Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delawaregirl09, Sep 27, 2009.

1. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

I love Delawares and I raise them, a mix of Standard and Hatchery. I would LOVE to see everyone elses birds!

Here's a few of mine:
    Heffner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oreo, Heffners Son:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heffners Daughter:
    [​IMG]
    Another Heffner Daughter:
    [​IMG]
    A Different Heffner Daughter with assumed mother:
    [​IMG]
    Henrietta:
    [​IMG]
    Heffners Little Half-Brother:
    [​IMG]

2. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Beautiful birds! That Heffner is fabulous!

And I have a dumb question- the first two Heffner's daughters have crooked toes- what causes that?

Edited because I can't type worth a hoot.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. delawaregirl09

Quote:Thanks! And I'm not completely sure what causes crooked toes. They may have broke them as chicks or when they hatched in the hatcher. I wondered about this myself, but it doesnt seem to bother them or affect them.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Isaac and the ladies (they were dustbathing in red clay by the house, sorry):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I heard that it is the temperatures durring incubation that makes the toes like that but im not sure. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. delawaregirl09

Oh my! Isaac and his ladies are Beautiful, I love how they look.

And OSUman, I believe your right. I actually heard about that too. We had such a flux in temps because the incubators had something wrong with them and we were doing things the wrong way. But, no matter. I love them anyway!

1 person likes this.
  8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Toe/foot deformities can be temperature in incubator or genetic. Keep an eye and record the number of curled toed birds he produces, in the long run you may need to introduce another Roo.

Since if you breed him back to his curled toe daughters and start getting all the toes curled/twisted, or whole foot deformities you know it is the Roo.

Aren't Delawares pretty out free ranging and impressive even just standing around?

I love mine.

1 person likes this.
  9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes they are a beautiful breed, I love the white with the barred feathers eye catching but not just plain. I'm thinking. about starting a breeding flock and Delies are very high on my list. about the toe curling with hatch temps from my exp. usually most if not all toes are curled. the ones inthe pics just look like accidental breaks very common with larger hen jumping off too high of roost or when first hatched

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Here are my two delaware babies I think they are a pair as one is starting to get more ticking on their backs.
    [​IMG]

I also have their mothers two pullets and one hen that look pretty good. The pullets don't have enough hackle color but my hen does have good hackle color. I am going to try and post some picture of these ladies.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by