Show Off Your Games!

Thanks eventhough we all have our own ways of raising beautiful fowl and we all know that " our " way is the right way we all end up with mighty fine specimens of proud and confident fowl.

The trouble is not with different ways of raising these birds: not at all.

The trouble is there are lots of folks that do not know how to breed them, but they hatch-away anyway.

The trouble is not with different ways of raising these birds: not at all.

The trouble is there are lots of folks that do not know how to breed them, but they hatch-away anyway.

That is very true. Selection doesnt seem to be important to many, and a good line can be turned into hatchery grade birds with one bad mating. In order to create a good family, line breeding is vital. So is culling.

I believe as long as you keep good brood fowl and watch for peddlers the quality will keep. For the most part people that are gonna just breed whatever aren't gonna be around long so neither are their birds. Even with animals like dogs and puppy mills people come and go but there will always be the ones dedicated that will preserve the standard.

Just for fun, I'm wondering what people think of this Madagascar hen. She's from a hatchery, so of course she's not amazing, but she turned out better than I had thought she would. Super tame, too.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best. It's been so nasty out that I haven't had a chance to get pictures that really show her off.

Just for fun, I'm wondering what people think of this Madagascar hen. She's from a hatchery, so of course she's not amazing, but she turned out better than I had thought she would. Super tame, too. Sorry the pictures aren't the best. It's been so nasty out that I haven't had a chance to get pictures that really show her off.
Quite an interesting looking bird. Are you sure she's a she? That second picture, the feathering looks rather manly. Can you get a better picture of the tail region? I think I see saddles. Either way, an pretty bird for sure. I'd never heard of the breed.

Forgive my ignorance but why does everyone down hatchery stock? I was thinking of getting some dark Cornish for meat and eggs and they were going to come from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom