Show Off Your Games!

To the ones that have farms that they do not live at. I have a new found respect for you. I'm having a new home built and my old mobile home Is being demolished so I have to stay with family about 30mins away and I sure do miss being able to just go outside to tend to birds now it's an hour ride total everyday after work and a couple houes there so yeah to the ones that house their birds other than where they live y'all got my respect
yeah I know what you mean. I have all my "best" chickens over at my dad's hosue still and only go over there like once a week to do regular maintenance like clean out the water dishes and excess poo. I get bummed out because my dad collects the eggs and eats up all my good genetics instead of hatching them.

Good to hear your moving and getting a new house tho. I just listed my house for sale yesterday and have some worries regarding my animals. I built my new aviary fairly large and I am worried that I will not be able to transport it. I need to measure to see if it will fit on my trailer. I also am worried about my crow,; I dont know if I should take him with us or leave him there. I am afraid that if I take him he will fly back to the old house or get lost trying to get back.. and if I leave him I will be so sad and I think he would be sad too.

Did you already have a rooster prior to him showing up? Here is my rooster that looks a lot like him.
No, we didn't even have our hen that is pictured with him. We had an empty back yard with just our mini poodle occasionally going to the bathroom out there. Your roo does look a lot like him. I don't know what my guy is, do you have a breed for yours? This guy was lucky, I had chickens when I was in high school and was more than happy to start back up again (to the shock of my dh) I built him a 100 sq ft coop and run and gave him a hen!

No, we didn't even have our hen that is pictured with him. We had an empty back yard with just our mini poodle occasionally going to the bathroom out there. Your roo does look a lot like him. I don't know what my guy is, do you have a breed for yours?
This guy was lucky, I had chickens when I was in high school and was more than happy to start back up again (to the shock of my dh) I built him a 100 sq ft coop and run and gave him a hen!
Cool. I've dropped a young rooster in a random back yard once. I was lucky enough to see that rooster being taken care of and doing well almost a year later.

My rooster is mix breed of several strains of American games and some spanish game. I would suspect yours is a mix breed American game as well. The closest "pure" breed that resembles these two roosters is a blue face hatch (in my opinion). Also he has many traits similar to the Red Jungle Fowl, which is the "first" chicken and wild ancestor of all domestic chickens...

Cool. I've dropped a young rooster in a random back yard once. I was lucky enough to see that rooster being taken care of and doing well almost a year later.

My rooster is mix breed of several strains of American games and some spanish game. I would suspect yours is a mix breed American game as well. The closest "pure" breed that resembles these two roosters is a blue face hatch (in my opinion).  Also he has many traits similar to the Red Jungle Fowl, which is the "first" chicken and wild ancestor of all domestic chickens...

Beautiful! He has been a pleasure to have and isn't as gamey as I would have thought. He only has one hen and doesn't overwork her and is a cuddler.

I just took this now. Here he is with his offspring.

Beautiful! He has been a pleasure to have and isn't as gamey as I would have thought. He only has one hen and doesn't overwork her and is a cuddler.
I just took this now. Here he is with his offspring.
Great photo, shows off his height and build well... interesting offspring, did you breed him to a silkie? Any plans for future breeding or getting more gamefowl?

Great photo, shows off his height and build well... interesting offspring, did you breed him to a silkie? Any plans for future breeding or getting more gamefowl?

I wasn't planning on breeding them. I purchased her as a companion for him. She went missing one day when they were free grazing in the yard and I was sure that a hawk had gotten her. I found her the next day by crawling on my elbows under a huge Ivy ground cover that we have. She laid a clutch of 11 and I decided to let her keep them since she worked so hard.

I would love to breed him with an game hen. I am hoping to create my own flock of broody and gamey hens. I love how much the Silkie lays for me and what a good mother she was, and I love my roosters personality.

yeah I know what you mean. I have all my "best" chickens over at my dad's hosue still and only go over there like once a week to do regular maintenance like clean out the water dishes and excess poo. I get bummed out because my dad collects the eggs and eats up all my good genetics instead of hatching them.

Good to hear your moving and getting a new house tho.  I just listed my house for sale yesterday and have some worries regarding my animals. I built my new aviary fairly large and I am worried that I will not be able to transport it. I need to measure to see if it will fit on my trailer. I also am worried about my crow,; I dont know if I should take him with us or leave him there. I am afraid that if I take him he will fly back to the old house or get lost trying to get back.. and if I leave him I will be so sad and I think he would be sad too.
Thanks at least it's on the same property so no moving of birds. They demolished today neighbors said their was a crowd watching including the mailman as far as your crow I'd take him you never know he may stay or if not at least he had a chance

Back
Top Bottom