Show Off Your Games!

Yea we were on a guy's farm looking to buy a grey and we saw some chicks running around and I saw this little black one and I picked him up and asked him about it and he said $25 so I bought him and kept him inside for about a month... But it was obviously worth it
1f44d.png

Those of us who have seen thousands of American Games from "serious" breeders have seen many, many "Golden" males in American Games. They are so common, for years I assumed it is what you get when you cross grey and red fowl. When I was first introduced to chicken genetics at the Classroom at the Coop, I was temporarily confused by what those folks called "gold" designated by (s+ ) lower case s for recessive (not silver), + to indicate "wild type" which cockers call "lemon" or "lemon hackle" (they claim you need red enhancers to turn lemon to red). I have since learned that generally speaking "golden" in most circles refers to just what Chicken Coup 97 refers to, which appears to be a cross between a grey and a red. Of course geneticists and breeders of exhibition breeds refer to grey fowl as "silver" (S) capital S indicating dominance. It is interesting to see what game fowl breeders often see as opposed to what is theoretically supposed to happen. Below is what is theoretically supposed to happen. Keep the above in mind when you look at the following. Do you think the incidence of these "golden" males is due to the continuous outcrossing of American games such that maybe we have few truly homozygous males? Or is it Incomplete Dominant Inheritance as explained in the web site referenced below (but not copied here)? Again I remind you, "gold" below is "lemon" or "red" -it is not the "golden" phenotype referenced above which truly looks like a cross between a grey (silver) and a red or lemon. In the below examples there is no alowance for our "golden" real life examples. Sometimes I wonder if we have outcrossed our games to the point that some of the common rules don't seem to apply very predictably.

The following is from http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

Sex-Linked Inheritance

Sex-Linked genes are genes on the Z chromosome. Roosters have two Z chromosomes and hens have only one Z chromosome, plus one W chromosome. As the hens only have one sex-linked allele for any given locus, both dominant and recessive sex-linked genes are expressed with just one gene (as hemizygous).
If the sex-linked recessive allele is homozygous in the male, and the sex-linked dominant allele is found in the female, all offspring males will inherit the sex-linked dominant gene from the mother, and all offspring females will inherit the sex-linked recessive gene from the fathers. The following is a punnet square example of a sex-linked cross, where all offspring females are the colour of the father and all offspring males are the colour of the mother. The recipricol cross (ie parent males with sex-linked dominant genes, parent females with sex-linked recessive gene) doesn't work the same, as all offspring will have the dominant gene.

* First Generation cross results, using Gold male & Silver female parents:

pun_sex.gif

*Sex-Linked Dominant / Recessive Inheritance Mode, F1 generation
Genotypic Ratio = 1:1 (1 s+/ S : 1 s+ /-)
Phenotypic Ratio = 1:1 (1 silver- all males, 1 gold. all females)

-----------------------------------------
* Second Generation cross (inbreed offspring -Silver F1 X Silver F1) results:

pun_sexF2.gif

*Sex-Linked Dominant / Recessive Inheritance Mode, F2 Generation
Genotypic Ratio = 1:1:1:1 (1 S/S : 1 S/- : 1 s+/ S : 1 s+ /-)
Phenotypic Ratio = 1:2:1 (1 silver females, 2 silver males, 1 gold females) or
Colour only Phenotypic Ratio = 1:3 (1 gold, 3 silver)

-------------------------------------
Breeding homozygous gold (s+/s+) to hemizygous gold (s+/-) will produce all homozygous/hemizygous gold (s+/s+ or s+/-). Breeding homozygous Silver (S/S) to hemizygous Silver (S/-) will produce all homozygous/hemizygous Silver (S/S or S/-).
Other sex-linked breeding combination examples are:

- Silver, carrying Gold (S/s+) rooster paired to Gold (s+/-) hen.
This produces 50% Silver phenotype, 50% Gold phenotype, in both genders:
- 25% S/s+ (Silver males, carrying gold)
- 25% S/- (Silver females)
- 25% s+ /s+ (Gold males)
- 25% s+/- (Gold females)
- Silver (S/S) rooster paired to Gold (s+/-) hen.
This produces 100% Silver phenotype in both genders:
- 50% S/s+ (Silver males, carrying gold)
- 50% S/- (Silver females)

Last edited:
Yes John, I agree. I think Alex paid $25 for that chick because he is the real deal. The seller might have asked $500 or more for a breeding trio. Only Cookers who have high performance reputations are justified in asking the big bucks and the big bucks are hard to justify for hobbyist of the entirely legal sort.

Last edited:
It is not that the color rules don't apply, it is that with American games one shouldn't have bred for color. Kinda like the differences between working breed dogs and show breed dogs. In many instances looks and performance are usually on different ends of the breeders desired spectrum when comparing true working breeds to specialized show breeds. We are just very fortunate with American Games that no matter what color shows up on our birds, they are all beautiful to behold.

Back
Top Bottom