Show off your duck egg meals and/or baked goods!

I'm getting one egg every other day or so, from one of my nine runners, and this is the first time my ducks have ever laid in the winter. I froze some eggs this summer to get us through the dry period. First time doing it. Haven't tried thawing and using them yet. šŸ¤” My Bielefelder chickens are also slackers, seven months old and haven't laid a single egg yet.
Did you freeze them raw in the shell? Or did you cook them first? Curious! :)

I think if you freeze them in the shell they will crack. I used a silicone ice cube tray, put each egg (not in shell) into a cube mold and give them a little stir with a toothpick or knife to mix the yolk and whites a bit. Put the tray into freezer until the cubes are solid, then pop them out and store them in zip bags or freezer containers. I use vacuum bags. I haven't thawed and used them for anything yet so can't say how good this method is. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Made waffles. The yolk doesn't whip as easy as chicken seems like. But they were delicious! First three eggs over here and I could not have been more surprised when I saw the first one!

Attachments

• 20240224_094907.jpg
    20240224_094907.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 3
I think if you freeze them in the shell they will crack. I used a silicone ice cube tray, put each egg (not in shell) into a cube mold and give them a little stir with a toothpick or knife to mix the yolk and whites a bit. Put the tray into freezer until the cubes are solid, then pop them out and store them in zip bags or freezer containers. I use vacuum bags. I haven't thawed and used them for anything yet so can't say how good this method is. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
UPDATE: Having thawed some of these frozen eggs, I recommend mixing the yolk with white really well before freezing. The yolks on mine changed consistency with freezing and resisted mixing. I was not impressed, but the dog and chickens enjoyed them cooked up.

Back
Top Bottom