Show Off Your Games!

Some do have to be split up very early, even the pullets, like Centra said. I thought I heard that oriental game stags get along for awhile because they mature slowly, but that may be case dependent.
Orientals vary a lot in terms of how they get along as chicks. Aseels my neighbor has make my American Games look like little angels. Others are slow to come into their "courage".

I almost got a couple dark aseel pullets this year. I would free range them, and I was concerned about the size difference with my other game hens, so I decided against it for now. Sounds like they are pretty dominating
Some, but like with American Games there is variation. I would talk more with the breeder of birds you are interested in. Take a look at how he / she keeps them housed as a function of age and sex.

I don't have a source yet. I met a guy at the feed store who had a pet malay rooster, and the roo was so friendly and smart, now I want to get some oriental gamefowl hatching eggs.

I don't have pens right now, but I have an empty 4x8 tractor that was pretty easy to make.
you should do a lil research on housing and such if you have not already. It's best to have housing lined up and ready to go before you start raising any cause once you have chicks it's only a matter of time till they will have to be penned singularly or in pairs. A tractor for a flock will not work.

On Japs, the "Jap" chickens came mostly from Japanese settlers to California. At some point they were Shamo, probably not "O" Shamo, probably more like "Chu" Shamo. Along the way they were most likely crossed with some American birds, by the time you get to the named Jap lines they have a pretty high tail set. They are blended birds, have a few Oriental traits, but mostly just a leggy black American game.
He is already different from anything else I have kept. For his size, real heavy. He can fly vertical OK but too heavy in backside to go horizontally.

you should do a lil research on housing and such if you have not already. It's best to have housing lined up and ready to go before you start raising any cause once you have chicks it's only a matter of time till they will have to be penned singularly or in pairs. A tractor for a flock will not work.

Yup :) I meant that I will make a 4x8 tractor for each one that needs to be penned. I only plan to keep one stag and one or 2 pullets.

For what reason? Holy lord, is it as humid there as it is here?

Public display birds. I appear to be real special on the Missouri Department of Agriculture's radar. The inspectors know me because one used to be one of my students and the boss in with one of my friends. Too well connected.

So humid I strip down to shoes and underwear and still rolling in sweat just walking pens. Birds are still having heat issues when on the roost. Hotter now on them than it was in 2012 because of all the humidity. Frogs also spawned last night in huge numbers.

Public display birds. I appear to be real special on the Missouri Department of Agriculture's radar. The inspectors know me because one used to be one of my students and the boss in with one of my friends. Too well connected.

So humid I strip down to shoes and underwear and still rolling in sweat just walking pens. Birds are still having heat issues when on the roost. Hotter now on them than it was in 2012 because of all the humidity. Frogs also spawned last night in huge numbers.

That's funny, cause I've been working outside in my underwear too, lol. The frogs and toads are aplenty. My phone and glasses fog up when I go outside from the ac.

They are always worried about commercial interests. I saw a census they took in the heaviest commercial poultry states. They went door to door within a 1 or 2 mile radius around the commercial farms, to take a tally of private chicken owners, how many they kept, and their biosecurity measures. Game fowl breeders seem to be high on the list, because of the number of birds kept, but found that their birds are usually the healthiest, and they have the best biosecurity measures.

Back
Top Bottom