Show Off Your Games!

Purdy!

20190902_120505.jpg
20190902_120430.jpg
20190902_124300.jpg

I have a student that will be charged with following free-range chickens around a roughly 3 acre yard for a total of four days. She is to record where the birds spend their time as a function of plant community present. As a side component, she is also to record behaviors. I have a couple ethograms developed for Red Jungle Fowl that we are using as a reference. A problem is I see a behavior pretty frequently that does not appear on any ethogram for Red Jungle. It is with young birds when they get into deep grass or heavy vegetation where they start talking a lot. Anyone seen chicks or juveniles get all talkative like that?

As a kid I used very carefully follow coveys of wild Bobwhite Quail and they did the same thing. You had to be within 30 feet to hear the quail do it. I can here the games do it from about twice as far away.

I've heard the littles talking in the brush. I was thinking alarm, but was not the usual alarm calls, less urgent and high pitched, more talkative. I checked on them and they ceased when I came near, but everything was well. I heard what I thought was one of the pullets trilling from her roost in the trees the other night, quite loudly, and thought she might be warning of something. It was about 1:30 am. I checked around and could find nothing amiss so I went to bed. Everyone was fine in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom