Show off your Peas!

There is a product made in Mexico, Tri-Fen Plus and many years ago it was a combo of fenbendazole and ivermectin. Today it's a pill that has 30mg albendazole (fenbendazole) and .2mg abamectin, which is like ivermectin, I think. Dose is one pill per 2.2 pounds. Probably safe to use them together, but I would want to experiment on a bunch of chickens first, lol. It looks like this:

-Kathy
I have been using it on my other birds 40+ for the last 3 round of worming none have dropped yet from it, so will have to keep testing with it.. I have been using it for the last 6 years or so on my 4 legged buddies to treat for worms including Heartworms, Dosed at the Sheep weight on the bottle.. Thanks for the info.

I think this would only apply if you did not get all the worms and their eggs at the time of worming, keeping them on a schedule should where the worms are killed in a timely matter and not leaving any behind to build up a resistance.
wink.png
This is why we say when you give antibiotics give them as per instruction and don't just stop cause they are getting better cause anything left behind can build up a resistance and you would have to use a different antibiotic next time , if there is one.

This is just how i understand these things work.

That's right. The problem comes in where no wormer works at 100%, there are too many variables. IMO our best bet is to either vary the wormer used or "layer" them. My experience hasn't been gained with peas, I've only had them a few years. I've raised horses and poultry for over 50 years and am applying that to peas. The advice ZAZ posted about antibiotics is the only way I know of to try to slow down the resistance problem, but even if it was followed 100% it would only slow the process down, we can't stop it, that's what keeps pharmas in business. All the above is just something we need to be aware of and make allowances for.

I think too many people under dose when worming and in those cases, you're right, but some of the studies I have read showed 100% efficacy when dosed at a high enough rate. People don't seem to understand that different species require different doses. For example, cows, horses and goats get Fenbendazole at 5-10mg/kg once (except for horses when they get the 2x dose for five days), but dogs and cats get 50mg/kg for no less than three days. People read the label for goats and think the 5mg/kg for goat dose is what poultry should have, but it's not.

Note that when I say "people", it's doesn't mean the people in the peafowl forum, it just means people in general. :D

-Kathy

There are also Pyrantal Pamoate, but don't know what worms it would be good for, if any, and piperazine, but it only gets roundworms.

-Kathy

I know my peas are getting enough worm meds and they get it all, i do not use it in water, my thinking was that 1cc per bird and if i had 6 birds in the pen putting 3 cc per gallon means that all 6 would be getting a weak dose so i went to putting it in their their scrambled eggs and that assures me they are getting plenty.

Trefoil makes a good point and parasites are showing resistance. Twenty years ago horse people wormed their horses six times a year, sometimes more, but now I think the trend is to have routine fecals done and to customize your worming program as needed. The same is should probably be done for poultry. If I had a several fecals done and they only found evidence of roundworms, it would make sense to me to worm just for that, right? Heck, I'm just rambling, lol. Blah, blah, blah.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom