Show off your Peas!

@Dany12 he knows what spaldings are and about their properties. Kskingbee raises literally hundreds of peafowl each year, many of which are spaldings.

Friend, I know you're very enthusiastic, but if you're gonna be here you've gotta calm down a bit on telling people their business like you're the only one who knows anything. It just comes off as a bit rude/condescending (for example, telling someone who has raised thousands of birds "if it was 75% it would be greener!” and linking to examples feels both condescending and judgemental, like you think he didn't know that already and that the birds weren't good enough) and I'm sure you don't intend that. I just want all of us to have fun here :)

A beauty!
It turns blue ... or blue/green? ... the new feathers are blue?
How much is the spalding percentage estimated?
If it was 75% it would be 'greener'!
http://www.leggspeafowl.com/spalding-black-shoulder.html

The neck feathers appear to be a mix of both blue and green, I have never seen anything like it and Brad Legg was just as confused as I am with this one. This cock is a product of two low Spaulding Purple Black Shoulder birds. This shouldn't have happened and should not appear as it does.

What most people do not understand is that Spaulding does not breed true after the first crossing which is why large breeders do not use % numbers except to explain to newbies. We normally say low, mid, mid to high, and high Spaulding as the offspring can exhibit Spaulding traits either higher or lower than the parents. However, ones opinion of what those terms are will differ as well. Breeders of really nice high Spauldings will have lower opinions of the lesser birds and may seem somewhat snobbish as they are used to much better specimens but some colors when amped up will not improve the color but can be a determent.

Pushing a higher % into a sex-linked color will usually muddy the color and ruin the visuals for the sake of confirmation. Yes, you can get the long legs, neck, thin body, tight crest, and colored face but at the expense of the color. There have been some bloodlines that are remarkable but they are far and few in between and get sold out of the USA for incredible money. Those breeders do not want competition...

@Dany12 he knows what spaldings are and about their properties. Kskingbee raises literally hundreds of peafowl each year, many of which are spaldings.

Friend, I know you're very enthusiastic, but if you're gonna be here you've gotta calm down a bit on telling people their business like you're the only one who knows anything. It just comes off as a bit rude/condescending (for example, telling someone who has raised thousands of birds "if it was 75% it would be greener!” and linking to examples feels both condescending and judgemental, like you think he didn't know that already and that the birds weren't good enough) and I'm sure you don't intend that. I just want all of us to have fun here :)

I don't know everything!
In my speech ... there are at least two questions!
The questions are for KsKingbee ... the bird is his ... no?
Raising a lot of peacocks is one thing ... never to see what they become is something else!
There are so many things happening by chance!

The neck feathers appear to be a mix of both blue and green, I have never seen anything like it and Brad Legg was just as confused as I am with this one.

Sometimes peacocks are not well labeled ... it may be a Pavo muticus domesticus!

This cock is a product of two low Spaulding Purple Black Shoulder birds. This shouldn't have happened and should not appear as it does.

There ... we learned something!
My questions aren't so stupid!
We need a good definition of hybridism! The genes 'memories' do they exist? ... Damn ... another question! :oops:

@KsKingBee do you think that coloration on the yearling will clear up in the future at all? If he was out of purples, do you think he will turn more purple over time or keep the weird blue-green?

Only time will tell. I am hoping to see actual purple but it does not seem likely. This guy is showing a lot of Spaulding and getting better daily, he is already bigger than his daddy. The bird in questions egg was laid and hatched in that pen and has never been out of it. At the very least he is split Purple but who knows, he may turn out to be something special or a complete bust as just another Spaulding. Next year we will pair him with a Spaulding PBS hen and see what happens. His mature colors will not be known for another couple of years.
IMG_7697.JPG
IMG_7691.JPG

so :low spalding Purple X low spalding Purple = NOT always 100% low spalding Purple !
Here the spalding level has increased and he would have only one gene Purple.

Only time will tell. I am hoping to see actual purple but it does not seem likely. This guy is showing a lot of Spaulding and getting better daily, he is already bigger than his daddy. The bird in questions egg was laid and hatched in that pen and has never been out of it. At the very least he is split Purple but who knows, he may turn out to be something special or a complete bust as just another Spaulding. Next year we will pair him with a Spaulding PBS hen and see what happens. His mature colors will not be known for another couple of years.
View attachment 1789819 View attachment 1789821

He’s gorgeous! If he turns out to be “just another spalding” you can send him to my house, lol.

Back
Top Bottom