Show Off Your Games!

[email protected] call: 805/524-4046

Dave Anderson is running this show.. SEASIDE FEATHER FANCIERS SHOW @ the Ventura County Fairgrounds. The show is twice a year in the spring and fall. I was there last year and there was a small turnout of games, BUT I learned alot from the fellows that were there.... I really like game birds.
There are alot more game classes at other shows in CA. U can also find out about them on the american game fowl society thread....THAT I was able to find...:p

my american game cock has recently gotten frostbite . he is almost 2 years old and hasnt been dubbed . the frostbite is bad should i dub him or do combs heal. i know that they are supposed to be dubbed but I like the big comb so I never did anything about it

my american game cock has recently gotten frostbite . he is almost 2 years old and hasnt been dubbed . the frostbite is bad should i dub him or do combs heal. i know that they are supposed to be dubbed but I like the big comb so I never did anything about it

I have about 10 stags with frostbitten combs. I will do nothing beyond watch for complications associated with infection. It has been a month since damage occurred so damaged areas are starting to fall off. Proper dubbing will then be done in March/April before it gets hot. My birds are in good shape so no complications so far.

I also have dark burgundy hackles in my older rooster Fabio, he is half Leiper hatch which are very dark hackled.

That recessive wheaton pullet is new from last year's breeding and just started laying. I will definitely breed her this season, although I am not sure who I am going to pair her with. She is very large size and has some pretty blue legs... I probably wont breed her to the "wild type" because I'd like to keep the wild type a little smaller.

After hearing Childressj's rant about "wild type" games, I think I am actually going to create a seperate breeding program for just that purpose... Maybe call them American Jungle Fowl... lol

I am not sure there was ever many wild-type games in the US. Even before brought over from Europe they had a range of mutations that were fixed or nearly so making a given strain differentiated from other strains beyond simply style in the pit. The later introduction of the oriental blood I think is what really gave some US strains that mutant look that makes them more distinguishable from red jungle fowl.

I have about 10 stags with frostbitten combs. I will do nothing beyond watch for complications associated with infection. It has been a month since damage occurred so damaged areas are starting to fall off. Proper dubbing will then be done in March/April before it gets hot. My birds are in good shape so no complications so far.
so do I need to wait till it falls of to do anything

I am not sure there was ever many wild-type games in the US. Even before brought over from Europe they had a range of mutations that were fixed or nearly so making a given strain differentiated from other strains beyond simply style in the pit. The later introduction of the oriental blood I think is what really gave some US strains that mutant look that makes them more distinguishable from red jungle fowl.
Originally it was OEG and then we added Oriental blood. I have also read somewhere that American Games actually do have "recent" Red Jungle Fowl blood in them.

I think American Games look more like Jungle fowl than any other breed despite their Athletic build.

I recently read Darwin's "The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication" and he mentions Games as being the closest relative to the Red Jungle Fowl... but he also mentions experiments of crossbreeding different strains of domestic chickens, which produce offspring with signs of reverted traits (lack of mutation) that were found in the original Red Jungle Fowl. I think American Games look very close to Jungle Fowl because we have crossed them with so many differnt breeds of Gamefowl (and probably Jungle Fowl). American breeders werent looking for mutations (other than gameness and performance). This is why Black Breated Reds are the most common of all gamefowl... its a result of crossbreeding with no regard for color mutations.

Nowadays a lot american breeders are only breeding American Games and not crossing new blood, which would naturally produce mutations.

Originally it was OEG and then we added Oriental blood. I have also read somewhere that American Games actually do have "recent" Red Jungle Fowl blood in them.

I think American Games look more like Jungle fowl than any other breed despite their Athletic build.

I recently read Darwin's "The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication" and he mentions Games as being the closest relative to the Red Jungle Fowl... but he also mentions experiments of crossbreeding different strains of domestic chickens, which produce offspring with signs of reverted traits (lack of mutation) that were found in the original Red Jungle Fowl. I think American Games look very close to Jungle Fowl because we have crossed them with so many differnt breeds of Gamefowl (and probably Jungle Fowl). American breeders werent looking for mutations (other than gameness and performance).  This is why Black Breated Reds are the most common of all gamefowl... its a result of crossbreeding with no regard for color mutations.

Nowadays a lot american breeders are only breeding American Games and not crossing new blood, which would naturally produce mutations.

Some of the sameness between American Games can also represent simply a lack of change. During much of the time chickens leading to our current AG's have suffered similar selective pressures experienced by wild jungle fowl. They had to do usually raise their own offspring usually in situations where predator pressure still operated. Such birds had to keep at least some of the rapid response mentality of wild kin and the overall body conformation that supports running and flying ability. The pit also supported continued capacity for physical ability. Our other domestic breeds were selected for the ability to survive in tight confines which in part resulted in the soft feathering. The production breeds were also selected more products such as meat, eggs and feathers which makes them different from games selected for activity. I have a theory why oriental are so different from American Games but takes more wind.

Back
Top Bottom