1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Oh my gosh she is SO CUTE! I see the mischief in her eyes, she must be a blast!

2. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    The food stealing continues... My daughter got me a doughnut for driving her to college - I warned her that Missy would grab some, and to get an extra. She sat down in the car, and took out her doughnut while missy watched from her box. As soon as she saw Briana put it to her mouth, she lunged forward and grabbed it before my poor kid even knew what hit her.
    I couldn't stop laughing...
    My husband, of course, is totally in love with her, so if she's not being spoiled by me, she is by him. (And he spoils her rotten!!!) He doesn't give her a chance to take stuff - he just gives it too her as soon as she looks his way...
    Mom's birthday cake will be chocolate, so she won't be able to get any of that. I am going to have to make her something healthy to eat so she doesn't feel left out!
    She doesn't have Wobble's glorious victory quack - she silently stalks her prey (ie whatever you are eating), and is in and out like a feathery ninja....

3. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana

I have found ducks to be remarkably tolerant of sound. When I am operating a cutoff saw, they are interested. When I hammer nails, they are interested. When I mow the lawn with the lawn tractor (yes very, very carefully) they stay away about 15-20 ft but follow me for the bugs I stir up. When I fire a small caliber hand gun, they are interested. When I fluff up an old blanket in the yard, they are scared silly, but once it is down, they are interested. I think the power tools will be fine... Ducks are definitely better with sound than cats.:D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    [​IMG]

5. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    She completely ignored all the power tools. She ignored the sparks flying from the cut off wheel, she ignored the drill, she ignored the circular saw. She ignored the sound of me "gently persuading" the shelf for my humidity tray into place with a mallet.
    She was quick to try to taste all the equipment of course, so I had to constantly clean my work area lest she decide to sample the little bits of plastic, and I kept her out completely when I was cutting insulation board.
    What really surprised me was that the ferret got out this morning, and came in to the incubation room with Missy and I. He would represent a pretty deadly predator in the wild. She didn't even feel that he warranted the open mouth threat that the cats get. She just moved over about 6 inches when he went to sniff her, and shot him the waterfowl stank eye. He does consider birds prey items, and like the cats, know when the egg runs are close to hatching (at which time he will try to get into the incubators) but he had never encountered one that huge or completely unconcerned.
    Another sign that I totally picked the right bird out of the clutch for the permanent house resident. Her threat assessment skills are basically non existent (as highlighted by her repeatedly ignoring the largest, most dominant, and most dangerous bird in the flock until he lost his temper with her)....
    I do have an off schedule duckling due to hatch today (a fertility test that I couldn't bring myself to terminate), so I will see how she does with a much smaller duckling that will take up some of my attention. In a couple of weeks there will be a ton of babies hatching, and a lot more geese to imprint, so I'm hoping she will be OK with sharing what is now her bed with the babies during the imprinting period when they stay with me 24/7....

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Better be prepared to separate her. Didn't you say she was bullying other babies in the brooder already? Doesn't bode well for new babies.

7. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    That is what I'm concerned about - she and her siblings were fascinated with babies, but also would chase them. Young ducks can be quite the bullies!!

8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Yep, definitely make her a separate area then. She's likely to kill hatchlings.

9. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Previously Julie Bird Premium Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Spain and Ecuador
    She is so cute for doing that. I love Missy's naughtiness with food stealing. My friend's Welsh Harlequin Montgomery is a food stealer too. One time his young son was eating a popsicle and Mont snuck up and grabbed a bite of it the the boy ran crying in the house about it. Another time John and his family were sitting on their deck floor eating dinner and Mont came up from behind John, craned her neck under his arm and stole a ravioli. He did not even know it until he heard her bill clink on the plate. Gotta love ducks….

10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It's true! I vacuumed the house the other day and neither he nor the baby even flinched. But fluffing and folding a blanket? DANGER! PANIC PANIC PANIC! I do feel kinda bad though, whenever we go for walks and an airplane goes overhead Wobbles crouches down in fear. Poor thing thinks it's a hawk or something :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by