Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    [​IMG]
    A certain group of teenagers discovered the joys of stinky NY mud this morning.....

2. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    [​IMG]Love it!

3. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Good for them. They are so cute and adventurous and RAD. Mud washes off.

4. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    It looks like they self selected for who is staying in. One little hen just refused to keep off the fence, despite Narcissus physically removing her from it several times. He's fair, but sets firm rules, and heading out of the range of his protection is not an option. Like any teen, she ignored his warnings, and he finally lost his temper and went after her full bore. Her sister, who had been tagging along, realized she should probably behave herself, and went to sit in the sun with her brothers and sisters. I took MissBehavin into the house, and after much cuddling let her go rest. She's napping under the kitchen table now. I'll give her a bath later, make sure she didn't suffer anything other than a disciplinary plucking.
    There is one in every crowd. If I put her with the smaller birds, she's a bully. If I put her out, she doesn't follow the rules, so she seems to be the most logical choice to keep out of the general population....

5. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    How cute!!! ChaCha refuses to walk on a leash. I use it mostly for her safety in case something frightens her I don't want her to run off into traffic or something horrible. ChaCha rides in a bike basket so we can go traipsing about lol.
    We need pictures of Dappy in her stroller!!!

Ducks all look a little drunk. Our maybe it's just my ducks? ChaCha trips over her own feet! Sometimes she just tips over a little lol. She's our "special" duck LOL

MuD! Yes! The very best! We don't get real mud but my ducks sure make the best of every muddy-ish chance they get! Super cute duckies! What breed are they?

6. cute chickens

cute chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I've new to ducks and have a little 3 week old muscovy, that we adore. I'd love her to be an "indoor duck" going outside with us when we go outside, but I'm scared of the mess - how can 1 little thing make so much poop!!! How has everyone else dealt with the mess?

7. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY

Those are Saxony teens! The drakes will get chocolate brown chests and silver heads as they mature. A certain someone matching their description and reeking of spring mud pond water just terrorized the cats, stole their food, and is now fast asleep and snoring on top of me on the bed...
    ...and here comes a cat... By all means everyone, just pile on! I don't need to move, or feel my extremities....

8. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    The poop is truly epic! Most people use diapers during the day, and have an area where the duck can sleep at night without them. I had a pair inside for the winter that were mature when I got them and never diaper trained. We tried, and were beaten and bruised to the point where I just let them live in the bathroom where I could bleach and mop the floor. It was a constant chore though... And a lot of work. Since your baby is young, diapers would be the way to go. If they start with them young, the protests are minimal to non existent.
    Since I imprint whole clutches at a time, I use drop cloths for multiple birds because I can just swap them out for washing daily. That just involves a ton of laundry, but it is basically the equivalent of cloth diapers for the group.

I just selected my permanent resident from my saxony clutch, and since she had a week in a big pen to grow with her siblings where she didn't need to be diapered, she is now in a size diaper that I don't have sewn (I have baby sizes and adult made). She's sleeping in bed with me on her drop cloth tonight, and will get a bath and diaper fitting in the morning.

House ducks are wonderful, and once you get a system down the poop is actually quite manageable, and totally worth it for all the cuddles and kisses!

9. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    ChaCha is such the boss of everything. And she knows it. Riding in a bike basket would send me into orbit if I saw that. Her cute puff on her head and her looking around.

10. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    MissBehavin is now showered and clean like a proper house duck. It gave me a chance to give her a good once over as well. She decided that proper house ducks do not take tub baths, they take showers. Like any teen, she spent a lot of time in her shower...
    Fitted her diapers, and promptly lost an entire package of Velcro. Since she has some back bruising, I decided not to use nylon webbing for the adjustable strap, and of course am now stuck until I locate the errant Velcro... So close, and yet so far away!!
    And oh that hen voice carries. Her mother is very quiet. She is a talker...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by