Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

When I first started hatching, I killed several not being patient. I've had them pip towards the middle or lower part of the egg, have another chick turn the egg to where the pip is on bottom and have had them drown that way.

Hatching, especially with incubators is a constant learning experience. Even then, you'll still have crappy hatches occasionally.

Anybody here ever hatch turkeys? If appreciate advice if you have. Gonna put some in the incubator tonight.

So true, unfortunately, its just a fact of hatching.

I hatched turkeys once, with ducks. I only had 4 eggs, one was clear, lost 2 during a 2-day power outage on day 14, sub-zero temps outside (generator hooked up on day 15). One hatched. They can stand a little higher humidity but basically the same as hatching chicks, except that extra killer week! Lol
I don't know anything about Sweetgrass. Mine were bourbon reds and blue slate. I ended up with a gorgeous self blue slate.

Omigosh!! Lots of lovely birds!! It's nice seeing what's all out there.
I was not familiar with oegbs before last year.
I don't know of anyone around here who has them except the people I got my few chicks from.
There weren't any at the local small bird/animal sale either.

I just had 20 hatch out under 4 broodies a week + ago and a couple in the incubator this week.
They're too addictive!
love.gif

gig.gif

So true, unfortunately, its just a fact of hatching.

I hatched turkeys once, with ducks. I only had 4 eggs, one was clear, lost 2 during a 2-day power outage on day 14, sub-zero temps outside (generator hooked up on day 15). One hatched. They can stand a little higher humidity but basically the same as hatching chicks, except that extra killer week! Lol
I don't know anything about Sweetgrass. Mine were bourbon reds and blue slate. I ended up with a gorgeous self blue slate.

I put an add on CL looking for hatching eggs. Rare breed chickens, pheasants, ducks, quail, guineas, whatever. Lo and behold this guy lives 15" from me and has all types of turkeys, things I've never heard of. All heritage breeds. I bought a dozen Sweetgrass eggs from him. Very pretty turkeys, kind of calico colored.

I put an add on CL looking for hatching eggs. Rare breed chickens, pheasants, ducks, quail, guineas, whatever. Lo and behold this guy lives 15" from me and has all types of turkeys, things I've never heard of. All heritage breeds. I bought a dozen Sweetgrass eggs from him. Very pretty turkeys, kind of calico colored.

WalnutHill and RavynFallen hatch turkeys. Be careful, you said you love hatching babies, they say raising poults is more addictive than chicks.

That scares me.

Ravyn? How do I do this? Better yet, how do you do this?

I've only hatched 2 batches, lol, but they were shipped eggs... I ran mine in a dry bator, 100.5F temp and about 30% humidity, auto turner and candled to watch the air cells... 28 days, lockdown day 25... they have a much tougher shell and the membrane can be like leather, so lockdown humidity needs to be higher... I think I did mine at 75% and they hatched fine...

Also, mine were a mix of heritage and broad breasteds, so not sure if that makes a difference either... Sweetgrass are pretty birds... if I hadn't become friends with Walnut, those would have probably been my first choice to try just for the heck of it...

Poults imprint super easy... they're also easy to get to use a rabbit waterer too... they catch a chill easier than chicks, but since you brood super tiny bantams I bet you're fine there...

Anything else, just ask... I can't think of anything to add for now... I'll see if I can get Walnut to pop on to the thread, she is the real expert... :D

@Jophus now I know what you were talking about when you said "it's hard to hatch OEGB" so I lost one in the shell. Managed to hatch one and was dry and moving around. Came out this morning and must of fell off the nesting box and froze to death. Got some in the bator. I got all summer to hatch about 15. Better luck next time

I've only hatched 2 batches, lol, but they were shipped eggs... I ran mine in a dry bator, 100.5F temp and about 30% humidity, auto turner and candled to watch the air cells... 28 days, lockdown day 25... they have a much tougher shell and the membrane can be like leather, so lockdown humidity needs to be higher... I think I did mine at 75% and they hatched fine...

Also, mine were a mix of heritage and broad breasteds, so not sure if that makes a difference either... Sweetgrass are pretty birds... if I hadn't become friends with Walnut, those would have probably been my first choice to try just for the heck of it...

Poults imprint super easy... they're also easy to get to use a rabbit waterer too... they catch a chill easier than chicks, but since you brood super tiny bantams I bet you're fine there...

Anything else, just ask... I can't think of anything to add for now... I'll see if I can get Walnut to pop on to the thread, she is the real expert...
big_smile.png

My biggest question is humidity. If you could dial it in at a percentage, what would that percentage be? Right now I'm going with 45%. Seems to be where this particular incubator gives me the best air cell development over the course of my incubation. Once I get them to the hatcher, and start getting internal pips, I'll go much higher, 75-80% or so. Once they've pipped, I don't think you can go too high, outside of setting them in a bowl of water. That's my plan until someone advises me differently.

Edit: Actually found a thread on here that confirms this, as well as the dry hatch thing you suggested. Guy even uses a Reptipro to incubate turkey eggs. I've been looking at those, may have to look a little harder.

He also suggests dropping the temp a degree during the hatch, and his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom