Show Off Your Games!

This is just for fun.

Okay, I bred this one rooster.

With all these hens.

These are the colors I got.

Only got one like this one. Don't know where he cam from.

All the roosters are about the same color, but with different combs.

Most of the hens turned out this color.

Just got one like this guy

Got five like this even though there was no silver in any of the parents.

Not bad for shotgun breeding.
smile.png

Great example of why American Gamefowl are not easy to throw out a punnett square on and explain colors. The "grey" coloration such as your last 2 results came from the 3rd and 7th hens as grey is dominant to red when it comes to color. Does that 8th hen have a "blue" tail? If so then it really gets hairy when trying to "guess" what you are gonna get as I have seen blues throw anything from black to white to everything in between. Why it is best to single mate and separate with American games so you know what comes from where. Even with all the fancy names we apply to American gamefowl, most are just very elaborate crosses and blends that have been set as families and given a breeders name. Great looking birds by the way.

Wow, when my wife started this thread so long ago I didn't thnk it would lead to this. "Duckwing" refers to the white in the wing, that 3rd bird is a black breasted red. Not eit doesn't even have whit ein the wing to call it a "duckwing". Google image search "gold duckwing" and the only red birds are the ones you have posted. The wings give it away, the golds you have seen referred to that look red are very dark golden color with the proper wing color corresponding. Now be kind to one another and keep the gamefowl thread alive...
Not to get into a heated debate or anything but "Duckwing" refers to the steel blue feathers on the wing, which form a bar similar to the bar on the wing of the Mallard duck. I personally would never refer to a Black breasted red as a duckwing, to me they are reds,dark reds, light reds, lemon hackles, etc.etc.
But I get what Catdaddy was saying and to see a little of where he's coming from look at your BBR's and Duckwing birds or even Jungleexplorer's pictures above, they both have the blue bar on the wing like a Mallard hence the name "Duckwing".
wink.png

(not my duck)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
O I get what he is saying too, but I am going off of the American Gamefowl standard of perfection as set up by the American Gamefowl Society pertaining to showing American gamefowl. These are not dutch bantams, phoenix, or jungle fowl. The standard does not apply "gold duckwing" as a recognized color variety. So to fit the show standard the bird would be shown as a black breasted red or a wheaten (depending on the hens from the line as they are hard to tell apart rooster wise), was all i was trying to get at. This thread was started all this time ago to show off our gamefowl and to help those new to gamefowl learn the "lingo" and such of the gamefowl world. Proclaiming to be an "expert" and trying to throw ones weight around without knowing the birds one is talking about does a disservice to those new to the breed. How is this person going to feel when they possibly post the bird as a "duckwing" to American gamefowl breeders and show a black breasted red? What if they want to sell chicks out of him and post as such, people will highly doubt their knowledge of their birds as well as their reputation. I am all for good debate and disscussion, all can learn from it, but I will not tolerate someone coming into our families thread and failing to get understanding due to not being able to get over their ego. Now enough of this lets get back to posting gamefowl pix :).

O I get what he is saying too, but I am going off of the American Gamefowl standard of perfection as set up by the American Gamefowl Society pertaining to showing American gamefowl. These are not dutch bantams, phoenix, or jungle fowl. The standard does not apply "gold duckwing" as a recognized color variety. So to fit the show standard the bird would be shown as a black breasted red or a wheaten (depending on the hens from the line as they are hard to tell apart rooster wise), was all i was trying to get at. This thread was started all this time ago to show off our gamefowl and to help those new to gamefowl learn the "lingo" and such of the gamefowl world. Proclaiming to be an "expert" and trying to throw ones weight around without knowing the birds one is talking about does a disservice to those new to the breed. How is this person going to feel when they possibly post the bird as a "duckwing" to American gamefowl breeders and show a black breasted red? What if they want to sell chicks out of him and post as such, people will highly doubt their knowledge of their birds as well as their reputation. I am all for good debate and disscussion, all can learn from it, but I will not tolerate someone coming into our families thread and failing to get understanding due to not being able to get over their ego. Now enough of this lets get back to posting gamefowl pix :).
True, when you refer to American games the color names will defer from that of a similar colored birds. Take for example the brown leghorn, BBR color pattern right? Would I call my BBR American games brown...never. Some people post pictures of their birds and want to know the color pattern of them
without even being for sure what breed they are. If someone showed me an American game chicken and asked me the color pattern, I would try my best to describe it in American gamefowl terms. The more time a beginner spends in the American gamefowl world the more they pick up and realize
how to refer to their birds. Everybodys got an opinion and everyones trying to help sometimes all that can get confusing.

Not to get into a heated debate or anything but "Duckwing" refers to the steel blue feathers on the wing, which form a bar similar to the bar on the wing of the Mallard duck. I personally would never refer to a Black breasted red as a duckwing, to me they are reds,dark reds, light reds, lemon hackles, etc.etc.
But I get what Catdaddy was saying and to see a little of where he's coming from look at your BBR's and Duckwing birds or even Jungleexplorer's pictures above, they both have the blue bar on the wing like a Mallard hence the name "Duckwing".
wink.png

Thats exactly what I was getting at matter of fact I posted that and deleted it though it might be too far out for most to get.

DELETED this too as I can see this going to far guys like the moderator of the thread said yall post up those pics and call them what you want too

Jungle explorer if you want a golden colored duckwing from your stock you posted cross a red male over a grey female you will get grey males and red females simple gold gene x silver gene cross. boy this went haywire somewhere. huh?
hmm.png

Last edited:
never said I was an expert, read my siggy
smile.png

good day all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom