apologize for simple pallet projects or using wood scraps to make something. A long time ago, I posted a picture of a block of pallet wood I drilled some holes into and made it into a drill bit holder for my shelf with all my power drills. I use that little block of pallet wood with drill bits in it all the time. Again, not much of a pallet project but very, very useful.

Also, just today, I needed some larger base supports for one of my elevated planters. The 2X4 legs of that planter had sunk into the dirt and the planter was way off level. So, I had to jack the planter up and put some pallet wood base pads scrap wood underneath the legs. The planter is level now. Was that a pallet project? Well, I used wood I saved from a pallet breakdown, like you, and used them for this project.

Yall!!! I have found 20ft long pieces of metal!!!
I've got to special order them into menards...but they have them.

I think this roof is gonna be the most expensive part 😳

Looking like a 500-600 dollar roof.

I need 17 20ft long 2x4s
And 6 pieces of 20ft long metal

Not sure when that's gonna happen 😕
Hubby was let go after 33yrs at our job.

Let him go...I stay...

He was salary ...and they walked 9 salary paid people out.

:tongue Sorry to hear about your hubby being let go. That can be tough.

Before you special order those 20-foot long 2X4's, you might want to look at how some people are building beams out of shorter lumber. I remember watching a YouTube video on some guy who showed how to make long beams for roof support. If I can find that video again, I'll post a link. In any case, if you spend some searching time on YouTube, you might find less expensive alternatives to special ordering 20-foot long 2X4's - which I expect would be rather expensive. Heck, if you are a little short of cash at the moment, it's well worth spending some time on YouTube looking for alternatives.

:caf Where I live, the roof is always the most expensive part of the build. In fact, when I have built things like this, I almost always consider the roof first and then plan the build underneath. But we have to plan for a heavy snow load and the roof is key to safety. No one wants the roof to fall down on them, or their belongings.

⚠️ Quick Update on Pallet Planters

Just posting a few pictures of the pallet planters I made for Dear Wife last fall. She has flowers planted in them now, so I guess they officially have passed her approval.

1686369309917.jpeg

1686369414936.png

1686369384150.jpeg

FWIW, Dear Wife wanted some new planters after our old half whiskey barrel planters were falling apart and we had to rebuild them. Started off with 6 old whiskey planters falling apart and managed to rebuild 3 whiskey barrels planters. These 3 pallet planters were to replace the lost 3 barrels.

Current cost of those half barrel whiskey planters is $65.00 at Home Depot. Curent cost of my pallet wood planters, about 65 cents each!

:clap Yes. Feel free to post any of your pallet projects and pics you want to share.

I am currently building some pallet planters for Dear Wife and will post pics of them in a few days. Finished 2 planters today and am waiting for Dear Wife to approve the designs, or not.

:lau :hit As you can imagine, first planter was too big, second planter was too small, so maybe I'll get it right on the third attempt.
Sorry, trying to figure how to correctly post...
Double gate in back is cheapy from WalMart, single gate in front even cheaper pallet gate. Half a day pulling apart and putting back together as a gate and digging post holes...

Attachments

• 20230609_231038.jpg
    20230609_231038.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 8
Sorry, trying to figure how to correctly post...
Double gate in back is cheapy from WalMart, single gate in front even cheaper pallet gate. Half a day pulling apart and putting back together as a gate and digging post holes...

:welcome Welcome to the BYC forums.

:thumbsup Glad you posted here and shared your pallet wood gate build. Looks great to me. Using pallet wood can save lots of money, but not necessarily time. I can break down a pallet in about 10 minutes and have wood ready to use, and I enjoy making stuff, so the extra time I spend on using free pallet wood is worth it to me.

Hope to hear more from you here and in other threads on the BYC forums. Again, welcome to the forums.

:idunno Sometimes I think things to death, and nothing might get started in the process. I kind of envy your ability to jump in there and get to building that shed. I'm sure you will find a solution to the roof - because - you have to! Just amazing what you have built so far with only $219! Keep those updates coming.
I am definetly an overthinker...but where I struggle is when things don't "line up" according to my mental plan....then it's a mad mental dash to try to figure it out...and its all I talk abt and think abt 😆
Drives hubby mad sometimes 😆

:clap Yep, that's really good for a pallet wood shed. Easy to fix like you mentioned. I have only built things that big with all new standard lumber and getting things square is a must. I don't know if I would be able to get as close as your build if I used pallets. Great job.
Thanks! I was super pleased to say the least! I tried really really hard and it was kinda difficult bc of the ground. Adding in the 4x4s in the corners was a major major help in keeping it square I think.
:tongue Sorry to hear about your hubby being let go. That can be tough.

Before you special order those 20-foot long 2X4's, you might want to look at how some people are building beams out of shorter lumber. I remember watching a YouTube video on some guy who showed how to make long beams for roof support. If I can find that video again, I'll post a link. In any case, if you spend some searching time on YouTube, you might find less expensive alternatives to special ordering 20-foot long 2X4's - which I expect would be rather expensive. Heck, if you are a little short of cash at the moment, it's well worth spending some time on YouTube looking for alternatives.

:caf Where I live, the roof is always the most expensive part of the build. In fact, when I have built things like this, I almost always consider the roof first and then plan the build underneath. But we have to plan for a heavy snow load and the roof is key to safety. No one wants the roof to fall down on them, or their belongings.

Please do post the video. Hubby and I would have to have someone come help us haul those boards back home bc we don't have a long enough trailer. I mentioned something abt over lapping in the middle with a brace and some screws...wasn't sure if it'd work out though...

Perfect, reused metal on a pallet shed!

Oh boy, you have no idea how excited I was. It's in decent shape...I thought abt painting it prior to install...like spray paint...any thoughts 🤔

Please do post the video. Hubby and I would have to have someone come help us haul those boards back home bc we don't have a long enough trailer. I mentioned something abt over lapping in the middle with a brace and some screws...wasn't sure if it'd work out though...

Here is a link to the video I was thinking about...

LIke most things, I suppose a person should compare the costs of buying a special order beam or making your own.

When I built a garage, I had to order pre-built rafters and the lumber yard delivered them to the site. No way did I have a trailer big enough to haul rafters. Also, like I have mentioned many times, we have to be concerned about heavy winter snow loads and the pre-built rafters had everything made to code. I don't imagine you would have to meet the same standards on a smaller pallet wood shed build in an area without snow load concerns. But you still want to make sure the roof will hold up under its own weight.

Back
Top Bottom