Show off your house ducks!

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on the site. I just recently started working full time. SOOO much to catch up with. I can't decide where to begin.

Congratulations to all the new members.
And Hello to everyone else.
Happy weekend.

@LadyHawkeAvry, am so sorry to hear about pale girl. A loss is never really easy to deal with.

Glad to see all the pictures of happy ducks growing up! Its been quite an adventure for me.
My mixed flock (all ducks) are finally getting along and have accepted each other and snuggle most of the time, even in the heat, save little Nyne (maybe a mallard not rouen) she gets left out but never seen more than a few feet away.
My two Pekins, the oldest of the bunch at 8wks, fully feathered (and have just started moulting, THANK GOODNESS I READ THIS THREAD OTHWISE I WOULD HAVE FREAKED OUT) anyway, they - Frank and bean (almost 100% F is a Drake and B is a duck) seem to have taken over as the two seniors of the group. It doesn't seem as if anyone else minds. They all tromp happily after the two.
I still wish I knew what breed this one is... the brown one. And the grey with the bib...

The rest are Rouens /mallards, and my one runner.
Greyfeather who had "shakey leg" a few weeks back still comes inside at nite. Although I add brewers yeast to their food in the morning, I like to know he's getting a good share of vitimanins. He's a very spoiled bed duck, and seems to love it!

AAHHHHHH I could go on and on about the babies! But I think I'll stop for now.

Enjoy the pictures. Oh - @Juliebird, I think of you often as greyfeather and I are snuggled in bed.

I think DH is getting tired of having a bed duck! I'll invest in a diaper or learn to make one soon.

The blue 1 being kissed is an indian runner. Head & bill shape are a dead give away. The brown 1 & the bibbed 1 may also be runners. Can you get a standing profile view that shows neck, head & bill?

My ducks live inside, in their "bed" I put the pine shavings as bedding. Most people say straw is better but I'm thinking that's for outside ducks in their pen. I want whatever is more comfortable for them. Any suggestions? I'm gonna be leaving as soon as tsc opens, my kids need mealworms, they aren't too happy right now. So I need to know asap! Thanks!!!
1f60b.png

I use flake pine for everything. It makes great mulch after the ducks soak it down. I have covered 2 planting beds and 1/4 of my garden with the used stuff so far!

Missy in the Inner Sanctum pen on TSC flake shavings (Notice the terrified looking young chickens)

I use flake pine for everything. It makes great mulch after the ducks soak it down. I have covered 2 planting beds and 1/4 of my garden with the used stuff so far!

Missy in the Inner Sanctum pen on TSC flake shavings (Notice the terrified looking young chickens)
thanks. That's exactly the same thing I use, and I like it, they seem to like it too. I just didn't know if straw was better

thanks. That's exactly the same thing I use, and I like it, they seem to like it too. I just didn't know if straw was better

I have seen birds on both, and they do well on either substrate. I would try both, and see which is easiest for you to maintain and clean in your pen. Stick with the one that ultimately is the least amount of work.

Im not realy sure what happened to Pancake. I moved him and his brothers to a bigger pen with a bigger pool and stayed out there and watched them get in and out with no problem...They were great for 3 days... Then when I went to check one afternoon I didnt see him with his brothers and freaked out.. I found him in the pool dead. The water level was to the top of the kiddy pool and he was fully flighted, so I cant see how he couldnt have gotten out.. Its going to be one of those mysteries I guess.
I buried him in the back by the woods in what we are now referrring to as our little pet cemetary. There are dogs, cats, chickens, ducks and even a hamster out there.

On a happier note.... Here are 2 pics of 2 of my mommas that hatched out babies recently. Brownie at the top and Rosie at the bottom.

You gave Pancake the best life a lil' duckie could ever hope for, Ali. I know how much you loved him. If you ever find that SD card I hope you can pick a nice photo of him to remember him by.

As for your new babies, they are nine kinds of precious. That little spotted one stole my heart!

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on the site. I just recently started working full time. SOOO much to catch up with. I can't decide where to begin.

Congratulations to all the new members.
And Hello to everyone else.
Happy weekend.

@LadyHawkeAvry , am so sorry to hear about pale girl. A loss is never really easy to deal with.

Glad to see all the pictures of happy ducks growing up! Its been quite an adventure for me.
My mixed flock (all ducks) are finally getting along and have accepted each other and snuggle most of the time, even in the heat, save little Nyne (maybe a mallard not rouen) she gets left out but never seen more than a few feet away.
My two Pekins, the oldest of the bunch at 8wks, fully feathered (and have just started moulting, THANK GOODNESS I READ THIS THREAD OTHWISE I WOULD HAVE FREAKED OUT) anyway, they - Frank and bean (almost 100% F is a Drake and B is a duck) seem to have taken over as the two seniors of the group. It doesn't seem as if anyone else minds. They all tromp happily after the two.
I still wish I knew what breed this one is... the brown one. And the grey with the bib...

The rest are Rouens /mallards, and my one runner.
Greyfeather who had "shakey leg" a few weeks back still comes inside at nite. Although I add brewers yeast to their food in the morning, I like to know he's getting a good share of vitimanins. He's a very spoiled bed duck, and seems to love it!

AAHHHHHH I could go on and on about the babies! But I think I'll stop for now.

Enjoy the pictures. Oh - @Juliebird , I think of you often as greyfeather and I are snuggled in bed.

I think DH is getting tired of having a bed duck! I'll invest in a diaper or learn to make one soon.

Aaaaw, thank you for thinking of me when you are giving cutie Greyfeather kisses. You are so lucky. Your flock is beautiful. I love all your pictures.

Back
Top Bottom