Show Off Your Games!

There is more chance that a crow-winged hen would be dark faced. Just a wild guess based on one picture---- Brass back. Tom

Your picture is a much better example of brassy back than this bird. This looks BBR to me...so does the hen in the other pic you posted just now.

Walt

Yes the feather lightening in the breast area (Salmon to very light tan=duck-wing) or breast the same color as the rest of the body plumage in the hens is the differences JFYI if you don't already know how to identify the differences betwixt duckwing (BBR or Silver) hens and birchen (Brown/Reds-crow-wing or brassy back) hens.

Not trying to be a smartie-pants just explaining what fors? and how comes? LOL

Jeff

Well I wanted to keep the color pure so at least now I have a goal to shoot for. I guess "brass back" is the gamefowl name.
She doesn't appear brassyback to me. She looks like a modified b.b. red though. There's a gene that will cause that dark head your hen has. This hen of mine is the same way:

Here's a brassyback hen for comparision:

this is what you commonly see as a brassyback in American Games. These are Wheaton based, not B.B. Red Based:

Interesting. Well she definately isnt wheaten based, going by pics. I starting to think based on her gypsy face and black legs she may be BBR with a black fowl(brown red or something) in her back ground. I do know the breeder preferred gypsy faced fowl. This may have been part of his attempt to create gypsy face on BBR. I think the best thing to do is breed her to a red game and see what they produce. Are there any strains that you can find black leg BBR commonly?

its likely, as that muffed hen I showed you comes from a line that I'm told will throw brown reds from time to time. If he was breeding for dark faces he may have bred other modifiers into the line as well. I think she's b.b. red based. Can't think of any b.b. red lines with black legs specifically, but there are several with blue legs or dark green legs.

Back
Top Bottom