Show off your Peas!

Get it covered. I lost my first peahen because she decided to make her nest out in the open. I found her apparently drowned after a night of thunderstorms with torrential downpours. She was still on the nest and the eggs were still safe under her, but they were almost submerged in water and she was just dead, no injuries I could find. That was when I quit letting hens decide where to nest.
hit.gif
That is so sad...
hugs.gif
Here I worry about my ducks making nests out in the open, but not because of rain, I worry about the sun!

-Kathy

The last time I let then out! They didn't come home for4 days!
You have to shepherd them and teach them where not to go once they leave the coup area, i can't believe they left that area so fast without older peas to show them the way, mine took months for the first batch to leave the coup area the next batches left much faster but still not as fast as your did, where did they go anyway?

You have to shepherd them and teach them where not to go once they leave the coup area, i can't believe they left that area so fast without older peas to show them the way, mine took months for the first batch to leave the coup area the next batches left much faster but still not as fast as your did, where did they go anyway?
First night they went up the road then they went to a large wooded area across the road . There we chased then for 3 hours! They showed up at their pen 3 days later

Get it covered. I lost my first peahen because she decided to make her nest out in the open. I found her apparently drowned after a night of thunderstorms with torrential downpours. She was still on the nest and the eggs were still safe under her, but they were almost submerged in water and she was just dead, no injuries I could find. That was when I quit letting hens decide where to nest.
hit.gif

I'm awfully sorry about your hen.
sad.png
Did the babies live?

I'm awfully sorry about your hen.
sad.png
Did the babies live?

Unfortunately, no. This was quite a few years ago and we didn't even own an incubator at the time. None of the other peahens were broody, so there was nothing I could do for the eggs.
sad.png

I had lost peas to foxes before and this was just a last straw moment for me, I will not free range any hens from April thru August now. Hens are very hard to come by around here and I now understand why.

Back
Top Bottom