Show me your quail pens!!!

I had a little more free time than usual lately with all this craziness going on so I decided to build a quail pen. The open part of the cage is 2x6 and the smaller enclosed portion is 2x2. The ceiling is two feet high. I set it on 3.5 foot legs to help keep anything from trying to reach up from the bottom. I used PVC coated wire mesh for their feet and also built a 1x2 sandbox in there for them.

This was my first time building something from lumber and it takes a lot more effort than I ever thought... but it's fun! Looks like i picked up two new hobbies - woodworking and keeping quail.

Attachments

• quail pen.jpg
    quail pen.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 1,048
I had a little more free time than usual lately with all this craziness going on so I decided to build a quail pen. The open part of the cage is 2x6 and the smaller enclosed portion is 2x2. The ceiling is two feet high. I set it on 3.5 foot legs to help keep anything from trying to reach up from the bottom. I used PVC coated wire mesh for their feet and also built a 1x2 sandbox in there for them.

This was my first time building something from lumber and it takes a lot more effort than I ever thought... but it's fun! Looks like i picked up two new hobbies - woodworking and keeping quail.

Looks great. I like the detail on the solid door. Are the legs pressure treated? Looks like they're soaking up some water. If they aren't pressure treated, or even if they are, I would suggest throwing another layer of pavers under them to elevate them off the ground so that they don't rot.

Looks great. I like the detail on the solid door. Are the legs pressure treated? Looks like they're soaking up some water. If they aren't pressure treated, or even if they are, I would suggest throwing another layer of pavers under them to elevate them off the ground so that they don't rot.

No, not pressure treated since i didn't want to mess with that stuff. The dark coloring on the bottom portion of the legs is actually from extra waterproof sealant/stain. i had a little leftover so figured i might as well add it to the bottom. now that you mention it, it looks like it is soaking up water (d'oh!) Good call on the pavers, i'll definitely do that. and thanks for door compliment! i had a bunch of leftover triangles so figure i'd throw them on there. i like how it came out too!

Here's my 4th and most recent build. I designed this one to be modular. It is currently setup as four 5ftx3ft compartments but can be reconfigured to multiple sized compartments which include 6ft x 10ft, 3ft x 10ft, 5ft x 3ft, and 2.5ft x 3ft.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-4-0.1356339/

20200402_151611.jpg

20200407_134906.jpg

20200407_100957.jpg

Here's the other 3 designs....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-1-0.1231344/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-2-0.1231366/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-3-0.1239392/

Last edited:
habitat.jpg
So, we still have some trimming out to do, and at some point, we're probably going to re-do the wire floor so there's less framing, but this is our crazy indoor quail terrarium that my husband built for me out of an old end table, tongue and groove ceiling boards, glass shelving panels and connectors, and pvc boards and hardware cloth. Top panels are just framing with poster covers and bird netting (I'm hoping the bird netting will come off...)

Attachments

• 20200722_101343 (3).jpg
    20200722_101343 (3).jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 326
Here is my Quail Corner. The main hutch has three sections with small sliding wooden doors connecting them. Right now it is housing 4 birds, a male coturnix and 3 females. Underneath it is a Critter Nation cage that has just one male in it, and the other, identical cage, has 2 females in it. I don't think the picture of the enclosures shows any birds in the Critter Nation cages, because it was shot before they were put in. I am adding a few extra photos of my 2nd generation quail.
IMG_6202.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG IMG_6266.JPG IMG_6265.JPG IMG_6273.JPG

OmG that's beautifully done! Just about the size I am thinking for my future Quails! How many quails it can house? I'm thinking of getting 5 femaes and 1 male.

Here’s my recently completed “Quaviary” - its open bottomed with long sharpened legs that push down into the empty raised vege bed beneath it. The idea is that the quails will fertilise and de-weed the bed before being moved to the next empty bed, on a rotation system. The nesting boxes are removable, so the coop can be lifted up and away whilst the birds come independently afterwards.

Attachments

• 28314B0F-CC32-44CF-B1C2-5CD246BE3BDC.jpeg
    28314B0F-CC32-44CF-B1C2-5CD246BE3BDC.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 599AD3C8-E53C-4082-B250-CACE70F083A3.jpeg
    599AD3C8-E53C-4082-B250-CACE70F083A3.jpeg
    855.5 KB · Views: 211
  • E919668F-4A0D-4866-89FB-0B61335E6F97.jpeg
    E919668F-4A0D-4866-89FB-0B61335E6F97.jpeg
    632.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 3FE83163-F756-4365-A652-A1CDCAB12ACC.jpeg
    3FE83163-F756-4365-A652-A1CDCAB12ACC.jpeg
    691.1 KB · Views: 260
Here’s my recently completed “Quaviary” - its open bottomed with long sharpened legs that push down into the empty raised vege bed beneath it. The idea is that the quails will fertilise and de-weed the bed before being moved to the next empty bed, on a rotation system. The nesting boxes are removable, so the coop can be lifted up and away whilst the birds come independently afterwards.
Very nice! I move mine around on fallow garden beds too for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom