Show off your Peas!

Her Java Green hen. She said she started with 19 and then sold down to 2 pairs. She had a friend of hers that has raised them for 30 years say they are Greens is what she said. What do you guys think? I'm no expert but they look like Greens to me. If I get Greens I'll probably get some from her since they are so cheap for Greens.

Java Green cock on the right and Java Green hen on left.

I personally would avoid a green hen with that much bronze look to her. To me that is impure. Josh likes to breed for spalding hens with that kind of bronze neck color. It appears to be a spalding trait. It is true that on green peahens they will have a thin line of bronze to their chest feathers similar to how India Blue peahens will have thin lacing of a crème color. A green peahen should be almost just as colorful as the green male and they should be very similar in the neck. This peahen isn't brilliant enough on her neck. The hen in the 6th picture is better looking than the bronze necked one. The hen in the 8th picture looks good. All of the males appear to be too blue/green in my opinion. It is hard to say for sure with photos of course, but for these to be Javas I think the color of green needs to be lighter and more solid green than that blueish cast it has. Also the male(s) appear as though the blue on their wing isn't brilliant enough - It could be that they still have old feathers there. The peahen in photo #8 does have nice blue on her wings, but for the Javas/Muticus Muticus it should be a blue-green on the wings. Like an electric blue. The blue color on the hen in photo 8 is more of an imperator (Indo-Chinese) wing color.
Here are some Javas:
Two hens. They are not even in full sunlight and you can see how the light blue has lots of green shine. Also note their neck coloration.

Male's back. Note the light color of green. Each scale feather has a thin rim of black and that is what makes the feathers so pronounced looking.

Male's wing

Example of a Spalding hen at Rocking BAB. She has that bronze on her front.

I am awfully picky about greens though.

I personally would avoid a green hen with that much bronze look to her. To me that is impure. Josh likes to breed for spalding hens with that kind of bronze neck color. It appears to be a spalding trait. It is true that on green peahens they will have a thin line of bronze to their chest feathers similar to how India Blue peahens will have thin lacing of a crème color. A green peahen should be almost just as colorful as the green male and they should be very similar in the neck. This peahen isn't brilliant enough on her neck. The hen in the 6th picture is better looking than the bronze necked one. The hen in the 8th picture looks good. All of the males appear to be too blue/green in my opinion. It is hard to say for sure with photos of course, but for these to be Javas I think the color of green needs to be lighter and more solid green than that blueish cast it has. Also the male(s) appear as though the blue on their wing isn't brilliant enough - It could be that they still have old feathers there. The peahen in photo #8 does have nice blue on her wings, but for the Javas/Muticus Muticus it should be a blue-green on the wings. Like an electric blue. The blue color on the hen in photo 8 is more of an imperator (Indo-Chinese) wing color.
Here are some Javas:
Two hens. They are not even in full sunlight and you can see how the light blue has lots of green shine. Also note their neck coloration.

Male's back. Note the light color of green. Each scale feather has a thin rim of black and that is what makes the feathers so pronounced looking.

Male's wing

Example of a Spalding hen at Rocking BAB. She has that bronze on her front.

I am awfully picky about greens though.

The Greens in my photos are the same 3 birds through out all the pictures. The other Green male she had was really flighty and I tried to get a picture but with him flying everywhere I left him alone fast. Don't need to stress out other people's birds. She wants me to come back out in the Spring when her males have their trains.

I finally got Colbolt and Sage tame! I decided to do have my mom take photos of just me and Colbolt for now. Senior pictures though I'm hoping to have all of my peafowl with me. New record took a month of working with a 5 year old Indian Blue peacock to get tame for me!

Beautiful bird!

Are you handling them like falcons with jesses etc? In the picture it looks like your using falconry gear.

I never would have thought of trying that with such a heavy bodied bird. Have you ever had one get injured working with them that way?

With falcons, they're trained to come to you for food, I'm curious if your doing something similar so that the birds actually want to come to you or if you catch them, add the foot gear and then work with them from there. If you do catch them or keep them constantly tied...do you plan on trying to get them so they come to you and if so how?

Sorry for so many questions! Your picture is intriguing and my mind just went pop with questions...lol.

Beautiful bird!

Are you handling them like falcons with jesses etc? In the picture it looks like your using falconry gear.

I never would have thought of trying that with such a heavy bodied bird. Have you ever had one get injured working with them that way?

With falcons, they're trained to come to you for food, I'm curious if your doing something similar so that the birds actually want to come to you or if you catch them, add the foot gear and then work with them from there. If you do catch them or keep them constantly tied...do you plan on trying to get them so they come to you and if so how?

Sorry for so many questions! Your picture is intriguing and my mind just went pop with questions...lol.

Arm braces, tethers, yep! Similar to falconry gear except these I made. Peafowl also have a very tight grip on the arm making it easy for a heavy bird to make your arm cramp up or after so long that I learned the hard way arm locking up. They can get hurt the ones I have tame now have not been hurt. I try to avoid it as much as I can. My birds will come in and pace when they see I have feed, treats, if it's bed time for them. I have to catch them. They are trained to behave once they are caught. It can be hand on their back, giving them a hug, or getting a hold of the legs. It's hard to give them a hug when the male has a train so I have to have him lay down and then I tilt him on his side and get a leg and put the tether on. Very little to no problems. Sometimes it surprises him and he moves his leg really fast slicing my hand with the spur on accident. Spurs will cut deep and sting like none other. I would say I end up getting the damage not my birds. Sometimes if they loose their balance they will flap their wings which are at least 4 feet wide and my arm is only 3 feet long so I get smacked by a wing. If they are not on the arm brace and have one foot on my hand the claws slice and dig into my hand. If I don't listen to my arm it locks up. Though at fairs and shows there are little kids that don't know any better and reach up and pull my bird's tail which ends up with the kids getting smack by a large and powerful wing. It takes time, patients, and rewarding the bird to get them like this. My birds cooperate easier they get to go back with their friends sooner. It's how I train them.

Sounds like an ambitious project you have there! I'm sure you're learning a great deal from it as well.

All my peas were hand raised so the girls treat me as a male...they freeze and squat when I approach so I give em a quick pet on the back. The boy just chases me around pecking me all over in the hopes that a meal worm will pop out...he knows I probably have some somewhere half the time...lol. As tame as they are though, they can tear me up sometimes if I ever need to pick them up! Other times they're so sweet and easy to carry...lol.

Have you worked with birds of prey at all or is this your first attempt at training?

Sounds like an ambitious project you have there! I'm sure you're learning a great deal from it as well.

All my peas were hand raised so the girls treat me as a male...they freeze and squat when I approach so I give em a quick pet on the back. The boy just chases me around pecking me all over in the hopes that a meal worm will pop out...he knows I probably have some somewhere half the time...lol. As tame as they are though, they can tear me up sometimes if I ever need to pick them up! Other times they're so sweet and easy to carry...lol.

Have you worked with birds of prey at all or is this your first attempt at training?

The squatting I believe is the hen is expecting to be bred. I have a hen that would squat for younger males though none of them knew what to do. I haven't worked with any bird of prey. I wish I could but never have since I don't have a Falconry or Raptors license.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom