Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    I never really thought about ducks vs geese. Trina my goosey was more fussy about wearing her diaper than ChaCha, but ChaCha is WAY more fussy about having a DIRTY diaper. I think it's really personality more than duck vs goose. My ducklings have never minded wearing diapers once they figured out how to walk in them lol. There's usually a lot of falling over and rolling around LOL

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh god, tell me about it! Poor Wobbles took about a week to adjust and it was heartbreaking to see him topple over like a three-legged chair!

3. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Aww silly little Wobs!
    Not gonna lie... that was my fav part. Watching them stumble around like drunken fuzz balls

4. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    My conure would just lay there in hers. She wouldn't move, and just looked pathetic!! My ducks could walk, the older ones were just bitter, and the babies cried like they were dying. I was expecting a full on revolt when I put the diaper on Febreeze. I made it for the ducklings, which are narrower, so he had plenty of leg room. You would never know he had one on. Not a peep, no complaining, no biting, no awkward walking. Perhaps it's the whole mutant indestructible goose thing he has going on. Tide is still working on yolk sac, so he won't get his until later today... Perhaps he will not be as obliging...

5. Riaaa

Riaaa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    I have a house duck called Dappy. Do any gf you take your ducks out for the day f so how and where do you take them? X

6. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I used to take my goose to the park and Petsmart.

7. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    We may be taking Misty to the river today! I put her in a backpack with her head poking out on the walk there and have her in her walking harness when she's out. We go to the beach, rivers, camping... all over the place! She loves it and it's really fun camping and swimming with her. A walking harness and leash are necessary for some places.

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Today has been , just...such an ordeal. Ugh. We took the baby to the vet just for a basic checkup, nothing fancy, and they said they saw some sickle-shaped bacteria in her fecal pap, which could be nothing or it could be a very very nasty bug. So they gave her an injection of antibiotics, aaaaaaand she had a REALLY bad reaction to it. Poor little girl kept vomiting, shaking and her poop was nothing but white foam!

Long story short, hubby sped home from work, we took her back in, they gave her an antihistamine and an anti-nausea agent and kept her for observation all day. She's stable and back home with us now, we're keeping a close eye on her. They gave her a liquid meal so she should be okay until the sedation from the antihistamine wears off and feels like eating again.

I feel just terrible...I've never seen a duck react badly to trimeth-sulfa, and neither had my vet! I'm just so glad that she's stable and recovering. Just a very, very bad reminder of how you never know what your pet could be allergic to. ._.

9. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Oh man! That had to be incredibly stressful. I'm glad she's doing better!

Scary stuff. [​IMG]

10. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I would have been a mess! I'm so glad she is doing better!!! (I've never seen a reaction to Bactrim in people either, although arguably usually when I saw them if they had a sulfa allergy it was already documented!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by