Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
Thanks!! I've almost decided to use campaign signs cut down to size for dividers. I feel like it will be just as effective.

Since the bottoms of these pens are sloped - exactly how did you mount these? Can you get a close up picture of that? What did you use to catch droppings?

Thanks again for the reply - very informational.

I set mine up for pens on both sides. A wall was in the center separating the two stacks of pens. I simply made a 2"x2" frame for the pens to set on... Mine are all wire but it makes no difference. the back 2"x2" is 1 1/2" higher than the front to match the slope of my cages and keep the tops level.... I used 2' square rabbit pans from TSC to catch droppings.....

Here's mine...it's a bit of a monstrosity, cobbled together from an old bunny hutch, bed bases and pallets and chicken wire. Haha. My husband made the flip up roof from pallets. I'm going to add another extension on at some point...maybe put in a pool ;0)

Here's mine...it's a bit of a monstrosity, cobbled together from an old bunny hutch, bed bases and pallets and chicken wire. Haha. My husband made the flip up roof from pallets. I'm going to add another extension on at some point...maybe put in a pool ;0)

Awesome Kate! Tell me, iv seen the chicken coop type ramps used for years now.... Do your coturnix actually use the ramp?

Last edited:
I set mine up for pens on both sides. A wall was in the center separating the two stacks of pens. I simply made a 2"x2" frame for the pens to set on... Mine are all wire but it makes no difference. the back 2"x2" is 1 1/2" higher than the front to match the slope of my cages and keep the tops level.... I used 2' square rabbit pans from TSC to catch droppings.....

Thanks! I'm going to try to make my stand this week. I ordered the automatic water cups. Since I wont have a back I thought about using the back for water and the front for food.

Nice! Love the pans, are they plastic? Do you have trouble with rain getting to the lower row of cages?

Wow, a quail maze! Lots of choices of where to spend their day. I'm trying to imagine gathering eggs from that. An Easter egg hunt every day? Is it all connected, or is each section it's own cage?

Last edited:
They sure do! My girls love jumping up and down them, and I've set up a few different ones, just from bits of wood, that lead up to small platforms where they like sitting and watching the world. I covered them with bits of hay and grass which they love burying into. At first they were a bit cautious, and I must admit I did have to lured them up the main one with corn kernels and mealworm hehe. But once they got the hang of it they were up and down like no tomorrow! :)

Nice! Love the pans, are they plastic? Do you have trouble with rain getting to the lower row of cages?

Wow, a quail maze! Lots of choices of where to spend their day. I'm trying to imagine gathering eggs from that. An Easter egg hunt every day? Is it all connected, or is each section it's own cage?

Haha, yes it is a bit Sill! And yes, all bits are connected. I joined up the hutch and another wire one, and knocked together the wooden and chicken wire bit, connecting it all with wire and windbreak - it gets pretty windy where we are. However they can be disconnected and partitioned off for quarantine or moving around - I try to move them once a month for fresh grass and scratch. They seem to like it. As my girls tend to all lay together, or have their 'nests' buried in little hollows you can almost spot them straight away. Although it is kind of fun playing 'where's the egg' :) As I only have four right now its not too hard! I saw an idea to add wheels onto a house to move easier...and am thinking of extending so they are more 'free range', however they will always need to be in a house as our cats, and the whole neighbourhood's, look at them drooling! :) Love seeing other people's ideas and systems.

Back
Top Bottom