Show Off Your Games!

Jungle explorer asked
"One more question. Am I wrong to call the above hen a Golden Duckwing? I only ask this because when I was doing searches for pictures of GDs, I ran across this rendition and the above hen is the smitten image of the one in the rendition".

Technically golden Duckwing is a hybrid color Ss+ only possible in males
as females have only one copy of the chromosome bearing the "s" gene

That's about the most logical answer I've read yet in the whole matter. LOL
finally someone who gets(got) the picture.

Nothing intended to the poster of the question or others that don't truely know but the one more educated(I guess is the term) in poultry and I know this to is because the realms of the game world are far and wide and sometimes a little narrowing of the boundaries sure can upset the balance. LOL

That's about the most logical answer I've read yet in the whole matter. LOL
finally someone who gets(got) the picture.

Nothing intended to the poster of the question or others that don't truely know but the one more educated(I guess is the term) in poultry and I know this to is because the realms of the game world are far and wide and sometimes a little narrowing of the boundaries sure can upset the balance. LOL
You know, I've known for some time that there were technically no "Golden duckwing" hens as they only inherit the S gene. That has made me wonder about something, perhaps one of you can answer it. Back when I raised OEGB, I knew of a few people who used the golden duckwings to improve their silvers type simply because typically speaking the BBred's always had better type which influenced the goldens. This has resulted, from my understanding, in the birds turning yellow when exposed to sun as I always heard that a true silver would never do so.

If the hens only inherit the silver gene, then would it make sense to use a hen over a golden/BBred cock and then use the young pullets to breed back to a good (true) silver duckwing cock thus eliminating the gold gene (as the cock didn't have it, and the hen supposedly doesn't inherit it?). I don't have silvers anymore, but it is something I have always thought about. I may eventually start with silver Kraienköppe so the knowledge could come in handy then.

ETA: Also, since the gold gene supposedly does not effect the silver hens.. Why does wheaten turn silver duckwing into silver wheaten/buttermilk hens?

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
You know, I've known for some time that there were technically no "Golden duckwing" hens as they only inherit the S gene. NOThat has made me wonder about something, perhaps one of you can answer it. Back when I raised OEGB, I knew of a few people who used the golden duckwings to improve their silvers type simply because typically speaking the BBred's always had better type which influenced the goldens. This has resulted, from my understanding, in the birds turning yellow when exposed to sun as I always heard that a true silver would never do so.

If the hens only inherit the silver gene, then would it make sense to use a hen over a golden/BBred cock and then use the young pullets to breed back to a good (true) silver duckwing cock thus eliminating the gold gene (as the cock didn't have it, and the hen supposedly doesn't inherit it?). I don't have silvers anymore, but it is something I have always thought about. I may eventually start with silver Kraienköppe so the knowledge could come in handy then.

ETA: Also, since the gold gene supposedly does not effect the silver hens.. Why does wheaten turn silver duckwing into silver wheaten/buttermilk hens? Flip flop this and you'll have it

God bless,
Daniel.
The hens inherit the gold gene from the male/sire(little s) its sex link crossing the golden male is a split of s+ x S= Ss+

Silver is dominant over gold,

Jeff
smile.png

Last edited:
Jungle explorer:
the chicken calculator
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
seems to me to indicate that if you breed your hen to the GD rooster
50% of the rooster chicks would be GD & 50% Silver
50% of the pullets silver (gray) & 50% brown
the calculator is useful and fun give it a try
Thanks pastorwalt!
Try out the chicken calculator! It's pretty fun, and informative too!

He looks Crele or Dom but more Crele to me
Dom is a catch-all word used by American game breeders that commonly describes anything from crele, to a solid barred/cuckoo bird, to a bird that is even primarily white but has barring/throws barred birds. It's just short for the word Dominecker which people use to describe any barred bird typically, doesn't matter if it is a black sexlink, Dominique, barred rock, etc. I'd call him a Crele if I wanted to be specific to color.

Back
Top Bottom