Show off your house ducks!

Missy adopted the khaki kids as her own, and sneaks onto the Muscovy nest when Twin 1 is away and practices sitting on eggs.... She wanted Shorty for her own as well, but Shorty is 100% convinced that she is a goose...

Shorty hangs with the big girls...

...and the little ones...

I think Missy has found her niche as the den mother for the babies too small to go outside. I can leave the door open to the yard during the day, and she keeps them all inside and attended to. She won't leave the inner sanctum pen now because of the babies and nests. So despite being a house duck, she has found a job to do that she loves. She's not stuck talking to her siblings through the screen door in the kitchen, and being in an indoor pen keeps her from raiding the cat food instead of eating a healthy, lower protein diet! I really miss her sleeping on my head though.... I'll try to get some shots of her playing house in the nest box....
That is amazing!!! Of course the photos of your birds are too much in the cuteness department but the behaviors and actions are so amazing. Where did Missy get such an awesome personality? Cute that Shorty thinks she's a goose. Neat to see her size compared to theirs.

That is amazing!!! Of course the photos of your birds are too much in the cuteness department but the behaviors and actions are so amazing. Where did Missy get such an awesome personality? Cute that Shorty thinks she's a goose. Neat to see her size compared to theirs.

I think she got super lucky with Missy! And I ADORE those photos of those runners, they're so snuggly!

I think she got super lucky with Missy! And I ADORE those photos of those runners, they're so snuggly!
I Know What You Mean About Those Snuggly Runners. Every time I see pics of the three of them snuggled together I just wanna melt. Their little heads are so round. And it's funny how Missy is. She is definitely a multi dimensional burd.

How are Bean and Wobbles doing?

Ok here are my emu diapers from Sammi in live!

Don't worry I am still working on that YouTube video!

That is the most wonderful thing ever!!!! The guy I got my buff Pomeranians from has a few emu chicks for sale. I love the noises the mature males make!! Have not been able to convince hubby to shell out the cash for them yet.....

That is the most wonderful thing ever!!!! The guy I got my buff Pomeranians from has a few emu chicks for sale. I love the noises the mature males make!! Have not been able to convince hubby to shell out the cash for them yet.....

How much was he selling the chicks for? I bought my eggs for 15 dollars a piece and got a 100% hatch!!!! Woohooo! There is a lady about an hour away from me that gives away a bunch of emu chicks a year but her Male raises them so they are skittish and a skittish 6ft bird can be dangerous. Her male once cut open her husbands leg and they had to go the ER and he got 120 stitches I believe. It just sliced his leg down the middle.

How much was he selling the chicks for? I bought my eggs for 15 dollars a piece and got a 100% hatch!!!! Woohooo! There is a lady about an hour away from me that gives away a bunch of emu chicks a year but her Male raises them so they are skittish and a skittish 6ft bird can be dangerous. Her male once cut open her husbands leg and they had to go the ER and he got 120 stitches I believe. It just sliced his leg down the middle.

$450 for a pair. And wow! $15 an egg? That's the best price I've seen yet for them!!!

Missy is raising an army of shut ins.... The weather was warm and wet, so I tried to put the ducklings outside to play. She called them back, and scolded them for running off, biting anyone who lingered by the door, herding them all into the far corner so she could make sure everyone was accounted for.
She doesn't understand that everyone can't be house ducks...

6 feet? GEEZ. What's their size then compared to an ostrich's? Kevin and Kayala and Julie are gonna take over your house when they get that big and put you outside in the aviary to live.
gig.gif

Missy stepped up her game and stole a nest. I don't know of anyone local aside from myself that breeds show quality saxonies, but I probably should be thinking about finding her a mate...

Those totally aren't her eggs...

I was really hoping for winter ducklings in the house again...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom