Show off your Peas!

Kathy, speaking of dr help. Help! I have washed the rear end of a chick everyday. It has I guess what you would call pasty but. What can I do to help besides washing it and keeping it from being stopped up!

Kathy, speaking of dr help. Help! I have washed the rear end of a chick everyday. It has I guess what you would call pasty but. What can I do to help besides washing it and keeping it from being stopped up!
Pasty butt is caused from dehydration IMO wet down their feed and see if that does not stop it, until then clip away the down from the rear and put some Vaseline on the area

Chicken chick? What does the poop look like?

-Kathy

So bator running and I got my humidity to 61% is that too high?

Sorry. Adding setting Pea eggs today

I ran mine up there around 55% last year and I had a lot of chicks that either did not hatch even though they were fully developed, or they needed help getting out. Personally I believe that they did not lose enough moisture and were too large to peck their way out. This year I am incubating at mid to low 40s and will hatch out at a higher percentage. I think that different regions require different moisture percentages. Eggs are supposed to lose around 10 to 15% of their weight, so you can weigh them at set and again midway and see how they progress.

Chicken chick? What does the poop look like?

-Kathy

It is only one now it was 2. It looks like regular poo! I cut the fluff around it's rump. It seems to be getting better. It is the only way I could get Cochin hens! I had to buy day old babies!

After I cut it again

I ran mine up there around 55% last year and I had a lot of chicks that either did not hatch even though they were fully developed, or they needed help getting out.  Personally I believe that they did not lose enough moisture and were too large to peck their way out.  This year I am incubating at mid to low 40s and will hatch out at a higher percentage.  I think that different regions require different moisture percentages.  Eggs are supposed to lose around 10 to 15% of their weight, so you can weigh them at set and again midway and see how they progress. 

Thanks. I lowered it to 50%. Does that sound better?

New kids! Two new purple pied hens, one of them blackshoulder:

They need names... All my pied girls have "space" names: Aurora, Sola, Lune, Penumbra (Penny! Penny the purple pied peahen)... gotta find two more now!

Back
Top Bottom