Show off your house ducks!

Hi! I'm a fairly new duck owner. We've had our ducks for about a month now. (I think they're maybe 6 or 7 weeks old now.) =] I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me with a few questions. How did you guys get your ducks used to their diapers? We bought the Grow-With-Me diapers from Nettie. However, it's not seeming to fit on them properly. (I'm guessing they're too big for them and I just ordered them too late. I wish I could return them and exchange them for the adult ones. ='[ ) Any way, were there any tricks that you guys used to get your ducks used the diapers?

Hi! I'm a fairly new duck owner. We've had our ducks for about a month now. (I think they're maybe 6 or 7 weeks old now.) =] I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me with a few questions. How did you guys get your ducks used to their diapers? We bought the Grow-With-Me diapers from Nettie. However, it's not seeming to fit on them properly. (I'm guessing they're too big for them and I just ordered them too late. I wish I could return them and exchange them for the adult ones. ='[ ) Any way, were there any tricks that you guys used to get your ducks used the diapers?

Welcome to world of house ducks! You'll love it here =)
The best way to diaper is to start as soon as they can walk, but I know that's not always possible. The next best way if m is to start with a duck who is imprinted on humans - even better if they are imprinted on YOU specifically. Imprinted ducks will generally take to diapering eventually. They love you and will let you do things to them like man handle them and strap stuff onto them lol. The only time you absolutely DON'T want to diaper a duck is if they are afraid of you. All you'll do is traumatize them, and then they REALLY won't like being diapered. Even outside ducks who aren't imprinted cab be diapered if they trust you =) Some ducks throw fits. In this case it's a good idea to ease into it. Put the diaper on, give a treat, let them breathe, give a treat, take it off, give a treat. Then leave them alone. The whole activity can take less than 5 minutes. Don't over handle them after they've gone through it, you don't want them to associate being handled with doing things they don't like. Give lots of praise =) you can move up to diapering them for an hour or so each day, paying them lots of attention ave giving treats and praise while they wear it. Sometimes all a duck wants to do is sit and pout. That's ok! A long as they aren't having a heart attack or flailing (don't want them to hurt themself). Eventually they will figure out that they CAN walk, and if they walk around and behave normally they will get a treat! A lot of ducks don't take any work at all, or just throw that initial fit and then get over it. But any human trusting duck can be diapered with patience and care.

My baby diapers are completely different from Netties so I can't help you there, but there might be somebody on here who's ordered those from her and can help you figure out how to fit them to your duckies.

I am still giggling from Bean's blooper! She looked so surprised!!!!

MissBehavin spent yesterday with my mother, since we had cats to take to the vet, errands to run, eggs to deliver, etc... An 85 year old with dementia and a teenaged duck can do a lot in one day. I'm pretty sure I can't leave either of them alone anymore...

Today's project will be to begin construction of incubator #3. I found an amazing glass front wine chiller!! I don't know how the little miss is going to do with me using power tools, but last night she was pretty excited to "help"...

...right after this picture she stole my dinner off of my fork and then complained because it was past her bedtime and she felt it was time for her pillow to go to bed... All incubator manufacture stopped at that time....

MissBehavin spent yesterday with my mother, since we had cats to take to the vet, errands to run, eggs to deliver, etc... An 85 year old with dementia and a teenaged duck can do a lot in one day. I'm pretty sure I can't leave either of them alone anymore...

Today's project will be to begin construction of incubator #3. I found an amazing glass front wine chiller!! I don't know how the little miss is going to do with me using power tools, but last night she was pretty excited to "help"...

...right after this picture she stole my dinner off of my fork and then complained because it was past her bedtime and she felt it was time for her pillow to go to bed... All incubator manufacture stopped at that time....

I can see why you couldn't possibly resist that face.

I love this duck. Missbehavin is an awesome name. Glad she stole dinner off your fork!!

LOL! Aww, I love that little face! Does she do the same "victory quack" after stealing food that Wobbles does?

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, by the way. :/ You gonna be ok?

Back
Top Bottom