Show off your Peas!

Hello All! I've been dying to write about my peas, and have a little spot of time open! For all of my lovely friends here who have helped me, ya'll know I'm taking my first 15 hours of college and it's crazy! I have so many things to talk about!
ep.gif
I must have the WEIRDEST Peas ever! I currently have a dilemma on getting them to try new snacks..

They love my fingers. As in, want to devour them. No joke, they latch onto my finger and hold on tight. I think I started this habit with them as chicks, because I was always holding them... They also have decided that nothing is worth trying if it doesn't come off my fingers. Problem - They can't decide if they want to try what is in my hand or tear my fingers off!
The only thing they really seem to enjoy eating is grass that I've been picking for them since they were little chicks. They also love watermelon. They will pick it clean until the rind is white. I also tried dried meal worms, they weren't too pleased. I don't blame them. Otherwise, we haven't really tried much.. I was afraid they'd choke or get sick. I didn't know there were so many snacks you could give them, either.

I've been doing some research on Pea nutrition, (which is pretty hard to come by.) I've been making my way through Resolution's thread, taking notes as I go. This past weekend I offered Boston leaf lettuce, and Spring Mix. They were kinda uninterested. Today, I offered celery tops, kale, and a banana. Toaster is always the first one to try something, and he demands to be hand fed.. Spoiled, much? He took the celery out of my hand and spit it out right there ... I tried the kale next. He took it and dropped it. Then, one of the hens snatched it and ran, suddenly it was a game! Then they all wanted a piece! I don't think anyone ate it, but everyone had it in their mouth! Next I try the banana. Toaster gets really excited and starts making these happy little sounds, and I start laughing and try to mimic it. Whoops! They all FREAK OUT and suddenly my peachicks become meerkats! They all run away, stand up as straight and tall as they can, and puff up their neck feathers like crazy, and start looking around. After that, they wouldn't come to me OR the banana.... I give them their nasty-old bag food and they dive in.... *sigh*

It seems my peas are not "foodies".. The watermelon wasn't a smash hit right off the bat, so hopefully they develop a taste for the other snacks too. Does anyone else have super picky eaters?
I think generally all peafowl are picky. Mine don't like "normal" food. The main food everyone feeds theirs like game bird feed...Nope my peafowl won't eat it. I give them sunflower seeds as their main food then cat food for protein, some greens, and all sorts of treats. I think everyone's peafowl have different tastes. I can tell you that when I first bought some of my peas, they were accustomed to eating whatever their previous owner fed them, but after eating what I feed if I try what they were fed by their last owner they will no longer want to eat it! Some foods they don't seem to want unless if you make it into small pieces for them. If you shred carrots, apples, squash, and cucumber they will eat the shreds of it. They love shredded broccoli as well. I have one peacock that will grab most of my fingers when he goes to grab a few of his favorite foods from me. It can be startling when he does it, so therefore I do not let people who are already a little afraid of the peafowl hand feed him! The little happy noises Toaster made were happy food noises. They were probably little squeak noises. I love that noise. If one of my birds finds a big bug they will make that noise.

Dang 15 hours of college! Yikes! Why are you taking so much? Well this year I have finally gotten into my major of Graphic Design, and it is very tiring because it is project after project after project. Today was my long day which consisted of using blades to cut chip board to make a scale model in 3D class and then in my next class, Printmaking, we are going to start working with very dangerous chemicals! Hooray (NOT!) Anyways today in that class I finished up some of my colored prints and then started smoothing out a big copper plate for a new type of printing we will be doing. Today I was at college from 11:00 AM to 4:47 PM with 2 back to back art classes, so I am really tired but it is very rewarding. I am so glad to be done with math, science, etc.

Each of my peafowl have their own favorite.

Colbolt loves tomatoes!
That is funny that your adult peacock loves tomatoes. My eldest peacock, Alto, loves tomatoes as well!
I agree each of my peas has a favorite. Peep loves cat food and yogurt. Ice loves lettuce. Damsel loves grapes and most fruit. Frosty loves mash and bread. Shyanne loves bugs, bread, and scuppernongs. Snow White loves bread and almost anything else she can get without the other peafowl taking it from her.

Really all of them love bugs, but for some reason Peep does not eat bugs. He did eat a lot when he was little but now I see him kill a bug and then he won't eat it and another peafowl will come along and eat it.

That is ironic. I love seeing my birds and a grasshopper flies by. Grass, grass, grass, GRASSHOPPER! They will chase a grasshopper and forget there's a fence right there. My peafowl love it during the summer. We have lots of vegetables in the garden because we make lots of salsa so during salsa time they all get a lovely treat for 3 months. It's like Thanksgiving for them that lasts for a week. All leftover and bad vegetables the peafowl get, they go crazy .

Last edited:
I love watching them chase grasshoppers too! Watching peafowl chase any bug is pretty funny. Ooh salsa! We had some old leftover salsa that my mom made so I gave it to the peas.

I have very, very few bugs due to the guineas and the peas. The other day I found a Black Widow, I use to be overrun wit them until I got the birds. She had 2 egg sacks, so I went to get something to kill her with. When I got back the inside of the cinder block was empty. My peacock was standing there with almost a smile on his face! I guess he ate her and her eggs!

Zaz needs your birds to teach hers to eat up all of the poisonous spiders. I remember Zaz mentioning that she has had some bad spider bites several times.

Back
Top Bottom