Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics

A few shots of my quail enjoying the English sun. 4 eggs a day and we no longer need to buy eggs at the supermarket, perfect. I'm sure the coop will need some more insulation in the winter, does anyone have any ideas?

, great picts looks like an excellent set up. I keep mine in 50F in winter for year round laying, their laying subsides in our weather we have extreme cold in winter.Light heat dry well ventilated but draft free equals constant egg laying , had one hen that laid 300 plus eggs straight one every day.Cage insulation would be useless they are self insulating they fluff up and bunch together. If you had a heat source balanced to the conditions of the cage maybe insulation might be of use, reflective surface works with radiance ( think brooder) better than insulation which works better in contained space.Its hard to balance the hysterisis of a small space when you need air exchange for ventilation. Sheds garages larger spaces and containments work better for controlling the on off hysterisis of temp control. You can resolve these issues with metrics and calculations ,but quail are hardy they can take dry cold , no wind or humidity,but as I stated if you want egg laying they need warmth and light . The only thing I have question of is how long to let them lay before giving them a break, time to moult, regenerate, say 180 days on ? , we control their environment and social order ie, a rooster to boost their initiative to lay . I think they would survive a winter in a righteous set up like you have pictured. Is that lemon balm or catnip in the foreground.

I'll let them stop laying naturally and see how they get through the winter. I had considered culling in early winter but my son has become very attached. It's Lemon Balm in the coop, they seem to love it when I trim my plant back and give them the cuttings. Thanks for your input, the floor is fairly draft proof with trays underneath the wire. I'll consider some sort of clear plastic to cut the wind coming through the wire of the coop.

thumbsup.gif

Wow, I finally finished going through this entire thread (all 76 pages). Awesome pics, stories & helpful tips. I don't have any Quail yet but I am going to start looking to get some. Been thinking about all these ideas about what kind of coop/cage to house them in. The possibilities are Endless.

I know I need to keep the quail away from my chickens after reading through this thread so I will most likely be housing them in the barn/shed. Will be hoping a quail or 2 would go broody at some point to hatch out some babies far down the road so I guess I would have to keep buying replacement quail from someone around here when I find someone who has them.

I have about 80 chickens, 4 turkeys, 9 guineas, 3 ducks, 3 rabbits and 2 Labradors on my little 8 acre hobby farm.

I have never had any luck with my incubators so I do all my hatching under a broody Silkie or Phoenix hen right now. None of my large fowl have gone broody yet this year.

I got 4 of them broody right now an they have been hatching up all kinds of lil babies for me the last couple of months. I got 6 silkie/phoenix cross chicks about a month old now and im hoping they are going to be super brooders.

Jayare

Wow, I finally finished going through this entire thread (all 76 pages). Awesome pics, stories & helpful tips. I don't have any Quail yet but I am going to start looking to get some. Been thinking about all these ideas about what kind of coop/cage to house them in. The possibilities are Endless.

I know I need to keep the quail away from my chickens after reading through this thread so I will most likely be housing them in the barn/shed. Will be hoping a quail or 2 would go broody at some point to hatch out some babies far down the road so I guess I would have to keep buying replacement quail from someone around here when I find someone who has them.

I have about 80 chickens, 4 turkeys, 9 guineas, 3 ducks, 3 rabbits and 2 Labradors on my little 8 acre hobby farm.

I have never had any luck with my incubators so I do all my hatching under a broody Silkie or Phoenix hen right now. None of my large fowl have gone broody yet this year.

I got 4 of them broody right now an they have been hatching up all kinds of lil babies for me the last couple of months. I got 6 silkie/phoenix cross chicks about a month old now and im hoping they are going to be super brooders.

Jayare

Not that close but not that far either, I'm 173 miles east, 3 hours drive. I have white, brown and golden Coturnix.

and theres always USPS, if you don't find some closer. -QJ

So I found this sweet pallet and thought this will make a great base for my quail flight pen. I took half of the coop they were currently in and stuck it in the pen so they could have a place to hide or hang out.

I had to design it with a top that could be raised or lowered so it could fit through my garage door and so I could stand up inside of it.

The main structure is only 5' tall but goes up to over 6' tall.

The base is like 4.5'x7.5'

I hope to put lattice around the bottom to make it look a little nicer.

Yes there are only 5 quail :^( a raccoon raided them and ate 5 before they moved into their new home so my flock is looking a little sad. Also why the coop needs to fit in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom