Show Off Your Games!

Hey guys, I hope everyone is well. I have been in quarantine for ever it seems (started 3/4 for me and most of that super ill)... I am rebuilding my muscles and endurance... any way it’s been crazy in my area with the whole county and the cities going into shelter in place. My niece and nephew are being educated by us as the schools are closed and the district was unprepared for kids to be at home, this means us tracking down materials and ordering them, luckily we had a few things educational wise in storage we dug out to get the kids going. I do need to find some good kid friendly chicken educational materials, fun and serious resources. Eggs are sold out at stores (glad we have one laying hen left, I have been saving up a few eggs and then I can cook with them, I also have egg substitute in my dry goods for cooking without eggs). As we were down to just one hen hubby decided new chicks would be good, well all the city folk are in full panic mode and buying any chick. The feedstores are selling out of all breeds within 20 minutes of putting them out! This sort of sell out never happens in my area, usually you have a choice and can choose from straight run, and pullets but not now. My family was able to get a mix of breeds to rebuild the general flock no choice on breeds though it was what they had left, so first bantams ever came home along with Standards we have never raised before... so hubby also decided ordering chicks might be a good idea and much to my surprise hubby let me get a few Bantam Pheonix and he ordered Sultans and Mille Fluer D’uccles along with a few more Easter Eggers. Hubby bought an incubator to, nothing fancy and he doesn’t care what we incubate... so after that arrives I will need hatching eggs... it’s for the kids educations 😉 wink wink. Anyway we are doing okay, working on putting garden in order... but I still fatigue easy, and muscles still stiff and weak but at least I can breathe now. Stay well folks and happy social isolation.

Hey guys, I hope everyone is well. I have been in quarantine for ever it seems (started 3/4 for me and most of that super ill)... I am rebuilding my muscles and endurance... any way it’s been crazy in my area with the whole county and the cities going into shelter in place. My niece and nephew are being educated by us as the schools are closed and the district was unprepared for kids to be at home, this means us tracking down materials and ordering them, luckily we had a few things educational wise in storage we dug out to get the kids going. I do need to find some good kid friendly chicken educational materials, fun and serious resources. Eggs are sold out at stores (glad we have one laying hen left, I have been saving up a few eggs and then I can cook with them, I also have egg substitute in my dry goods for cooking without eggs). As we were down to just one hen hubby decided new chicks would be good, well all the city folk are in full panic mode and buying any chick. The feedstores are selling out of all breeds within 20 minutes of putting them out! This sort of sell out never happens in my area, usually you have a choice and can choose from straight run, and pullets but not now. My family was able to get a mix of breeds to rebuild the general flock no choice on breeds though it was what they had left, so first bantams ever came home along with Standards we have never raised before... so hubby also decided ordering chicks might be a good idea and much to my surprise hubby let me get a few Bantam Pheonix and he ordered Sultans and Mille Fluer D’uccles along with a few more Easter Eggers. Hubby bought an incubator to, nothing fancy and he doesn’t care what we incubate... so after that arrives I will need hatching eggs... it’s for the kids educations 😉 wink wink. Anyway we are doing okay, working on putting garden in order... but I still fatigue easy, and muscles still stiff and weak but at least I can breathe now. Stay well folks and happy social isolation.
We are running American Dominique eggs through incubator. Son and I candled them a couple hours ago. Some game eggs will be loaded tonight. Three games are broody at work. We will be eating most of what they hatch. We are hatching and rearing mostly to keep us in meat this year. I remember our games being used a lot as food when a kid back in the early 1970's.

We are running American Dominique eggs through incubator. Son and I candled them a couple hours ago. Some game eggs will be loaded tonight. Three games are broody at work. We will be eating most of what they hatch. We are hatching and rearing mostly to keep us in meat this year. I remember our games being used a lot as food when a kid back in the early 1970's.
Awesome... well we are in full blown exponential chicken math here, a bunch of chicks in the house, more arriving in May and now hubby cool with the idea of hatching eggs, so yes we will need to cull and freeze fir food.

20200119_172830.jpg

Back
Top Bottom