Show Off Your Games!

na these are asils... they are one of the tallest birds... quite aggressive to other roos but docile to humans...

Aseels are also one of the oldest breed in the world with more than 3 thousand years of history .
This is a rare breed
hennie feather Brazilian aseel cross

Asil are the oldest recorded breed in the world. They are rivaled in antiquity only by the bankivoid Game that we now call Old English Games.

I found a gamecock rooster earlier this month in a big parking lot at night. He was weak and disoriented and quite dehydrated . He has pretty clearly been raised as a fighter, and the vet confirmed this and thinks he is few years old because of an overgrown beak that had problems so maybe he was dumped or something unexpected happened to get him away from his captors, who knows .

Evil things happen to these types of roosters commonly where I live and there are a lot of wild chickens anyway . I've heard he could potentially get stolen for unscrupulous purposes . He seems pretty clueless about taking care of himself and is easily picked up and unlike the wild chickens around here, he seems unable to survive on his own and doesn't know how to jump up high or fly or run away from a fight . Poor little dude. I can sense how more alarmed he is around men than women, probably rightly so .

I didn't personally know anything about chickens before I started researching it (love this website !) and determined that he has been dubbed and had his spurs cut off . He is currently molting so he looks pretty bad but his feathers are growing in . He has old wounds and scabs on him ! He is definitely aggressive at times but has never actually hurt me and I just don't escalate any bad behavior and it quickly stops . I realize that he has had a rough, cruel start in life and I am patient with him . Most of the time he is gentle, but that aggression is definitely there like a short temper . He's a big boy with a real beauty to him. He really enjoys being held by me and petted and fussed with ...once I have quickly grabbed him (he still isn't comfortable being grabbed so I move fast on him or do it when he is busy preening himself ...which is his favorite pasttime) but he always settles down in my arms...he likes car rides ( his eyesight is amazing ! He spots and makes little sounds about everything !) and he often falls asleep in my lap in the house and rarely poops on the blanket I have on my lap, like he is trying not to be rude . :)

I want him to find a wonderful home with someone who can appreciate him and not hurt him. He definitely has a distinct little personality and he is sensitive at heart even though he does get confrontational ...and we're working on that. ;)

Just wanted to share my own story and say that I really appreciate this thread and several posts on here that show that these roosters can be loved and can return that affection, even the old fighters . It's sad to me personally how people just assume that they will always be mean and aren't capable of being a pet. I think anything is possible if a person is willing to try and to be kind.

I have found hardly any information online about gamecocks as pets or rehabilitated, especially rescues. :( In trying to place him (because I haven't figured out a way to keep him long term yet!) I was told again and again as advice that I should just have him euthanized at a shelter because there was no good future for him. But he is healthy and not truly mean, and he has a spirit and he should have a second chance at life, he deserves that .

I believe it's often people who are the problem, not the birds. Many of these roosters are smart enough to be trained to get along with other people and other roosters too. If someone cares to work with them with love to undo the harm that has been done to them for profit which encouraged the extra aggression and fear in them in the first place, then I think we could see some remarkable things. Just my opinion, learning as I go ! :)

Last edited:
as long as you home him somewhere that has no other roosters he should be fine. contrary to the belief of some you cannot train out the rooster-aggression if he is truly a game bird.

Put some pictures up. I'd like to see your rooster. They are beautiful birds. You should find a way of keeping him as a pet. If he's able to recover, he should be able to live in you back yard with little care. These birds are tough and will survive as long as you give him food and water to drink. You can feed him 4-6 ounces of food a day. Thats about 3 pounds of food a week. and a 50lb bad cost about $18 (give or take $2). If my math is right, you should spend no more than $20 about ever 4 months. Even though the spurs have been cut off, if there is a stub or a small spur that has been cut off, it will grow back to the point where if he ever does want attack you and is able to fly... he can seriousely stab you. I've had a rooster attack me when I went to feed the chickens when I was 10 years old. His spurs went through my school uniform and my legs where full of blood from where the spurs had struck my legs. You will need to recut them, but they take time to grow. hope this help
smile.png

upcountry,

You have totally misunderstood Games.

Games have been culled for centuries for 'manfighting.' They are by nature easy to handle; many love to be petted. There aggression is toward other cocks not toward humans. Humans DID NOT do this to them; they come that way and for over 3,000 years have been selected for the trait of gameness.

Whether we agree with cocking or not is not the issue here.

The fact that he allows you to handle him is because of his breeding/rearing and not anything you have specifically done.

That you 'rescued' him is commendable, but don't misunderstand what he is or will ever be, that cannot be changed if he is Game.

We exhibit our Games and Orientals, but understand if they were to be turned loose then at the end of the day there would only be ONE left. (That's why we keep them penned once mature). They are the most affectionate of fowl. Nothing like regular barnyard breeds.

as long as you home him somewhere that has no other roosters he should be fine. contrary to the belief of some you cannot train out the rooster-aggression if he is truly a game bird.
I agree. I've had roosters that I raised as chicks away from their mom. I've taken half of the chicks away from the hen as soon as they hatch (or even from an incubator). The hen raised 4 and I raised 5. Once they where about 9 months old,one day I went in to carry one of my "babies" that I raised, and he wanted to fight my hand. He managed to peck me and throw some kicks at me. Their dad was an agressive rooster and I though I could rais his offspring so they would know me from the day they were born, but it's about a 50/50 that the aggressiveness will get passed down from generation to generation. I'm no expert, but thats what I've l earned in the past.

Hi thank you for the advice . I will take some pics of him . I guess if I kept him I would likely never have him around another rooster . I could be curious about whether or not he would ever get along with another rooster if he was slowly acclimated . I read about it as a technique that has been effective for several of them with happy results . http://sanctuary.bravebirds.org/projects/rooster-rehab/

That's really interesting to know more about the breed and history.

I live in a neighborhood that is agriculturally zoned but has some close houses, and this rooster does crow in the morning so I have just been waiting for a complaint from a neighbor which seems inevitable . :/ He is loose with a small hutch he seems to prefer sitting in, it's kinda funny that he doesn't want to venture out and explore . I give him lots of treats and a good game mix that I got at the local feed store .

Back
Top Bottom