Show Off Your Games!

Some of you folks breeding games and games x Red Jungle fowl might be seeing what I can get to happen regularly, namely broody roosters. See link I have on it from a few years back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster.882368/

I am going to do an experiment this breeding season to see how far they will go with it.

Any of you seen roosters really get involved rearing chicks / juveniles or otherwise helping broody hen out?

View attachment 1999405 View attachment 1999406

That's Raptor.

View attachment 1999407

Winter on the Florida peninsula is a normal time to get hatches. This hatch came Christmas Day.
I can get some older pullets produce broods then assuming eggs do not freeze before pullet goes broody. We used to see it a lot in a barn where we fed steers on grain. The manure composing produced enough heat to keep areas under major above freezing even before pullets went broody.

Most I’ve seen so far has been Hei Hei the free ranger break up fights between the mother hen I posted above and the other hens. She’ll trash any hen that looks at her bitties wrong. After it goes on a bit, Hei Hei will get between them and separate them. He’s oddly gentle when he does it. He looks about as close as a bird can to a human getting between two guys fighting in a bar and asking them nicely to break it up and gently pushing them apart.

I can get some older pullets produce broods then assuming eggs do not freeze before pullet goes broody. We used to see it a lot in a barn where we fed steers on grain. The manure composing produced enough heat to keep areas under major above freezing even before pullets went broody.

I’m in one of the colder parts of Florida, and even here we only get a couple weeks worth of freezes a year and of those only a handful last more than a couple of hours before daylight. Once in a while we’ll get dips into the low 20s. Our hens are ok so long as the nests are insulated from the ground and has a wind break. We often make coops open on 3 sides with only a wall on the north end to block the north winter wind. The coop I have Raptor in has a roost that is open on all 4 sides. On cold north wind nights I’ll hang a tarp for them but most of the time they’re fine with nothing. It was 80 degrees here today. Tonight is warm enough for shorts outside.

20200112_155131.jpg
20200112_155128.jpg
20200112_155109.jpg

Back
Top Bottom