Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics

Here are one of mine (winterliving) It is kennel fences with small net outside and as roof so they don't fly out, also i have plastic roof at the sides. It is about twice as big behind me aswell and they live next door to my rabbits
wee.gif

Last edited:
Here are one of mine (winterliving) It is kennel fences with small net outside and as roof so they don't fly out, also i have plastic roof at the sides. It is about twice as big behind me aswell and they live next door to my rabbits.

I was reading about one BYCer recently who had a bear raid his quail pens and destroy everything. At the same time I swapped for a book on Cordword contruction for houses and an idea formed. This is the rough drawing of a handsome but more robust quail house that might stand up to a larger predator. I don't have the roof drawn on this picture so you can see the inside subdivisions. I am working on a digital version that will be more precise than this rough picture. The idea is to make it sturdy enough that It wont be torn a part but also the internal structure designed to give the birds the best chance of surviving even if a bear or cougar gets a paw in the door. Yet is still must be able to be cleaned easy. So I am still working on this but I wanted to hear some input from others who are already raising quail.

I won't have quail until spring and I don't have the large predator problems either. My Sheltie/Lab mix girl guards my land from coons, possums, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits. She has even tackled snakes. I harvest every one of my black walnuts because the squirrels know it is Death to enter my land.

I was reading about one BYCer recently who had a bear raid his quail pens and destroy everything. At the same time I swapped for a book on Cordword contruction for houses and an idea formed. This is the rough drawing of a handsome but more robust quail house that might stand up to a larger predator. I don't have the roof drawn on this picture so you can see the inside subdivisions. I am working on a digital version that will be more precise than this rough picture. The idea is to make it sturdy enough that It wont be torn a part but also the internal structure designed to give the birds the best chance of surviving even if a bear or cougar gets a paw in the door. Yet is still must be able to be cleaned easy. So I am still working on this but I wanted to hear some input from others who are already raising quail.

I won't have quail until spring and I don't have the large predator problems either. My Sheltie/Lab mix girl guards my land from coons, possums, squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits. She has even tackled snakes. I harvest every one of my black walnuts because the squirrels know it is Death to enter my land.

Back
Top Bottom