Show Off Your Games!

You need a mature cock to police those little killers. The Asils in particular will start trouble early, as in before they are feathered most of the time. Once you take one out of the group, you can never return it. You and pride & joy should get together and build a few dozen pens. You`re gonna need them, and soon. Gamefowl ain`t for the faint of heart and they ain`t your grannies Plymout Rocks. Git busy on those pens..........Pop

Hey lollipop,

Well, my original idea was to keep two of the boys and have two families (each with one rooster and three hens), free ranging one family at a time, while keeping the other penned up. That's assuming I end up with six hens. There are 13 chicks, so that's the plan. I will sell/give away all of the extra roosters. I hope this arrangement works. I can't imagine having to pen up each individual hen. I have already set up the two pens so that they cannot see between them (to preclude fighting between the fences).

They are all American games, although one is crossed with an Aseel. So far, that one is the calmest, ironically.

Let me know if you think this arrangement is feasible. Feel free to share any info, because like I said, I'm new to games, and have a lot to learn.

Quote:
I don`t know what others are feeding, but I feed Purina Starter til they are 2 months, then it`s Purina Game Bird Blend from then on. Been doing it for years with great results. No fat and a big strong breast. Blend is 14% protein which is about right. Orientals should not have a high protein diet as they grow too fast. I had a Mong point out to me that they feed mostly rice in Asian countries and the birds were developed and maintained on low protein feed. Higher than 14%-16% ain`t good for them.
In So FL, most all the birds of Spanish blood are from Cuban (shorter legs) or Puerto Rican (longer legs) stock. They are all reffered to as "Spanish", until you start talking to a Hispanic cocker, who will call them by other names, commonly taken from breeders of a bloodline. Same thing with most any gamefowl. In Asils, names were originally taken from towns or regions where they were bred. Now, at least in the US, it`s the breeder, original importer, or somebodies whim. Get yourself that book by Horst Schmudde called "Oriental Gamefowl". Even though Horst is a premedonna, his book is the best available today. I think you can get it from Amazon. Don`t know of anything good in print for Spanish Games, but hang out at the feed store and talk to some Hispanic cockers. If you can convince them you aren`t a cop and win their trust, they are a world of information on the Spanish fowl. Good luck.......Pop

Hey Pop,

Thank you for the words of wisdom, will be ordering the book today. As far as what the locals call them amongst themselves I have some idea. (actually have some what should be nice chicks from one line and a promise of a stag from another well though of line hopefully coming. I was doing the math and it turns out the older shamos are hatched in early Feb, and since you told me about the assils they seem to be maturing daily.

Do you thing a 4x12x6 is goof for maybe a shamo trio? Also how tall should I make common wall, as not to have them fence fight, I am afraid if I just go floor to sealing it won’t have enough of a breeze?

Ish

Quote:
That Asil cross will reach a point, just like the others, where it will be a problem, if it`s a stag. Having raised all the pullets together, there may not be a problem keeping them together, but there are exceptions, like when the sisters start fighting. Doesn`t happen often, but it is common. Thing is, you don`t need more than 2 hens of each breed you intend to keep, unless you want the eggs for eating. Two hens will hatch more of the little killers than you will want to pen, but the temptation is great. Actually, the only reason to keep 2 is for a backup.
Ideal arrangement, in my opinion, would be the two pens with a trio of all one breed in each. These should be the best birds you have from the group you have now. Choose them when they are a little older so you get an idea of which ones you like best. If you keep only pure stock, you can make crosses to suit you, but understand that crosses don`t breed true, that is they will not reproduce themselves. You must start with the original ingredience to reproduce any crosses you like. Also, the hen is the more important factor. If you have a good offspring that you really like, his sister will come closer to passing on his traits than he will. To much info, sorry. Gotta stop running my mouth. Have fun with them..........Pop

pride&joy :

Quote:
I don`t know what others are feeding, but I feed Purina Starter til they are 2 months, then it`s Purina Game Bird Blend from then on. Been doing it for years with great results. No fat and a big strong breast. Blend is 14% protein which is about right. Orientals should not have a high protein diet as they grow too fast. I had a Mong point out to me that they feed mostly rice in Asian countries and the birds were developed and maintained on low protein feed. Higher than 14%-16% ain`t good for them.
In So FL, most all the birds of Spanish blood are from Cuban (shorter legs) or Puerto Rican (longer legs) stock. They are all reffered to as "Spanish", until you start talking to a Hispanic cocker, who will call them by other names, commonly taken from breeders of a bloodline. Same thing with most any gamefowl. In Asils, names were originally taken from towns or regions where they were bred. Now, at least in the US, it`s the breeder, original importer, or somebodies whim. Get yourself that book by Horst Schmudde called "Oriental Gamefowl". Even though Horst is a premedonna, his book is the best available today. I think you can get it from Amazon. Don`t know of anything good in print for Spanish Games, but hang out at the feed store and talk to some Hispanic cockers. If you can convince them you aren`t a cop and win their trust, they are a world of information on the Spanish fowl. Good luck.......Pop

Hey Pop,

Thank you for the words of wisdom, will be ordering the book today. As far as what the locals call them amongst themselves I have some idea. (actually have some what should be nice chicks from one line and a promise of a stag from another well though of line hopefully coming. I was doing the math and it turns out the older shamos are hatched in early Feb, and since you told me about the assils they seem to be maturing daily.

