Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Luckyducky88

Luckyducky88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG] here's my other 2 babies. I don't know their bred. But I know they're at least 4 weeks old

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Look like pekins (Aflac duck) to me. Looks like the chest is feathered & wings are starting to, so probably right around 4 weeks.

3. Luckyducky88

Luckyducky88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    Thank you. :)

4. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Nice babies!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I met a house duck named George on my way into the emergency clinic the other day. He was a Pekin, too. They're such hams. I love 'em cuz they always seem to find a way to lift your spirits!

6. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Pekins are cuddle bugs! I have about 18 in the incubator now from my top girls from last year, plus another 4 mystery ducks, plus pheasants... I can't spoil this batch, (most were sold before my gals even started laying for the season) and it hurts my soul!

Still have to decide who gets to stay inside permanently. I have to pick one, and I love them all. Mama Saxony left me for Gunther - she was out on a walk with me and her kids and she stopped at the fence and just called until I let her into the back - she took off and appeared seconds later with Gunther. I didn't hear him out there, and he was not in our line of sight, but she knew just where he was. No one has bothered her since the geese attacked her, and she has been happily moulting all her feathers in the company of her equally moulty man... I had her with me for months, and I miss her and her sass now. She always has a special commentary for me when she walks by now though, not at all sassy, more of a friendly greeting. She knows she can come back in whenever she wants. I have her five lovely teenaged daughters and her one son, who now have a pen to cut down on my cleaning. This is going to be an extremely hard choice, since I really can only handle one. I love them all, but I have to start hatching for the business, which means tons of babies over the next few months, and very limited inside space....

7. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Mama Saxony sounds like a riot. I bet she keeps ol' Gunthie on his toes! No matter what choice you make, I'm sure it'll be the right one. <3

8. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    He just follows her around and does what she says. (Definitely a catch no matter what your species!) He never bothers with any of the other ladies, and she is so big she stomps any drakes that get too close. I still will never forget the time she got a hold of one of my Khaki Campbell boys when he tried to put the moves on her. She grabbed him by the neck and whipped him around like a rag doll.... They really are an adorable couple. I feel bad that I have to retire her from breeding. Her fertility rate is terrible though, and I would hate for her to spend a month brooding and not have a duckling to show for her efforts. She will be a great producer of show quality egg sandwiches. She gave me a ton of really nice daughters, so perhaps when she goes broody next year I will have her set some of her grandchildren instead...

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    That's too funny! I guess you could say he's...hen-pecked. (I'll just show myself out.)

10. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    [​IMG] That's just plain wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by