Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

I am still a newbie of two months. The last chicken I added is a rsl, Sassafras. I don't know her age, but when I bought her they told me she should start laying around Thanksgiving. Her comb is more red than it was. They told me she was starting to molt but I think it was missing feathers from a rooster.....is that usual for a rooster with a pullet that young? She never lost any more feathers after I brought her home and the ones she was missing have a grown back in. She is very friendly and runs to me when she thinks the others are not sharing food like they should. I do have a rooster but he doesn't seem to know yet that he is a man. We have never heard a crow yet either.

A sex-link is a generic term for a chicken that is able to be sexed at hatch due to differentiating fuzz color, i.e., in red sex-links the females hatch out reddish in hue and the males hatch out white or yellow and in black sex-links the chicks all hatch out black but the males have yellow dots on their heads.

For sex-links the usual combo is a red roo and a silver-gene (white) or barred hen.

Sex-links are a hybrid, so not sure what "full-blooded" sex-link means.

"Auto-sexing" is somewhat similar. It refers to a sexing characteristic of a breed that is evident without the necessity of a color combo, i.e., birds of particular breeds -- welsummers, golden cuckoo marans, bielefelders, crested cream legbars, rhodebars as some examples -- are able to be sexed at hatch by the differentiating fuzz color of the purebreds or, in once instance, the head spot passed on to the male chicks if the mother hen is a CCL. (Note: if the roo is a CCL, the auto-sexing feature does not hold true when bred to other breeds)

Last edited:
A sex-link is a generic term for a chicken that is able to be sexed at hatch due to differentiating fuzz color, i.e., in red sex-links the females hatch out reddish in hue and the males hatch out white or yellow and in black sex-links the chicks all hatch out black but the males have yellow dots on their heads.

For sex-links the usual combo is a red roo and a silver-gene (white) or barred hen.

Sex-links are a hybrid, so not sure what "full-blooded" sex-link means.

"Auto-sexing" is somewhat similar. It refers to a sexing characteristic of a breed that is evident without the necessity of a color combo, i.e., birds of particular breeds -- welsummers, golden cuckoo marans, bielefelders, crested cream legbars, rhodebars as some examples -- are able to be sexed at hatch by the differentiating fuzz color of the purebreds or, in once instance, the head spot passed on to the male chicks if the mother hen is a CCL. (Note: if the roo is a CCL, the auto-sexing feature does not hold true when bred to other breeds)

This is true. Over the years I have done some experimental breeding with Red Sex-Links. After a couple of generations the white/silver gene was dominant. This is a picture of some 3rd generation.

Back
Top Bottom