Show off your house ducks!

Today has been , just...such an ordeal. Ugh. We took the baby to the vet just for a basic checkup, nothing fancy, and they said they saw some sickle-shaped bacteria in her fecal pap, which could be nothing or it could be a very very nasty bug. So they gave her an injection of antibiotics, aaaaaaand she had a REALLY bad reaction to it. Poor little girl kept vomiting, shaking and her poop was nothing but white foam!

Long story short, hubby sped home from work, we took her back in, they gave her an antihistamine and an anti-nausea agent and kept her for observation all day. She's stable and back home with us now, we're keeping a close eye on her. They gave her a liquid meal so she should be okay until the sedation from the antihistamine wears off and feels like eating again.

I feel just terrible...I've never seen a duck react badly to trimeth-sulfa, and neither had my vet! I'm just so glad that she's stable and recovering. Just a very, very bad reminder of how you never know what your pet could be allergic to. ._.

Today has been , just...such an ordeal. Ugh. We took the baby to the vet just for a basic checkup, nothing fancy, and they said they saw some sickle-shaped bacteria in her fecal pap, which could be nothing or it could be a very very nasty bug. So they gave her an injection of antibiotics, aaaaaaand she had a REALLY bad reaction to it. Poor little girl kept vomiting, shaking and her poop was nothing but white foam!

Long story short, hubby sped home from work, we took her back in, they gave her an antihistamine and an anti-nausea agent and kept her for observation all day. She's stable and back home with us now, we're keeping a close eye on her. They gave her a liquid meal so she should be okay until the sedation from the antihistamine wears off and feels like eating again.

I feel just terrible...I've never seen a duck react badly to trimeth-sulfa, and neither had my vet! I'm just so glad that she's stable and recovering. Just a very, very bad reminder of how you never know what your pet could be allergic to. ._.
oh no, I am so sorry about little sweetie's ordeal. I've been busy so haven't been on here. I am glad to hear she's stable. Keep us posted. I need to catch up on here that I don't post responses that aren't current.

We may be taking Misty to the river today! I put her in a backpack with her head poking out on the walk there and have her in her walking harness when she's out. We go to the beach, rivers, camping... all over the place! She loves it and it's really fun camping and swimming with her. A walking harness and leash are necessary for some places.

I would have been a mess!  I'm so glad she is doing better!!! (I've never seen a reaction to Bactrim in people either, although arguably usually when I saw them if they had a sulfa allergy it was already documented!)

My oldest is allergic to EVERYTHING and the very first thing we found was Bactrim. They gave it to him for an ear infection when he was under a year old & he broke out in hives at the first does.

My oldest is allergic to EVERYTHING and the very first thing we found was Bactrim. They gave it to him for an ear infection when he was under a year old & he broke out in hives at the first does.

Oh the poor little guy! To be sick and then have a reaction too! It's no fun for cute little kids or cute little ducks!! That's when people usually find out though, because bactrim is so commonly perscribed in the pediatric population. (That and erythromycin!)

Oh the poor little guy! To be sick and then have a reaction too! It's no fun for cute little kids or cute little ducks!! That's when people usually find out though, because bactrim is so commonly perscribed in the pediatric population. (That and erythromycin!)

He's 20 now, so that was many years ago. He was always covered in hives from something when younger...new sheets did it once, grass on several occasions, unknown causes more than once...but he's NOT allergic to poison ivy or oak. I am, & half the kids are...so he used to go around pulling the vines out of our yard for me & filling our dumpster with them. Our trash man hated us...lol

He's 20 now, so that was many years ago. He was always covered in hives from something when younger...new sheets did it once, grass on several occasions, unknown causes more than once...but he's NOT allergic to poison ivy or oak. I am, & half the kids are...so he used to go around pulling the vines out of our yard for me & filling our dumpster with them. Our trash man hated us...lol
Is he allergic to food? There once was a feinting goat down the road that was allergic to grass! He had to wear a mask that prohibited him from eating it while in the field....

He's 20 now, so that was many years ago. He was always covered in hives from something when younger...new sheets did it once, grass on several occasions, unknown causes more than once...but he's NOT allergic to poison ivy or oak. I am,

Is he allergic to food? There once was a feinting goat down the road that was allergic to grass! He had to wear a mask that prohibited him from eating it while in the field.... 

Yep, milk, cauliflower, cabbage, peas, soy, and several others. He can drink raw cow's milk but not pasteurized, can eat pudding, yogurt & cheese...but not milk from the store. My kid is wierd...lol

Dappy hates walking on her leach she litArly refuses to walk haha I'm getting her a pet stroller so I can tKe her to rivers

Back
Top Bottom