Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I made her custom diapers today. She will get them at bedtime, since she was so good about having them pulled on and off. I think by the fourth time or so she was really not feeling the process, and was giving me the waterfowl stank eye. She hasn't been diapered since she was considerably smaller, as she and her siblings had a big pen to go commando in once they got into the messy preteen stage...
    Plus I am cleaning the family/incubation room, and we all know how horrifyingly terrifying a completely silent Swiffer mop is...... I think her head would explode if she had to deal with the evil mop (that she has literally seen every day since the day she hatched) and a final diaper fitting...

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    LOL! Oh man, I adore hearing stories about lil' Missy. She is such a ham! I haven't used the swiffer in the presence of the Feathered Ones but I imagine it won't receive a warm welcome from them, either. Isn't it funny how ducks react to new stimuli? No matter how small or non-threatening, if they've never seen it before, it's horrible!

I'm still wondering how I'm gonna introduce Bean to diapers. She's still far too tiny to even consider it, but I don't have the tiny starter ones I used with Wobbles. They were those awful cut-out ones from Goosemother, but even so, it gave him some sense of wearing one from a very early age. I fear even Kukupecpec's baby diapeys would be too bulky for Bean to wear.

3. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Even my heavy breed babies were hard to fit at that age! Plus, the soft fleece that I have been using would be simply too heavy for a behind that tiny! Have you considered using baby socks (with holes cut for the legs) I've seen people use socks as diapers for baby waterfowl. It looks adorably hilarious, but may at least give her the sensation of wearing one. I'm going to have to think about a sock based alternative for the teeny tiny khaki campbell I just hatched out. It's small even for a khaki. I have nothing that will fit!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Oh lordy, I remember seeing photos of that. I'm gonna head out this weekend and buy a whole buncha baby booties!

5. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    [​IMG]
    Off schedule khaki is very noisy and very active. Only after hatching was is even vaguely quiet...
    [​IMG]
    Missy could not care less....

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Awww. <3 Seriously, why aren't house ducks more popular?

7. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I
    I think people just assume they don't have personalities. Missy is certainly giving any of the parrots I have owned a run for their money. She can't talk like them, but is equally expressive and twice as cuddly...
    I think they make awesome pets! Look at Wobbles! How can you top him?!? He's just a little feathered ball of awesome! Who would not want a house duck after seeing him?!

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Missy gives Wobbles a run for his money in the personality department! I think the only difference between the two is that Wobbles is just a straight-up weirdo. I've never seen any bird do half the strange things he does (such as his hilarious poop dance). I'd say Wobs and Missy are equally stubborn and mischievous though, LOL!

Sadly I was one of those who thought ducks didn't have much personality. I grew up raising chickens, and even though they definitely have unique characteristics, they're just not the brightest bunch and nowhere near as charismatic. Thankfully, I've since seen the light. If not for all the poop, they'd be the perfect pet!

You're absolutely right on the affection aspect, too. I've never owned parrots, but lots of friends have. They can be absolute sweethearts, and there's no denying that most parrots are as smart as a human child, but ducks just have this simple affection that's tough to beat. <3 Plus they're endearingly derpy. Who needs television when you have a duck?

1 person likes this.
  9. LadyHawkeAvry

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    I was all chickens for years as well. It was my daughter that decided to get ducks. I had been just hatching quail and pheasant prior to that time. We hatched out the most wonderful cuddly pekins ever... So I got more pekins.... Then I got Missy's parents... Then Muscovies.... Then Toulouse geese, then Embden X geese, then the khaki Campbells... They are like feathered crack! My chickens are adorable, but they don't hold a candle to the ducks!
    "Why on earth didn't we get ducks sooner?" My daughter asked me one day. We always had chickens and turkeys when she was small. "I don't know! I wish we had!" was my response.
    So now I'm relaxing to the hum of three incubators, Missy is asleep next to me, I'm covered in duckling down, and have a fluffy newly hatched duckling asleep in my lap (they announced very loudly that they were not having the whole sit in the toasty brooder thing....) I wouldn't have it any other way!

10. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Missy is awesome. She don't care 'bout nothing. She a lady relaxer duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by