Show Off Your Games!

Is the red full Irish or no? The black looks neat but my personal opinion ( a person can do as they please with their birds) the true Irish game are getting crossed out of existence which is sad due to their long history. Much of the American Gamefowl owe their existence to the rugged Irish stock that went into making them.

v,
I agree with you about straight Irish birds, especially in the States. But I'd say that in the American Game there is about 90-95% English and the other 5% is Asil (Jap), Irish, and Spanish. At least of most strains in existence today. Don't mean to be arguementive, but I really think most American Games contain only a drop of Irish blood.

v,
I agree with you about straight Irish birds, especially in the States. But I'd say that in the American Game there is about 90-95% English and the other 5% is Asil (Jap), Irish, and Spanish. At least of most strains in existence today. Don't mean to be arguementive, but I really think most American Games contain only a drop of Irish blood.
Saladin your point is not taken as argument. I'll agree that many lines will have only a drop of Irish and are most likely mostly English. The question however is when and where was the Irish blood was put in. For example, the original Hatch fowl were said to have been 1/2 Kearney Brown Red (Irish) and 1/2 Kearney Whitehackle (Irish). Now from there many variations of Hatch have been made. And I'd go as far as to say that even the lines that remain in the states that are predominantly Irish will have some English or other blood in them now due to the need for freshening the bloodlines from time to time. Off the top of my head the Herrisford Birchens, Flarrey Eyed Greys, Irish Pyles, and some lines of Irish Hennies. About the only line I can think of in the states which might still be full Irish is a line of Redquills that is owned by a man who's family brought them from Ireland and has maintained them ever since (McCleary strain, said to predate the Eslins).

In the end we weren't there for every step of the development of every bloodline here in the U.S. so we'll never know. But it is fun to speculate :)

Saladin your point is not taken as argument. I'll agree that many lines will have only a drop of Irish and are most likely mostly English. The question however is when and where was the Irish blood was put in. For example, the original Hatch fowl were said to have been 1/2 Kearney Brown Red (Irish) and 1/2 Kearney Whitehackle (Irish). Now from there many variations of Hatch have been made. And I'd go as far as to say that even the lines that remain in the states that are predominantly Irish will have some English or other blood in them now due to the need for freshening the bloodlines from time to time. Off the top of my head the Herrisford Birchens, Flarrey Eyed Greys, Irish Pyles, and some lines of Irish Hennies. About the only line I can think of in the states which might still be full Irish is a line of Redquills that is owned by a man who's family brought them from Ireland and has maintained them ever since (McCleary strain, said to predate the Eslins).

In the end we weren't there for every step of the development of every bloodline here in the U.S. so we'll never know. But it is fun to speculate :)
Speculation is indeed a fun past-time. I'd love to own a strain of straight Irish anything. Alas, I've had to be satisfied with creating my own strains as the color varieties I enjoy are few and far inbetween. I do have straight Brown Red hennies, John Sears Muffs and Travelers. I'm working on my own Brown Reds and Lemon Blues. They'll be strictly Carolina Chickens,
cool.png

Ditto on the guess. It is interesting to guess at ag strains. I wish I had asked more of the right questions but their background is now irretrievable. So i call mine Appalachian games :) given this area was settled by Irish and German, and due to topagraphy has remained fairly well isolated I would guess those lines contain would have originated from their source. Reading historical accounts, it appears that many cockers would attempt to improve their line by adding other strains as well as experimenting with breeding. Perhaps another ag claim to fame is also the variety of blood lines that can be found. Of course, crossing with a moose or something similar would be out of bounds and you'd have to name it a different breed. Personally, I think I'm going to just stick with what I've got and maybe introduce some fresh strain...hoping soon.

i never done the breeding i got a 1/4 irish game 3/4 sumatra and bred it back to a full shamo hen if i have pure stock i will breed pure stock if there mixed u will never get them back full it would take years upon years so i tryed something diffrent

Is the red full Irish or no? The black looks neat but my personal opinion ( a person can do as they please with their birds) the true Irish game are getting crossed out of existence which is sad due to their long history. Much of the American Gamefowl owe their existence to the rugged Irish stock that went into making them.
black breasted red irish

Back
Top Bottom