Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
Im keeping my ducks in here until I get my quail, which should be around thursday or friday, but thought i'd post my picutre now since the quail im getting will be eggs so they wont be in there for quite awhile. cool pens guys!
LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to get ideas for an addition to my chicken coop for a few quail pigeons and maybe doves and this is perfect!!!!! Love what you did with it!!!!! Nothing like attention to detail and you got it!

I was shocked at how hard it was to build something that was stable and looked half decent. I'm pretty handy but people definitely make it look easier than it is!

I will say my 2nd design (made in part by Ikea shelves) was way easier and looks as good, but then you have the down side of using half of a set of $40 shelves so the price goes up. Always a trade off!

My husband just finished building this quail condo for our coturnix & Texas A&M's. It's 4'x2'x14" with 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth for the floors & windows. We went to an auto parts store to get the 4'x2' oil drip pans. We have nipple waterer & a 3-lb capacity poultry hanging feeder in each compartment. After using it for a couple of days, we transferred the birds in a 3,x2'x18" rabbit cage tower because we need to cut out additional windows in the condo to let in more light.

My little guys set up.

An inside view:

I want to make an outdoor run for him just to pay in, not to live in. Not sure how to go about that.
I've read a lot of people prefer to keep their quail on wire. I know it keeps predators out, but that's not really an issue as he would be coming in long before dark and our yard is fenced in. I know it is also for sanitation reasons. If he doesn't live in the run full time do you think it would be ok to just have it right on the ground? It would probably be something cheap and low-tech like this guinea pig run my husband made:
Shoot! I was going to post a picture of my guinea pig's run, but it looks like they didn't save to the camera. :(

My little guys set up.

An inside view:

I want to make an outdoor run for him just to pay in, not to live in. Not sure how to go about that.
I've read a lot of people prefer to keep their quail on wire. I know it keeps predators out, but that's not really an issue as he would be coming in long before dark and our yard is fenced in. I know it is also for sanitation reasons. If he doesn't live in the run full time do you think it would be ok to just have it right on the ground? It would probably be something cheap and low-tech like this guinea pig run my husband made:
Shoot! I was going to post a picture of my guinea pig's run, but it looks like they didn't save to the camera. :(

There have been some members who have made quail versions of chicken tractors that can be moved around the yard in the day and they can be put up at night.

There have been some members who have made quail versions of chicken tractors that can be moved around the yard in the day and they can be put up at night.

Ok, cool. I will look for those posts.

Here's the photos finally of my guinea pig run:

It's super low-tech. I'd use wire with smaller gaps to prevent escape and injury and the top would be something softer to prevent boinking problems. Think that would be ok?

Ok, cool. I will look for those posts.

Here's the photos finally of my guinea pig run:

It's super low-tech. I'd use wire with smaller gaps to prevent escape and injury and the top would be something softer to prevent boinking problems. Think that would be ok?

Use hardware cloth. It isn't really cloth but wire cage material set at quarter inch intervals. Keep it only 1 foot high and they should not be able to boink with enough force to hurt themselves. If you still worry stretch some netting inside about an inch or two from the top to give them a bouncy surface. This way if a dog or cat gets in the yard they won't be able to tear the soft cover out and get to the quail.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom