Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Hello everyone, my friend @RavynFallen sent me here. On Tuesday I took in a group of OEGBs that were dumped on the property across from a coworker's house. For being dumped they look to be in good shape, but they have scaly leg mites that I'm working on treating and one of the roosters has spurs that are about to grow back into his legs. I don't have good pictures yet (wanted to get some today but a Nor'easter came through and it was hard enough taking care of everyone in that without taking pictures) but I hope to get some tomorrow. I think what I have is two wheaten roosters, some wheaten and maybe blue wheaten hens, one that I think may be porcelain, and one that I have no clue on. I'm hoping you guys can help me identify them.

:frow

Good to see you here, Pyxis! And so glad you took those poor little birds in! Good on ya!

Can't wait to see more pics of them! :)

I think you *might* have at least 1 boy, but not completely sure...

I am also not sure about them being OEGB??? Just because *I think* that all the colors of OEGB that start with that specific chick down should have white legs, not slate...

@jophus is that correct?

I've had brassies and blue brassies start out striped like that, but they're usually a little darker. I can't think of any other ducklwing chicks with blue legs.

Could be Dutch bantams.

I think you have a little roo too. I consider any chick with disruption of the head stripe or broken eye stripes to be a roo until they show me otherwise. It's not 100%, but it's true more often than not. The little chick with the head shot is kind of a tweener, but I'd lean towards it being a cockerel (60/40ish kind of deal). This is based on the premise that it would be a pure OEGB chick. I don't know how it works in other breeds.

In the pic of the 2 chicks, the one to the left is a cockerel from what I can see.

Check their breasts as they feather. Black feathers there mean roo.

Last edited:

Here is Prince Charming, my silver duckwing oegb, approximately 4wks in this photo. He matured very quickly compared to my pullets, so it was pretty easy to sex him. Plus, he started crowing at 6wks which helped, lol
1f602.png

Okay, pictures. Please excuse their poor feet; like I said, they all seem to have scaly leg mites, some worse than others. I gave them all their first dose of Ivermectin as I was getting these pictures. Their next dose will be at night, that's for sure. Also sorry that I'm holding them, it's the only way I can get pictures of them in their temporary quarantine setup.

Hen one, I think wheaten:

Hen two, also wheaten as my guess:

Hen three, I have no idea:

Hen four, I think maybe blue wheaten:

Hen five, I was thinking porcelain at first but after looking at her up close I'm not so sure:

Rooster one, wheaten as my guess:

Rooster two, also guessing wheaten:

Rooster two had spurs that were about to start growing back into his legs, so those had to be trimmed. All of their nails were way too long and starting to curl and grow in weird ways, like they were never allowed on the ground to scratch and keep them worn down. And the leg bands you see on them were on them when I picked them up, so I don't know if these were somebody's breeding birds that they just dumped when they were done with them or what.

Okay, pictures. Please excuse their poor feet; like I said, they all seem to have scaly leg mites, some worse than others. I gave them all their first dose of Ivermectin as I was getting these pictures. Their next dose will be at night, that's for sure. Also sorry that I'm holding them, it's the only way I can get pictures of them in their temporary quarantine setup.

Hen one, I think wheaten:

Hen two, also wheaten as my guess:

Hen three, I have no idea:

Hen four, I think maybe blue wheaten:

Hen five, I was thinking porcelain at first but after looking at her up close I'm not so sure:

Rooster one, wheaten as my guess:

Rooster two, also guessing wheaten:

Rooster two had spurs that were about to start growing back into his legs, so those had to be trimmed. All of their nails were way too long and starting to curl and grow in weird ways, like they were never allowed on the ground to scratch and keep them worn down. And the leg bands you see on them were on them when I picked them up, so I don't know if these were somebody's breeding birds that they just dumped when they were done with them or what.

The rooster is a Black breasted red like the one in my profile pic that are very docile boys. I also have 3 hens. I have leads that they love to free range and that the roos are very protective. A friend got 2 form me and they ran on big roo off and killed another. But they are great twords people mine likes to come in and watch tv every now and then.

Hen 3 has a campine pattern, so that would make her a red quill/ginger red. Hen 5 is indeed porcelain, best I can tell from the pic. They don't photograph well, and I've never seen a pic of one that does the bird justice. You have to see them in person. Your roos are BBR.

Hen 3 has a campine pattern, so that would make her a red quill/ginger red. Hen 5 is indeed porcelain, best I can tell from the pic. They don't photograph well, and I've never seen a pic of one that does the bird justice. You have to see them in person. Your roos are BBR.

Thanks much! I was thinking wheaten on the roos because these guys seem to be a dumped breeding group and that made more sense to me that they would match the hens. How can you tell the difference visually between wheaten and BBR? I checked my SOP over before making these guesses and their color descriptions are nearly identical.

Any clue what I would get with those roosters over these hens color wise?

Back
Top Bottom