Show me your poop traps!

See, i thought about filling the coop floor with sand. Figured that would be way easier cleanup than the typical hay/straw. My coop floor is also dirt. I dont want to put to much into my current coop as i will be building a new one, but figured sand would be much easier clean up for now. My roosts are corner roosts, so i figured building some kind of poop catcher would be a little more challenging. I just know im sick of changing hay and shoveling compacted crap and wet hay. I did the deep litter method throughout winter, and that was hell to clean out!
I use sand in my run & coop & love it. It takes 5 min to go around with a pooper scooper 1-2x a day and everything stays clean and odor-free. I mix PDZ in with the sand in the coop. The droppings fall in a straight line under the roost, so I just rake both ends to the middle and scoop (2 min job in the morning).

I use sand in my run & coop & love it. It takes 5 min to go around with a pooper scooper 1-2x a day and everything stays clean and odor-free. I mix PDZ in with the sand in the coop. The droppings fall in a straight line under the roost, so I just rake both ends to the middle and scoop (2 min job in the morning).
Whats PDZ? Im really considering sand if i dont do an elevated poop catcher. They don't poop anywhere but under the roost anyways.

It's coop refresher that neutralizes ammonia. I use the PDZ labeled "stall refresher" for goats & horses because it's half the price ($9.99 a bag at TSC). Coop refresher is the exact same stuff, just repackaged & sold at a much higher price.
shopping

MannaPro Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher Granules​

255 reviews

Description​

Removes ammonia from the air by absorption. The ammonia in urine is trapped within the molecules of sweet pdz for fresh air. Unscented so it does not mask odors. Dries as it deodorizes. Moisture is absorbed by sweet pdz and remains effective even when capacity is reached. Sweet pdz can be recycled after use by applying the bedding that contains the pdz to gardens, pastures and compost. Serves as a slow release nitrogen/potassium fertilizer. Color: White.

It's coop refresher that neutralizes ammonia. I use the PDZ labeled "stall refresher" for goats & horses because it's half the price ($9.99 a bag at TSC). Coop refresher is the exact same stuff, just repackaged & sold at a much higher price.
shopping

MannaPro Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher Granules​

255 reviews

Description​

Removes ammonia from the air by absorption. The ammonia in urine is trapped within the molecules of sweet pdz for fresh air. Unscented so it does not mask odors. Dries as it deodorizes. Moisture is absorbed by sweet pdz and remains effective even when capacity is reached. Sweet pdz can be recycled after use by applying the bedding that contains the pdz to gardens, pastures and compost. Serves as a slow release nitrogen/potassium fertilizer. Color: White.
Ah, ok. Thx!

I'm getting sick of cleaning poop the hard way! I'm ready to upgrade and simplify! I haven't seen to many poop catchers aside from a hanging tarp, so what are my options? What do you use!?
I use shoe mats! Easy to scoop off if you do often, otherwise if I skip a while I just load them in a wheel barrow or something similar, cart it to the field and dump them. Then I just spray them down with the hose and good as new! Since this picture I have added 2 more so the whole area is covered. Good luck!

Attachments

• CA711B31-68C0-4BCF-843E-00BA53151FBA.jpeg
    CA711B31-68C0-4BCF-843E-00BA53151FBA.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 27
I built my dropping boards at an angle just under the roosting bars . It’s a light weight wood panel with linoleum on it and topped with shavings. I use a cat box scooper every morning and scoop the poo into a 5 gal bucket and throw it in the compost bins. It takes 5 minutes. They don’t do much pooping in the coop during the day because they only go in to lay. It’s a little more work in the rain and snow when they stay inside all day but in so Cal it’s pretty infrequent. It’s worked out great. We have 11 girls .
C8BCDA06-EBF7-440C-854C-262C6A0BD60C.jpeg

Whats PDZ? Im really considering sand if i dont do an elevated poop catcher. They don't poop anywhere but under the roost anyways.
I had a problem with stick tight fleas one year with another flock when using sand so I don’t use it any more. Pine shavings work great on dropping boards, coop floor and in nesting boxes for us.

I had a problem with stick tight fleas one year with another flock when using sand so I don’t use it any more. Pine shavings work great on dropping boards, coop floor and in nesting boxes for us.
I thought about fleas with sand.. I may try pine shavings, as it would be easier for clean up than hay anyways, even withouth a dropping board.

I'm getting sick of cleaning poop the hard way! I'm ready to upgrade and simplify! I haven't seen to many poop catchers aside from a hanging tarp, so what are my options? What do you use!?
You could put a tarp hung underneath them & just take it out & dump where you want it. I’ve used this & it was easy.

You could put a tarp hung underneath them & just take it out & dump where you want it. I’ve used this & it was easy.
Well, you see, i took a small tarp out there to do just that but my roosts are in the corner as opposed to parallel with the side. It was quite difficult trying to figure out how to hang it where it worked with my OCD. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom