Show me your quail brooder....?

Jessika

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Eagle Creek, OR
Mine was a flop and all but 1 of my BW broke their necks...some got so wet from the water container too. All I can find on line is big hatchery pics....nothing I could obtain and upkeep in my dinning room. Any ideas? Pictures? What works....and what doesn't?

I use rubbermaid containers covered with paper towels for the first week and then move them outside to a rabbit hutch like thing.

Sorry for you loss, and Best of Luck
smile.png

I use an aquarium lined with rubber shelf liner for the first few weeks. Quail waterer with marbles in it to keep them from drowning. 40w lightbulb down low, and raise it up a little each week (mostly I just watch whether they're huddling or not). Then I move them to a slightly larger wire cage, with 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom. I usually put a papertowel down at one end for them to get off the wire for a little bit, under the lamp. After they're old enough to not need a lamp anymore, I put a small cage inside the larger pen and let them get to know the older adults. After a week or so, I let them out, and they mingle like family.
smile.png

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and so much! The one that made it is and was 2x bigger than the others so I wonder if he is big or the others were just small and frail. He/she is still doing well...eating and drinking. It was my first incubating ever and there were only 5 of them....maybe they were immature? I dunno still...it took me 24 hour to figure out it was there necks. They couldn't stand up and their little heads were flipped at a funny angle. I had never hatched anything before...I have had/ordered day olds before....plus we found baby chicks when someone had a stashed a nest before..but that was it. I just thought maybe there was something I was missing.....and I am trying to narrow it down.

I need a quail water device...I am using a milk jug cap right now...before that I used a larger lid with marbles...but they seemed too small to get into the lid...and when they did they ended up falling and getting wet. Where do you order such a thing?

Last edited:
Quote:
You should be able to get one from your local feed store. If they don't carry them, they should be able to order one for you, Or TSC should be able to do the same, if they don't carry them. I have some small gladware bowls, that have a small lip on them, I think I will try to make one, by poking small holes in the sides of the bowl, below the lip, and putting the lid on it with water in it. It should work I hope!!

I think the one that Cason listed fits a regular pint mason jar...
here's some other possibilities...
http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-b...t=48f54411&vwentropy=1223933297&query=waterer
The soda pop bottle waterers work great for all quail, and they can't get in it.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/quail_waterers.html
I use the one with the red base...

http://www.maconfeedandseed.com/product_info.php/cPath/255_262_264/products_id/576

When in doubt, I will even add a single row of marbles in the quail base, too.
smile.png

Just about all varieties of quail have their "popcorn" phase... some grow out of it, others don't. Buttons are notorious for viciously bonking their heads over and over again when frightened... you'd think they'd figure it out when they came to, but
roll.png
I'm so sorry for your loss... :awww

Back
Top Bottom