SHOW OFF YOUR GEESE AND DUCKS!!!!!

Thank you! I'm excited to show him off so here are some more pictures. He's about 4 and a half months old and I only say he because we're not sure of the gender yet. He's getting a goose friend and some ducks once we're able but for now he spends time with the chickens and turkeys and his human parents.
Off topic but does anyone have recommendations for goose treats? I've tried apples and lettuce and sunflower seeds but he seems very cautious about any new foods I offer him and they usually get snatched up by the other birds before he takes any. Even when I get him alone he doesn't eat out of my hand and doesn't seem very enthusiastic about any of the treats I've offered him.
IMG_0556.jpg

20170719_200036.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Here are my ducks and goose and the Guineas that follow them. my goose is named Sentry because Sentry calls when there is trouble (i.e. cats, dogs, hawks, etc.) and is a spoiled goose when i am giving everyone else attention Sentry starts to call/complain until i give Sentry the attention he/she wants then all is quiet. I am not sure what type of goose yet but i am pretty sure it is brown chinese.
But as for the ducks it is Squeaky the fawn runner drake (he passed away 3 months ago), and his girlfriend Brownie a female Rouen at four years old, and then there is the Guineas there is Kiddy the female Guinea that is behind the goose Sentry and then there is the other 5 male guineas Buddy, Scrappy, Big Boss, Ram, and Whistle. Big Boss and Whistle are 20+ years old the other 3 males are 4 years old and Kiddy the female is 8 months old and was laying eggs just a month ago but has stopped after 4 eggs, the eggs were eaten by a snake though (sigh mabe next year) Whistle is Kiddys Boyfriend currently.
Follow kiddy.jpg
Kiddy and Buddy.jpg
Squeaky and Brownie.jpg
Follow kiddy.jpg

Thank you! I'm excited to show him off so here are some more pictures. He's about 4 and a half months old and I only say he because we're not sure of the gender yet. He's getting a goose friend and some ducks once we're able but for now he spends time with the chickens and turkeys and his human parents.
Off topic but does anyone have recommendations for goose treats? I've tried apples and lettuce and sunflower seeds but he seems very cautious about any new foods I offer him and they usually get snatched up by the other birds before he takes any. Even when I get him alone he doesn't eat out of my hand and doesn't seem very enthusiastic about any of the treats I've offered him.
View attachment 1141337
View attachment 1141338
View attachment 1141339

Besides the feed they eat my gander likes dry dog food and whole corn as a snack. Not much of it though, but he doesn't care for the dried mealworms the others eat even my female goose loves the mealworms.
Geese seem pretty happy just grazing if they have plenty of soft grasses.

View attachment 1141337
View attachment 1141338
View attachment 1141339
Adorable!

My goose laid her first egg today!! It's the first goose I've ever owned and we didn't vent sex so we were just waiting until it lays. Turns out we've got a girl! I'm too excited, I really wanted to try goose eggs. The first egg was very small, not much bigger than a chicken egg (Though I know it's not a chicken egg as our chickens only lay brown eggs) and I thought they normally don't lay until the following spring?
Is this unusual? We got the goose in early May. I was a little concerned it could be a turkey egg since they haven't started laying yet, but there was a very distinct nest made where the egg was laid and my SO says she saw the goose hanging out away from the flock near the nest this morning which is unusual for our goose.

Back
Top Bottom