Do you thing a 4x12x6 is goof for maybe a shamo trio? Also how tall should I make common wall, as not to have them fence fight, I am afraid if I just go floor to sealing it won’t have enough of a breeze?

Ish​

The common wall should be about 36" tall so a tall cock can`t look over it by stretching. Don`t put the roost too close either. Your measurements are fine as long as you can stand up in the pen. In your area, shade is the big deal with rain as an afterthought. Rain is good for them, unless you have a bunch of stags together. Put your nest boxes on the ground. When Animal Control comes snooping, they look for shade and clean water.
Orientals mature very slow. A stag over one year, but under two years, is a bull stag. They don`t reach full maturity until around 2 years, although pullets lay around 6 mos and roosters are really macho from 7-8 mos on. Asil chicks will often start a scrap when you aren`t looking and are capable of mortal combat before they get all their feathers. Broken necks, wings, and legs are common as well as the traditional strawberry heads. Sometimes other Orientals do the same, but not as common.
Sounds like you have some good Spanish stock comming. I`m very invious as I no longer have any Spanish. Good luck to ya..........Pop

Hey Pop,

Again thanks for the valued advice. The older shamos I will keep 8 out of an original 24 and on the younger batch I will probably keep two trios. I have one stag of the older ones an prob a pair of the younger that I will probably part with. I am loving the way the assils are looking. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between shamos and Malaysian games? I have two maylsians that I hatched out and they are BBR but other than that they look a lot like the shamos of similar age?

Funny how you mention that the hen is the most valued part of the breeding program. I could remember Grandpa say that is you have an over abundance of good stags you could sell them for good $ but if you have more hens than you could keep. It is best to make soup so that your own blood does not come back to haunt you. Keeping in mind those were different times and a different place ( pre castro Cuba). I see you are up in West Palm some times? I my Spanish stock turn out like they should, you would be more than welcome to some chicks or eggs.

Ish

pride&joy :

Hey Pop,

Again thanks for the valued advice. The older shamos I will keep 8 out of an original 24 and on the younger batch I will probably keep two trios. I have one stag of the older ones an prob a pair of the younger that I will probably part with. I am loving the way the assils are looking. Is there a way to visually tell the difference between shamos and Malaysian games? I have two maylsians that I hatched out and they are BBR but other than that they look a lot like the shamos of similar age?

Funny how you mention that the hen is the most valued part of the breeding program. I could remember Grandpa say that is you have an over abundance of good stags you could sell them for good $ but if you have more hens than you could keep. It is best to make soup so that your own blood does not come back to haunt you. Keeping in mind those were different times and a different place ( pre castro Cuba). I see you are up in West Palm some times? I my Spanish stock turn out like they should, you would be more than welcome to some chicks or eggs.

Ish

The Malay is bigger and less upright. And of course they aren`t game. The O Shamo is nearly the same size, but much nore upright. Also, the line of the back has a disinctive 3 arch appearance through the neck, back, and tail. Most Shamos have had the gameness bred out of them as they are now show chickens. Probably doesn`t matter much anymore as the heat is on.

You have a PM...........Pop​

I am loving this thread!!! I am still learning, TOTALLY new to the birds, but here are a few of ours.....

Uncle Leo

CIMG2443-1.jpg

Burke

CIMG2474-1.jpg

Peter and Lois

24024_417133171139_747821139_572263.jpg

Maggie

CIMG2699.jpg

Quote:
Not at all, I'm appreciating all the information. I do have another question, however. What should I begin to look for in order to differentiate the pullets from the stags? Keep in mind that they are only 3 1/2 weeks old.

Quote:
Not at all, I'm appreciating all the information. I do have another question, however. What should I begin to look for in order to differentiate the pullets from the stags? Keep in mind that they are only 3 1/2 weeks old.

At about 6-8 weeks you will see the comb and face of the stags start to show a lot of pink. The pullets won`t show color til just before they start to lay at about 5-7 mos. Ain`t chickens fun?........Pop

Back
Top Bottom